Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle in my lawn

Options
  • 23-09-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Sowed my new lawn 3 months ago and today cattle came in and left plenty of hoof marks on it,what is the best way to fix these? Thanks in advance Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

very very hot pan, very little oil, and two minutes per side. problem sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

paul127 wrote: »
    Sowed my new lawn 3 months ago and today cattle came in and left plenty of hoof marks on it,what is the best way to fix these? Thanks in advance Paul

How did the cattle get into your garden,did they break through the gate or fencing in their field??

I would approach the farmer who owns the cattle and show him or her the damage that their livestock has done to your garden.

Errect some form of secure boundary fencing or walling to prevent the cattle from getting back in too?

PS-Would a farmer have insurance to cover a matter like this...as in livestock damaging another persons property/land??

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

Not going to follow the farmer there was temporary fence up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Sand is the easiest way to fix this

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

Just fill the holes with sand and leave it????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Id be more concerned with making sure that the cattle dont come back onto your property.

If the cattle can get through the fencing once,then they will do it again.

Cows are crafty brainy animals.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaD67sj1UfQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Just fill the holes with sand and leave it????
    Yeah the grass will grow back through the sand. Its a lot easier to fill them with sand rather than soil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

If you can use a fork to dig out and level off some of the worst bits, that would help. Then use the sand option.

You could also use a roller as well and then make sure you fork it properly afterwards to prevent too much compaction.

But, as paddy147 says, make sure you have the fence fixed first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Same happened at my folks house, the grass only sown a short while an cattle got in.

The farmer who owns the animals put the lawn right, no hassle. It is the farmers responsibility to keep the animals in, not yours to keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

prospect wrote: »
    Same happened at my folks house, the grass only sown a short while an cattle got in.

The farmer who owns the animals put the lawn right, no hassle. It is the farmers responsibility to keep the animals in, not yours to keep them out.

Also happened to me and with a Rolled Turf Lawn. The farmers insurance covered the complete replacement of the lawn (after a call from the local Gardai). Since then he has kept the cattle out, but his sheep have got in 3 times. They have done some damage, but not to the lawn, and the Gardai have told him the next time they get out they will be impounded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

prospect wrote: »

Yes, this happend my folks too. The Farmer was very good and quick in getting the lawn repaired and sorted.
    No free steaks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

I'd be careful about getting on the wrong side of the farmer, you don't want him to start spreading slurry around your house every time you have a bbq up and running!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

had the same on the front lawn and farmer fixed. He used a fork to "lift" the soil back into place and it seemed to work fine. but I'm not sure that that would work on a new lawn. It is a very new lawn so wont be hugely established just yet. I presume that the soil was dug over before planting so the texture and structure wont have recovered yet. I'm surprised the farmer didnt come back and talk to you.

An alternative suggestion would be to fill the holes with soil, heal in till level and then then replant with the same grass seed.

Advertisement