Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do nightclubs still have to provide food?

• 23-09-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Was talking today about how nightclubs used to have to provide a meal ticket with the nightclub ticket, to allow the nightclub to stay open later, but was wondering if Michael McD changed that recently?

I want to know, so the next nightclub I goto, I can ask for the food menu for the fun :P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

What?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

No, licences were reformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Yeah I remember that, food is right. Slop is what it was usually.

God be with the days. A shift and a curry all for a fiver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

the_syco wrote: »
    Hello all,

Was talking today about how nightclubs used to have to provide a meal ticket with the nightclub ticket, to allow the nightclub to stay open later, but was wondering if Michael McD changed that recently?

I want to know, so the next nightclub I goto, I can ask for the food menu for the fun :P

Lol that brings back memories, and it was really crap usually, even drunk would avoid it.

bdoo wrote: »
    Yeah I remember that, food is right. Slop is what it was usually.

God be with the days. A shift and a curry all for a fiver!

Once the shift was before the curry it was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Hello all,

Was talking today about how nightclubs used to have to provide a meal ticket with the nightclub ticket, to allow the nightclub to stay open later

I think it only applied to a certain kind of licence. I have heard about it, but never seen it.

Bizarrely, I have had a kebab served to me by a girl in the cloak room of a Drogheda niteclub. I came out to get my coat and leave, and cloak room girl had a huge bowl of coleslaw in front of her. I asked what it was, and she said it was coleslaw for the kebabs. I said, I'll have kebab. It was really atrocious - sloppy with all kinds of peculiarly pungent and awful tastes.......I'd nearly kill for another one.

krd wrote: »
    Hello all,

Was talking today about how nightclubs used to have to provide a meal ticket with the nightclub ticket, to allow the nightclub to stay open later

I think it only applied to a certain kind of licence. I have heard about it, but never seen it.

Bizarrely, I have had a kebab served to me by a girl in the cloak room of a Drogheda niteclub. I came out to get my coat and leave, and cloak room girl had a huge bowl of coleslaw in front of her. I asked what it was, and she said it was coleslaw for the kebabs. I said, I'll have kebab. It was really atrocious - sloppy with all kinds of peculiarly pungent and awful tastes.......I'd nearly kill for another one.

The girl or the kebab?

The girl or the kebab?

She really put her hair into that kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

The Oktoberfest down in the IFSC need you to buy a meal after 9 or 10pm, they claim it is because of their license.

The Oktoberfest down in the IFSC need you to buy a meal after 9 or 10pm, they claim it is because of their license.

Come on, this is Ireland. Do you believe anything you're told by anyone any more.

Oktoberfest?..................Where the f are we?

• Advertisement

Come on, this is Ireland. Do you believe anything you're told by anyone any more.

Merkel insisted that seeing as they're paying for everything we should adopt some of their customs.

How anyone would be against Oktoberfest is beyond me.

Do you need to buy the food or is it supplied under a cover charge? There could be a bit if entrepreneurial spirit about....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

If we must adopt German customs, I vote for the dirndls on waitresses :)

From their site

Wristbands- yes, if you still want to participate the event past 10pm you need a wristband combined with a voucher for a substantial meal that you can receive at the reservation office or the bars in the tent. This year we will charge 6 € per wristband, 5€ for the food and 1 € for a charity project.

As they say voucher for a substantial meal sounds like they may be operating under some type of restaurant licence.

Merkel insisted that seeing as they're paying for everything we should adopt some of their customs.

Aw, yes. Merkel the austere East German, with the communist haircut - a woman who recycled and knitted her own sanitary towels from discarded hessian sacks. All this is just her getting her back at us for the fall of the wall. She wants to turn the whole of Europe into soviet era GDR. And she's doing a good job at it.

We don't need another excuse to drink beer. And I certainly don't need some fat Siobhan from Galway, in polyvinyl fake lederhosen serving me a cold sausage in stale bread, that some rat probably pissed in, as an excuse to have a pint.

Diageo have "Arthur's day" in a few days. When will Dutch Gold get around to the die Knackantrinkenfest.

Aw, yes. Merkel the austere East German, with the communist haircut - a woman who recycled and knitted her own sanitary towels from discarded hessian sacks. All this is just her getting her back at us for the fall of the wall. She wants to turn the whole of Europe into soviet era GDR. And she's doing a good job at it.

We don't need another excuse to drink beer. And I certainly don't need some fat Siobhan from Galway, in polyvinyl fake lederhosen serving me a cold sausage in stale bread, that some rat probably pissed in, as an excuse to have a pint.

Diageo have "Arthur's day" in a few days. When will Dutch Gold get around to the die Knackantrinkenfest.

Serving cold sausage, I heard she prefer to be on the receiving end.

It does sound like a restaurant licence alright, you pay for the meal so you have bought it. Presumably they won't force the sausage down your neck.

The mood im in I may go to after hours before I get in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Oktoberfest has ran for the last 5 years in the IFSC it is usually good craic, something different to do in the city.

Yeah you get your food when you buy your wristband, they serve till 12.30 I think, well they did last year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 quagmired

Oktoberfest is fantastic in fairness. It brightens up that part of the city, great atmosphere, something different and more interesting than the usual pubs. The food and beer is fantastic, amazing that so few irish have tasted real beer, raised on a diet of diageo swill

quagmired wrote: »
    Oktoberfest is fantastic in fairness. It brightens up that part of the city, great atmosphere, something different and more interesting than the usual pubs. The food and beer is fantastic, amazing that so few irish have tasted real beer, raised on a diet of diageo swill

I'll tell you what I don't like about these things. I think Oktoberfest is something imported from America, and not Germany.

In the US, you have these "medieval" fayres, Irish festivals, and Oktoberfest.

I went to a medieval fayre in the US. All the stall holders selling trinkets and whatever, were all dressed up in "medieval" clothes. They spoke in some funny "Robin Hood" like English. A few weeks later, I go to the Irish festival. It's the same stall holders - dressed in the same clothes, and they're talking like Darby O'Gill. A few weeks later, Oktoberfest roles around. And yes, the same stall holders were there, except now in Lederhosen - and suarkraut for your hotdogs. In fact it's the same stall holders everywhere. And that's where we're headed in Ireland.

Have a beer festival by all means, call it the Dublin beer festival and don't have it turn into the American "medieval" festival circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

I'll tell you what I don't like about these things. I think Oktoberfest is something imported from America, and not Germany.

In the US, you have these "medieval" fayres, Irish festivals, and Oktoberfest.

I went to a medieval fayre in the US. All the stall holders selling trinkets and whatever, were all dressed up in "medieval" clothes. They spoke in some funny "Robin Hood" like English. A few weeks later, I go to the Irish festival. It's the same stall holders - dressed in the same clothes, and they're talking like Darby O'Gill. A few weeks later, Oktoberfest roles around. And yes, the same stall holders were there, except now in Lederhosen - and suarkraut for your hotdogs. In fact it's the same stall holders everywhere. And that's where we're headed in Ireland.

You must secretly like them on some level though if you keep going.

BornToKill wrote: »
    You must secretly like them on some level though if you keep going.

Or, I've been dragged along against my will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 quagmired

true they mightn't be 'authentic' as such but they're still a lot of fun. To be fair at octoberfest there's a load of vans over from Germany, many German staff there and paulaner and erdinger are the real deal. The fair is a bit manufacturered but I still love it!!

Advertisement