Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal Secretary

• 23-09-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A few months ago I started working in a small legal office on the Jobbridge scheme as a legal secretary. I was really happy when I was offered the internship as I've always wanted to get into the legal area and I figured I learn more on the job than by doing a course (which is expensive).

The solicitor who recruited me was looking for a legal secretary/PA so at the moment my duties are reception, audiotyping, filing, legal documents etc. So far the work is fine and I'm enjoying it except that the place is understaffed so I'm under pressure most of the time to get things done on time and the filing has been piling up (I imagine it's the same in alot of small offices). I had hoped that by the end of the internship I would have learned enough that if they didn't decide to give me a job at the end of it that I would at least have enough experience to go to another office to work as a legal secretary.

My problem is that the solicitor I'm working for is actually terrible at his job. Clients don't like him, he's incredibly overbearing and defensive, he doesn't return calls, makes up fees off the top of his head and may charge more on the sale of a house depending on how much the client is getting in their proceeds of sale. He has been practising for several years but has no clue what's going on with alot of his cases, passes off alot of work to other people and then complains that *they* don't have the same standards that he does. As a result I find it very difficult to learn from him as he doesn't seem to know what the correct procedure is for most things and I also find I have very little respect for him as a result of how he treats people and his lack of professionalism. He has a few side projects outside of the firm and I will often have to do work on these, which would be fine if there wasn't other stuff for clients waiting to be done but I find that legal stuff for the office seems to get pushed aside in favour of his own personal stuff and it bothers me alot. Maybe this is how it is generally among solicitors' or similar offices but I feel like I've gotten a bit of a raw deal. He wants to get another person in to take over some of the legal stuff from me so that I can spend more time on his personal stuff and his side projects but that's not what I signed up for. I'm going to do a distance learning course in legal studies myself since I don't think I'll get all the knowledge I need from my boss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickenchaser

That's a bit of a tough situation alright.

Have you tried politely broaching the subject to him, saying that you feel you need to strengthen your knowledge on the procedural parts of the legal work before you feel confident to help more on his personal projects. I'd raise up your concerns to him that you feel you need to take on supplementary courses.

Is there anyone else in your office who you could bounce the ideas off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I think you have answered your own question - you are keen to learn and wish to expand your experience. Learn what you can from others in the office while at the same time looking for another role. Do the distance learning and broaden your horizons.

As a learning, see if you can politely, diplomatically and tactfully query his approach. I know easier said than done and this may challenge his thinking and approach, which may help your situation.

The legal profession and it's professionals never cease to amaze me.......

Head up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The reality is that he won't change. He is interested in only what he wants and not what you want. He will keep you as long as you are useful to him and not a day longer. Find another position as soon as you can!

Advertisement