Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a candy dress.

• 23-09-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all I really need some help..im making this dress for halloween and I haven't a clue where to begin! The skirt seems quite easy, just a few pieces of satin sewn together, but in regards to the ice cream cone and all the other little bits? What should I make them out of? And how would they attach to the bodice? And my biggest problem? Im on a verrry tight budget, so the cheapest possible solutions only! :D P.s I think im in the right forum, but if not feel free to move me :)

http://katyperrycostume.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Picture-32.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is a very skilfully made dress that took a clever dressmaker a lot of time and patience!

I reckon your best bet would be to go to somewhere like Pennys and buy a cheap dress the same basic shape, then sew pieces onto it. To get the shapes the easiest description is to cut a shape, say the cone of the icecream, stitch it round the long edges, leaving it a bit 'loose' in the middle, push in a bit of wadding (preferably synthetic wadding, but it you don't intend to ever wash it, anything soft will do) then stitch the open end, repeat for each piece you want to attach.

Finding a 'few pieces of satin' in the colours you want could be difficult, again I would be inclined to look for cheap scarves and adapt them. The other items could be any fabric - the appearance and colour is more important than the type of fabric.

You will need to adapt this pattern quite a lot, just use the picture as an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Hi xxXCuteypieXxx,

Welcome to Arts & Crafts, you are in the right place to ask for some advise, I hope you get some replies.

Chorcai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

Thanks looksee the idea of making the skirt from scarves is great never would have thought of that! i've been trawling around material shops looking for satin in the colours i need but no luck, really didn't think finding them would be so hard! Il be heading to pennys tomorrow for a look :)

Advertisement