Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to give notice?

Options
  • 23-09-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I rent a room in a house where one of the people I share with is a direct relative of the owner. When I moved in I thought this meant it was like any other house share with the normal tenant/landlord rights, however it is only since I have discovered that because a direct relative of the landlord lives in the house it is actually considered rent a room. I pay my rent to the relative living in the house and any communications I have had with the landlord have been via text.
    I am due to move out in a few weeks. I have already said this to the landlord at a house meeting we had a few weeks ago. When I moved in, 2 weeks notice was verbally agreed as the notice period so I want to still give my 2 weeks notice at the appropriate time, whats the best way to do this? Is text message sufficient as all other communications have been this way so far, or should I send a letter to the landlords home address? I'm a bit wary about sending a letter regarding the notice as they have refused to put anything about me living there in writing (no receipts/living agreements etc) and I only have their address from the phone book, they never gave it to me. I'm afraid I will get their backs up by putting the notice in writing and they will get sticky with returning my deposit.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sunsh!ne wrote: »
    however it is only since I have discovered that because a direct relative of the landlord lives in the house it is actually considered rent a room.

Are you absolutely certain about this? My understanding is that such an arrangement only exists where the landlord is an owner occupier. A direct relative is not the owner occupier. I could be wrong about that though; someone will hopefully clarify.

As for the notice, if you are in any doubt then put it in writing. A text message means next to nothing really. I really dont see why they would have any issue with you giving them notice in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Sunsh!ne wrote: »
    I rent a room in a house where one of the people I share with is a direct relative of the owner. When I moved in I thought this meant it was like any other house share with the normal tenant/landlord rights, however it is only since I have discovered that because a direct relative of the landlord lives in the house it is actually considered rent a room. I pay my rent to the relative living in the house and any communications I have had with the landlord have been via text.
    I am due to move out in a few weeks. I have already said this to the landlord at a house meeting we had a few weeks ago. When I moved in, 2 weeks notice was verbally agreed as the notice period so I want to still give my 2 weeks notice at the appropriate time, whats the best way to do this? Is text message sufficient as all other communications have been this way so far, or should I send a letter to the landlords home address? I'm a bit wary about sending a letter regarding the notice as they have refused to put anything about me living there in writing (no receipts/living agreements etc) and I only have their address from the phone book, they never gave it to me. I'm afraid I will get their backs up by putting the notice in writing and they will get sticky with returning my deposit.

Any advice appreciated!

Could you not text the landlord and ask how you should send your formal notice.Seeing as you have already spoken to the landlord about it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sunsh!ne

djimi wrote: »
    Are you absolutely certain about this? My understanding is that such an arrangement only exists where the landlord is an owner occupier. A direct relative is not the owner occupier. I could be wrong about that though; someone will hopefully clarify.

Afraid so, from the citizens information site (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/sharing_accommodation_with_your_landlord.html)
    Tenants in Ireland who share accommodation with landlords are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation. Many tenants are not aware of this so this document aims to sets out the differences between this living arrangement and other types of rented accommodation.

As you are living in your landlord's home, you do not have a standard tenancy agreement. As such, you cannot avail of the type of protection that tenants are entitled to under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. Instead, you have a 'Licensee Agreement' with your landlord. This means you are in the property by the landlords consent or invitation. The situation is the same if you are living with a spouse, child or parent of a landlord and you do not have a tenancy agreement or written lease

Its not the letting them know part I'm worried about, its more to cover myself if they get sticky about returning my deposit and try and make out I didn't give sufficient notice. I'd also like some proof as to the date I left the house

Advertisement