Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Music of England

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LordSutch wrote: »
    Andrew Lloyd Webber, Benjamin Britten, Elgar, Vaughan Williams . . .

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sorry, I meant Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber :))

Think I'll give a little nod to English folk music too, in the form of Pentangle (1960s) & Laura Marling (current).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Vintage TV on Sky 369 is a good station for English music particulary 70's 80's stuff, Absolutely brilliant tunes and talent was awash in those days not like the junk of today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

The Verve deserve a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

charlemont wrote: »
    Vintage TV on Sky 369 is a good station for English music particulary 70's 80's stuff, Absolutely brilliant tunes and talent was awash in those days not like the junk of today.

Music is as good as it ever was. Although, I will agree that Vintage TV is a great channel. Pretty much the only music channel that I'd ever check out.

• Advertisement

Genesis (with Peter Gabriel).
    Pink Floyd (with Roger Waters).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

syngindub wrote: »

Ah, no. Really they don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ultravox - Legends .I saw them in concert last night in Manchester

This was the two set piece for last nights show .

Set 1 .

Brilliant , New Europeans ,Mr X , Reap The Wild Wind , Visions In Blue ,White China , Rage In Eden,Rise ,Sleepwalk, The Voice .

Set 2 .

Live,We Stand Alone ,Lament ,Death In The Afternoon , Lie ,Astradyne , Vienna ,Flow ,One Small Day ,Passing Strangers , Love Great Adventure , All Stood Still , Hymn , Dancing With Tears in My Eyes , Contact ....25 great songs .

I was in the stalls and much nearer to stage then I expected to be . The Palace Theater has a small compact atmosphere to it and the performance by the band was superb with simplicity been the focus and there were many highlights including the lighting and backdrop video effects.It was an emotional night because many feel this might be the last tour .

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

karaokeman wrote: »
    Haven't seen a thread on this board for this topic, so thought one would be in order.

It seems that all the most influential bands for the last 50 years all seem to come from England, if we look at some of the most influential acts since then.

1960s : Beatles, Rolling Stones

1970s : Led Zeppelin

1980s : Joy Division, Kate Bush, Smiths

1990s : Stone Roses, Radiohead

2000s : possibly Arcade Fire (Canadian), Radiohead, Kid A onward

With all the decades barr the 2000s I have named some of the bands who are among the most influential in history, all seem to come from England. There are a few inconsistencies like The Pixies in the 1980s, and in the 1960s the Beach Boys, for which reason I think it makes sense to call them "America's band".

Discuss.

You've just named SOME influential bands that happen to come from England. Other bands, and certainly more influential bands come from the rest of the world.

GastroBoy wrote: »
    You've just named SOME influential bands that happen to come from England. Other bands, and certainly more influential bands come from the rest of the world.

Bit harsh on English bands arent you? surely you cant argue with their massive contribution/influence on the world stage. From the Beatles to Pink Floyd, to every musical genre as mentioned in this thread. Very little mention of the music of England and their influence before this thread . . .

The Beatles alone have had a massive influence on many bands across the globe since the 60s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

syngindub wrote: »
    At least include a couple of sentences explaining why you think they deserve a mention. From my point of view the only worthwhile contribution to music they've made is A Storm In Heaven, which is actually a really good album.

One English band that certainly deserves to be mentioned is Throbbing Gristle. Not many bands can lay claim to creating an entire genre almost single-handedly and industrial music or the harsher, weirder end of electronic music would certainly not exist as we know it today. In fact the term 'industrial' would certainly not exist in our music vocabulary today as it was originally used to refer to the band's style and the artists signed to the band's own record label called, wait for it, Industrial Records.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭indioblack

LordSutch wrote: »
    Andrew Lloyd Webber, Benjamin Britten, Elgar, Vaughan Williams . . .

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Stones, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, The Clash, Bowie, Elton, Oasis, The Kinks, Sex Pistols, Talk Talk, Massive Attack, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, Brian Eno, Queen, The Fall? and that's just the tip of the iceberg, far too many to list . . . .

Mark E Smith, England's answer to Shane McGowan?

Vaughan Williams?
    Now that's what I call music.

Yep, Vaughan Williams, an English composer of some serious standing & influence (along with Elgar).

Yeah, I know its not Rock or Pop, but it is part of the music of England.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

England is responsible for most worthwhile subcultures too, and their respective subgenres like most things gothic to which a 'sinister' english accent suits best anyhow i reckon but more proficient regardless.. Stiff records was great too, and their ska scene then but the new wave in general but if you look at punk, under the surface in which they so excelled in creating genuinely cool cultures that weren't self obsessed in being proactive but they are responsible for a lot so for music; for me england is king

it was always gonna be essentially between them and the states in the 20th century anyhow but England produced more intelligent, worthwhile movements instead of mere fun for the sake-of and I think that's telling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

A lot of British artists wouldn't be around if Kraftwerk hadn't made an impact...

Depeche Mode, New Order, Gary Numan, Bowie (Berlin era) and countless others.

Advertisement