Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Terry retires from the England team

• 23-09-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭

Just announced

Quote: "I feel The FA, have made my position with the national team untenable."

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

International football/Natonal team, All over twitter, etc.
    Terry says: "I feel the FA, in pursuing charges against me ... have made my position with the national team untenable."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

As opposed to International?

So he's JUST going to play for England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Yeah right..........right before he gets a hefty ban off the FA or maybe he retires to avoid a hefty ban..........pathetic all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Andip wrote: »
    Just announced

Would JT know what untenable means???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good for Chelsea, as I said England have alot of good young CB's so they'll be ok in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

efb wrote: »
    Andip wrote: »
    Just announced

Group of numbers that don't add up to 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

MrStuffins wrote: »
    As opposed to International?

So he's JUST going to play for England?

Just amended the heading - he will no longer play for the England team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

efb wrote: »

It's when one of his team-mates in the starting XI is single.

That way, he can only shag 9 of his team mates' wives. Nineable, but untenable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The FA, in finding Luis Suarez guilty with much less evidence have backed themselves into a corner. They have to ban Terry and he's obviously got word that its going that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Jumping before he was pushed ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Now that dude whose wife he shagged can become an England regular... what was his name again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

#MancienneForEngerland

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good. Now if only Cashley would retire too, I'd be able to like the England team again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would have thought his recent form had made his position with the team untenable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It can only be good for football if Terry just retires from anything to do with football including any management thingy he thinks he can do although cbeebies may need a football presenter but they will have to do without Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The FA, in finding Luis Suarez guilty with much less evidence have backed themselves into a corner. They have to ban Terry and he's obviously got word that its going that way.

The FA are unfit for purpose, there have been calls for them to change their set up for at least 7 years but their isnt the political will to pressure them into change. Its obvious to anyone with a grain of sense that they are not impartial.

How can Terry have made this decision without the bat signals being sent?, its appalling. Old boys club saving their own arse as best they can after backing themselves into a corner with a nonsensical disciplinary set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes
    Farewell, JT, embodiment of the Three Lions badge. If you assume he's the top lion, on top of the middle lion, who's the bottom lion's wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Regardless of whether or not people like Terry, you cant argue that he's been messed about big time by the FA, I'm surprised its taken him this long to call time on his England career. All this should of being dealt with months ago, if the four member independant committee now find Terry innocent how will that make the FA look?

They have handled this extremely unprofessionaly IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

People can say what they want about JT cause he's the guy everyone loves to hate (and for the most part rightfully so). At the end of the day he was cleared in a court of law. The FA made Capello's position untenable and clearly Terry has also decided that enough is enough. The Terry haters will be happy but the England team will be a poorer team without him in it and that's the bottom line. He was selected over the years by various managers and was an integral part of the team for a reason even up until now. The FA handled the situation incredibly poorly and have paid the price.

For what it's worth I think he's a díck of a human being but has acted admirably throughout this process and this is probably the right decision.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Regardless of whether or not people like Terry, you cant argue that he's been messed about big time by the FA, I'm surprised its taken him this long to call time on his England career. All this should of being dealt with months ago, if the four member independant committee now find Terry innocent how will that make the FA look?

They have handled this extremely unprofessionaly IMO

They have found him guilty and told him via a third party (my opinion). I dont think there is any other way to explain why Terry would wait this long to make that decision. He made that decision now because it gives both him and the FA a way of making the whole thing less of a PR disaster for both parties. Terry has retired to avoid the disgrace of the incoming punishment and the FA have advised him to so that they dont have to show their hand, thats my opinion and i believe it shows up this 'kangaroo court' (David Moyes words) of an FA for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

daithijjj wrote: »

How can Terry have made this decision without the bat signals being sent?, its appalling. Old boys club saving their own arse as best they can after backing themselves into a corner with a nonsensical disciplinary set up.

^this^. /close thread.

He obviously has been given the heads up by a supposedly sound unbiased disciplinary process.

