Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debenhams exhange rate?

• 23-09-2012 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Not a regular shopper on Debenhams but bought a jacket on Debenhams.ie for €76 and when it arrived it had a tag on it for £49. How can anyone justify an exchange rate like this? Should i complain or is it the norm?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    Not a regular shopper on Debenhams but bought a jacket on Debenhams.ie for €76 and when it arrived it had a tag on it for £49. How can anyone justify an exchange rate like this? Should i complain or is it the norm?

go in the shop and check it out, they usually have the sterling proce on all the clother if i remember right, i have moved up in the world and wouldn't buy anything from them again:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Thats the norm for debenhams - that's why they are the most expensive place to shop in Ireland.

Even the small little corner shop is way cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

shed head wrote: »
    go in the shop and check it out
    Dunno why anybody would waste their time. If there was no tag he would not be complaining, and might have had to pay a little more to pay for employing staff to remove dual pricing tags -which usually means the product can be made for less.

Guy sees a jacket he wants, presumably determines in his mind that it is good value and so buys it.
    How can anyone justify an exchange rate like this?
    Because you paid it. If more people like you pay it then they might decide to increase it even more -they would be pretty foolish businesspeople not to.

I would not call this an "exchange rate", it is pricing in different regions. Even if it was far cheaper to do business here, lower overheads, cheaper staff etc -there might simply not be demand for the product in other regions so they have to charge less accordingly to what the market will bear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Debenhams are well known for using very bad GBP to euro exchange rates.

I have seen 35 stg tems become 54 euro.

That's 1 GBP = 1.54 euro.

The real rate is about 1 GBP = 1.25 / 1.30 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno why anybody would waste their time. If there was no tag he would not be complaining, and might have had to pay a little more to pay for employing staff to remove dual pricing tags -which usually means the product can be made for less.

Guy sees a jacket he wants, presumably determines in his mind that it is good value and so buys it.

Because you paid it. If more people like you pay it then they might decide to increase it even more -they would be pretty foolish businesspeople not to.

I would not call this an "exchange rate", it is pricing in different regions. Even if it was far cheaper to do business here, lower overheads, cheaper staff etc -there might simply not be demand for the product in other regions so they have to charge less accordingly to what the market will bear.

I bought the jacket on Debenhams.ie. I wasn't aware of the sterling price and the huge mark up until the jacket arrived with the sterling price attached to the jacket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ryaner1979 wrote: »

I bought the jacket on Debenhams.ie. I wasn't aware of the sterling price and the huge mark up until the jacket arrived with the sterling price attached to the jacket

Just because it costs more here does not mean they make more profit here.

Profit=asset-liability

It has been discussed here many times how the cost of doing business is higher here, think rents, wages, rates, insurance, transportation costs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Zigomar

It's not only Debenhams that are ripping off the Irish.
    eg: Last week Zara leather jacket in Portugal €149 at full price. Dublin same jacket €219??? They even print multiple tags..
    And to be ridiculous. Mashed carrot and parsnip in Tesco Belfast 99p in Tesco Dundrum €2.29???
    They do it because they can...

davo10 wrote: »
    Just because it costs more here does not mean they make more profit here.

Profit=asset-liability

It has been discussed here many times how the cost of doing business is higher here, think rents, wages, rates, insurance, transportation costs etc.

M&S, Tesco & House of Fraser, make more in Ireland stores than any of their British counterparts. I've known this for about four years and it's easy to see why. Costs are higher in Ireland but not significantly so when you look at the volumes these guys do and they charge up to 40% more on many products.
    Magazines are another sore point with me and an Irish company (Easons) are the culprit here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

rubadub wrote: »
    davo10 wrote: »

Also bear in mind that the stock is ordered and usually priced anywhere from 6-12 months in advance, so current exchange rate can sometimes be misleading and perhaps rates are hedged favourably on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 I M Wright

Why dont you look at the exchange rates over the last year and then make your comment. Debenhams have been ripping off the Irish public since the very day they set foot in Ireland. Time we stood up to them and sent them packing. They are many other business who would welcome the opportunity to locate in that store and the jobs would be saved. Do you not think they use their Euro's to purchase goods in Euro's from their European suppliers. You point has no basis.

• Advertisement

The rip-off labels can also be applied to Tesco, Zara, B&Q, House of Frazer, Next and even ye old faithful M&S. I commute to the UK all the time and the differences are astonishing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 I M Wright

Zigomar wrote: »
    The rip-off labels can also be applied to Tesco, Zara, B&Q, House of Frazer, Next and even ye old faithful M&S. I commute to the UK all the time and the differences are astonishing..

I totally agree with you. Thats why I refuse to purchase anything clothing in Ireland. Ah yes free trade is alive and well. If only the people on here would only take there complaint from here to these companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Magazines are another sore point with me and an Irish company (Easons) are the culprit here.

Magazines follow a fixed formula.

Magazine in Ireland have 9% VAT and the UK 0% vat.

A distribution cost of 12% (quite fair) is levied on UK magazines by easons inorder to repack and distribute in fairly small quantities and manage returns to every corner shop in Ireland.

Exchnage rate is set quarterly and fixed for the following 3 months.

So price of £1 mag in Ireland is as follows

£1 x exchange rate (1.27) x 12% distribution fee x 9% vat. Total = approx 1.55

a £2 mag will cost 3.10, a 3.50 mag will cost about 5.40 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I commute between Germany and the Netherlands, regularly travel to the UK and Ireland and live within Cycling distance of the Belgian border.

Differences all over the place, but I don't get this whole exchange rate thing.

i.e.
    River Island Amsterdam a top is priced at 40 euros
    River Island Cork same top is prices 35 euros

Similarly a pair of shoes in the Amsterdam store might be cheaper than the Cork store.

Now why is it when the Currency is in Sterling that its not ok anymore ?

I mean I can go to a H&M in Eindhoven and drive across the border to Germany (120km) and its a different price in H&M in Dusseldorf.

Advertisement