Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling through Dublin airport with guns

Options
  • 23-09-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just a quick question, I have an uk firearms cert and a europass. Is the europass all that I need to travel from Dublin via aerlingus with my guns or do I need a temp Irish certificate

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If a non (Irish) resident you need a firearms certificate. You apply, 6 weeks minimum before traveling, to the Superintendent of the district in which you intend to shoot. i think it costs €40, and stays i effect for 1 year. You also need to send your original EFP, and not a copy or it will be sent back.

Application form.

Edit - You also need to have any game licenses in place before applying. So if you are coming over for deer hunting you need to have your deer license sorted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭quicko

Sorry I am flying out of Dublin to go to Budapest , only traveling through the airport not shooting in Ireland

Apologies i read it wrong. Thought you were coming over from the UK to shoot in Ireland.

If you have the necessary documentation for the country you are heading to then that paperwork combined with your EFP should be fine as you will not be using it for any purposes while in Ireland.
    If unsure then ring DAA (Dublin Airport Authority) on (00353)18141111 and confirm it with them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

quicko wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I have an uk firearms cert and a europass. Is the europass all that I need to travel from Dublin via aerlingus with my guns or do I need a temp Irish certificate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you probably need to apply for a ROI Firearm Certificate (Non – Resident) if you're travelling through the state:

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Firearm%20Certificate%20Application%20Non%20Resident%20Firearms%20Acts%201925-2009%20as%20amended%5B1%5D.pdf

If it's for a centrefire pistol, you're into a very grey area. I don't think there is any mechanism to allow this happen, however the Department of Justice may be able to give you something on some DOJ headed paper;)

I thought the same, but the OP has said he is only connecting in Dublin, not actually shooting in the country.
    Sorry I am flying out of Dublin to go to Budapest , only traveling through the airport not shooting in Ireland
    However if he is staying over for a day/night and not catching a connecting flight immediately then an FAC may be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Doubtful that he will need a FAC.As the firearms will not leave customs/secure baggage if he is transiting onwards the next day.
    All firearms have to be checked as direct luggage to their destination.
    Once checked in they become airport police or securities responsibility to ensure they stay within the airport secure areas.Wether they make the flite is baggage handling responsibility.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I will be traveling from Ni with a rifle and only catching a flight from Southern Ireland . I was wondering if the Europass is all I need to catch the flight plus my uk fac. A friend mentioned a temp Irish fac may be needed. I will contact the doj to make 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

I believe if this is the case, you will definetly need a ROI visitors permit, as you will be traveling in the ROI with a firearm.

You will need to apply for a visitors permit, and can get the form from the Garda Website or on here, but it may get quite complicated as normally you would have to get the Gardai to issue the permit from the local station of the place you were going to use the firearm, but as you are not going to use it here, not so sure..

I would suggest you ring the Garda Firearms Policy Unit on 01 6661911 and get their advice.

Regards

DB

I will be traveling from Ni with a rifle and only catching a flight from Southern Ireland .
    So you will be traveling through the ROI with the firearms. In that case you will definitely need a permit/license to possess the firearm while in the south.
    Scalachi wrote: »
    I would suggest you ring the Garda Firearms Policy Unit on 01 6661911 and get their advice.
    That's good advice, but i can see them telling you that you need the permit/license. however they will be best able to advise you on who to apply for as you will be traveling through numerous districts, but not shooting in any of them. So as i mentioned above, and Scalachi said, who you apply to is all that needs to be clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

I will be traveling from Ni with a rifle and only catching a flight from Southern Ireland . I was wondering if the Europass is all I need to catch the flight plus my uk fac. A friend mentioned a temp Irish fac may be needed. I will contact the doj to make 100% sure

Go to the Dept of Justice website. Type in Firearms,explosives. Trawl a little bit and you will find a form to fill out to enable you to transit through the Republic.
    I asked a clayshooter from N.I what he did to travel;). Get cracking on it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Choose the 'Transit' option.

BornToKill wrote: »
    Choose the 'Transit' option.
    Thanks born to kill 100% what I was looking

Advertisement