This just shows leaky kangaroo court it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

John Terry has retired from the national team to spend more time with various people's families.

jive wrote: »
    People can say what they want about JT cause he's the guy everyone loves to hate (and for the most part rightfully so). At the end of the day he was cleared in a court of law. The FA made Capello's position untenable and clearly Terry has also decided that enough is enough. The Terry haters will be happy but the England team will be a poorer team without him in it and that's the bottom line. He was selected over the years by various managers and was an integral part of the team for a reason even up until now. The FA handled the situation incredibly poorly and have paid the price.

For what it's worth I think he's a díck of a human being but has acted admirably throughout this process and this is probably the right decision.

Sure, he was cleared in a court of law, theres burden of proof in a court of law, theres no burden of proof within the FA. 'Balance of probabilities' is what they use at the FA, there is no real transparency with this system, its just opinions. Should be seen for what it is, independent panel?......how is anything independent when it is paid for by the prosecution?. It resembles a monty python sketch more than anything judicial.

They have found him guilty and told him via a third party (my opinion). I dont think there is any other way to explain why Terry would wait this long to make that decision. He made that decision now because it gives both him and the FA a way of making the whole thing less of a PR disaster for both parties. Terry has retired to avoid the disgrace of the incoming punishment and the FA have advised him to so that they dont have to show their hand, thats my opinion and i believe it shows up this 'kangaroo court' (David Moyes words) of an FA for what it is.

I wouldn't say you're too far from the truth there but is it not meant to be an independent panel which includes a QC? surely that means it would all have to be above board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I bet it is not the last we see of him in an England kit, he is sure to turn up and celebrate with the lads when they qualify for the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Leiva wrote: »
    ^this^. /close thread.

He obviously has been given the heads up by a supposedly sound unbiased disciplinary process.

Does anyone need to be told though?

The chances of being found not guilty by the FA once they charge you is almost zero. They have a 99.5% conviction rate.

Thrill wrote: »
    Does anyone need to be told though?

The chances of being found not guilty by the FA once they charge you is almost zero. They have a 99.5% guilt rate.

True but look past that. Daithijj has it spot on . This was leaked to save oul JT and them the embarrassment of a media sacking from the national team.

Absolute joke and they have to answer to nobody.

The British government know that and called for them to be broken up but no one has the apatite to run with it.

And don't get me started on club board members also sitting at the FA round table.

I wouldn't say you're too far from the truth there but is it not meant to be an independent panel which includes a QC? surely that means it would all have to be above board.

The QC (status) is an irrelevant person in this because he holds the same wait as any other individual on the panel. They are there more for the procedural role from what i have read. His or her vote on 'guilt' is the same as any other panel member. It isnt based on proof, thats the crux of the point. Its based on whether you think it was done or not, thats not impartial.

The QC (status) is an irrelevant person in this because he holds the same wait as any other individual on the panel. They are there more for the procedural role from what i have read. His or her vote on 'guilt' is the same as any other panel member. It isnt based on proof, thats the crux of the point. Its based on whether you think it was done or not, thats not impartial.

So if a situation similar to this happened to an ordinary person, could you be sacked from your job if you were found not guilty in court?

I find this a bit mad to think a made up panel of pen pushers can basically say they dont agree with a courts ruling :confused:

• Advertisement

So if a situation similar to this happened to an ordinary person, could you be sacked from your job if you were found not guilty in court?

I find this a bit mad to think a made up panel of pen pushers can basically say they dont agree with a courts ruling :confused:

Try be branded a racist without one shed of evidence bar a statement from your accuser.

Oh and a (allowed) doctored statement from the accuser.

Kinda glad this happened. Shows them up which was bound to happen sooner or later, glad its sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

2nd attempt Sarge?

Thats exactly what it is. You dont need proof to bring a case, they dont need proof to find you guilty. If you got sacked from your job you would have other avenues to explore, its a bit more difficult if you had to bring your appeal up in front of the people who found you guilty without proof in the first place. Hence, many dont bother appealing, they will just give you heavier punishment for waiting their time and money. Its literally a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We're done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement