Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 month old very upset

Options
  • 23-09-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Our LO is 4 months, so far she has never made strange with people, she is quite happy to sit on other peoples laps, even if she doesnt know them, but this is always when her dad or I are there.

Then yesterday evening we had to go out for a while so her granny and aunts were minding her. She sees them regularly and is normally happy with them, but as soon as we left yesterday she started crying hysterically, and that continued fairly constantly until we got back. She wouldnt even drink her bottle the whole time we were gone, she was crying too hard, and that isnt like her at all. Once we got back she calmed down and went back to normal quickly.

Has anyone any idea what we can do to avoid this in future, as we have a wedding to go to next month and there's no way I could go if I thought she would spend the whole time crying. It wouldnt be fair on her or her granny.
    Maybe I'm overthinking things, but it was heartbreaking to see how upset she was yesterday :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Went through something similar with my son at that age, he's almost 6 months old now & just starting to grow out of it.
    From what I've read it's completely normal for babies between the ages of 4-6 months to start making strange as they start becoming more aware of their surroundings.
    I'm not sure there is much you can do about, the only thing I've found is that my son has started to grow out of it the older he's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

^^^+1 on above. R went through a couple of weeks making strange with EVERYONE except for his Dad and myself. He sees my mam almost every day some weeks, and even she was upsetting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zombot

Thanks for the replies :) Well its good to know that its not unusual, just have to wait for her to get over it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's around that age that their concept of object permanancy is developing. So they actually notice when you leave. It's very common and nothing to worry about. It's not the same as a clingy toddler, it's more a case of their brains developing normally at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

A going through the same but its mainly with people she doesnt see that often. She also has a major problem with people who wear glasses. My mum and dad have to take them off sometimes. If they have them on when we call down she can be fine for a few mins and then starts roaring. They have to take them off and i have to take her and try calm her. If they dont have them on when we arrive she's fine. Anyone else's LO like this with glasses. Im hoping she will just grow out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement