Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sam homecoming info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Highland just said Ballybofey at 11:30. Guess that means Letterkenny no earlier than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Highland just said Ballybofey at 11:30. Guess that means Letterkenny no earlier than 1.

thats fecking crazy,

you'd a thought theyd have done a smaller amount of towns a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »
    thats fecking crazy,

Rumours flying around now saying that the county board have done this on badness as a way of sticking 2 fingers up at letterkenny chamber for trying to get the main homecoming.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Only getting back to this thread now. Was on the Diamond last night, and dispite the wind, rain, and ocassionaly subdude crowd, it was a very good night, even Daniel impressed me.

Although it did look like Free Wiskey were running out of songs to play during the delay, repeating a couple of them, and then playing Paplo Nutini and Bruce Springstein :D

As I had to be back in Sligo in the morning, I left after Jim had finished his speach. Walking down towards the pier for my lift it looked pretty clear that the council workers were going to have a big clear up ahead of them.

To finish, although I dont know a huge amount about GAA, I have been to a few Donegal matches, both League and All Ireland, admititly not for a few years, but I never quite appreciated the total amount of work and commitment that them lads but in. We should all be very proud.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

irish-stew wrote: »

To finish, although I dont know a huge amount about GAA, I have been to a few Donegal matches, both League and All Ireland, admititly not for a few years, but I never quite appreciated the total amount of work and commitment that them lads but in. We should all be very proud.

I'd have a lot of reservations about behind the scenes stuff in the GAA, at county level and at headquarters, but, the players themselves are a great example of sportsmen. Not just the Donegal team, but in general. They all have jobs, or are at college, and have family commitments and all sorts of other things going on in their lives, and there is pretty much zero financial rewards for their commitments but they show up before and after work to train all year round just because they want to be the best they can be. Far better examples for young kids than football players or most other sports stars.

• Advertisement

Was talking to one of the ones I work with who's loacted in the States. I basically said it would be the equivalent of the Superbowl. She said it would probably be more important because the players are all locals who work for a living. She also said her neighbour's county won the all ireland a few years ago so she knows how big a deal it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

danniemcq wrote: »
    thats fecking crazy,

From talking to a handful of Letterkenny based parents earlier this evening, its taking some of the gloss off things for them and their kids that they have to wait so long (into the night, not number of days) to see the team. It will also look fairly poor on the town in general as I'd imagine there wont be too many hanging around Letterkenny to greet them on a wet, windy night especially when the pubs are gonna be closed well in advance of them arriving.

Obviously the weather cant be helped nor can delays in the earlier towns but there should have been a little more thought put into visiting around the county, especially the few larger main hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

should have kept letterk for friday night 8pm. . what a party that would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Latest news from the MC in Ballybofey is that they hope to have the team there between 10:30 - 11:00 as they would be leaving Ardara "shortly" which effectively means that it will be well after 11 before they hit the twin towns so I have no idea what time they would be expected to arrive in Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

donegal democrat state that its postponed for arrival in letterkenny tonight

• Advertisement

feelpablo wrote: »
    That would be the sensible thing to do tbh

This is the best decision to be taken at this stage. Its obviously gonna screw up the next few days plans but I'm sure they can work things out some sort of way.

Despite the players & management being so generous with their time in every town they visit, they are only human and must be absolutely wrecked at this stage. Its a delicate balancing act that they are faced with over the next few days - do what everyone expects & demands while at the same time only doing what is physically possible.

No big panic as after all, we have Sam for the next year.:D

Link is broken now and nowhere to be seen on facebook, either on the demos page or anyone that shared it???
    dont know what that spells for it...weird one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

very badly organised tbh.. im sure im not the only one who cancelled plans to welcome the team to Letterkenny tonight

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Twitter is saying Letterkenny is still happening tonight. Bit of a shambles it seems. Hard thing to organise I suppose but common sense should have told them it was a bit ambitious to get around all those towns today.

Link is broken now and nowhere to be seen on facebook, either on the demos page or anyone that shared it???
    dont know what that spells for it...weird one!

Not sure, don't see anything on twitter about it either, cancelling would be the right thing to do all the same but it should have been done hours ago!

Guy on Highland now also saying Letterkenny is still going ahead.

Hopefully this time next year, we'll have a better plan:cool:

Looked a bit more and lots of confusion about, but it seems its still going ahead, people saying its coming from county board & Dessie Larkin (less than half an hour ago) saying its still going ahead.
    Barry Whyte ‏@BarryWhyte85
    County Board confirm no homecoming cancelled. Panel are now leaving Ardara for Ballybofey. Letterkenny and Glenswilly are both going ahead

Your right though feelpablo the democrat just tweeted this;
    donegal democrat ‏@dgldemocrat
    The Donegal panel's return to Letterkenny has been postponed and we will fill you in with details when we hear.

:rolleyes: :confused:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Donegal-Democrat/112739298752474

Yep someone posted on their facebook page that its defo still going ahead.....bit all over the shop!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Cant see them gettin thru Glenties too handy either....

Glenswilly cancelled tonight but Letterkenny going ahead (per the sports guy on Highland just now).

Sounds like Glenswilly made the decision themselves, in agreement with the County Board, based on it being too late for kids to be waiting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Glenswilly cancelled tonight but Letterkenny going ahead (per the sports guy on Highland just now).

Sounds like Glenswilly made the decision themselves, in agreement with the County Board, based on it being too late for kids to be waiting up.
    So Letterkenny kids are tough enough to stay up? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Wud have made sense for them to stop for the night in Glenties tonight...Letterkenny tomorrow night..

Official Donegal GAA ‏@officialdonegal
    Mins away from Letterkenny!

If there is anyone still there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

can still hear the crowd from the back door

If there is anyone still there :pac:
    Hello homer :)

muffler wrote: »
    Hello homer :)

Smartarse :D

I planned on going down but figured it would be pretty quiet and anyone left on the tour would be wrecked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Got down after all with the young lad, still a good crowd.

Jimmy brought Sam home to Donegal again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement