Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Porridge Debate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

tan11ie wrote: »
    Just do it in the microwave ;)

Such blasphemy:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

DonLimon wrote: »
    Such blasphemy:eek:

Save them pots boy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

mackg wrote: »
    Sharrow wrote: »
    1 measure of oats, 1 measure of milk, 2 measures of water, 1 heap tbl spoon of ground almounds in the slow cooker over night. Best porridge ever, top it with some honey in the morning.

La de da!

Far from ground almonds he was reared....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It has to be milk, never water! It's so bland with water. A handful of sultanas (not raisins and absolutely never currants) and a teaspoon of maple syrup and that's you set up until lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Water of course!

And with the calories you save you can have a bar of chocolate later : )

I have a bag of Odlums Porrige oats that when you add a cupful of cold water makes porridge in about 4 minutes tops! What is everyone else using that you have to brew overnight :0. Even Odlums pinhead porridge stuff cooks from scratch ( with cold water) in about 5 minutes.

I find this" keeps you going al
    Morning" thing a but if a myth. In bread I'm good til lunch - on porridge I'm casting about for a snack by 10:30...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

bdoo wrote: »

Whatever happened to the old tradition of lacing every spoonful with sugar haha ....Almonds tut :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Piste wrote: »
    It has to be milk, never water! It's so bland with water. A handful of sultanas (not raisins and absolutely never currants) and a teaspoon of maple syrup and that's you set up until lunch.

Difference between a raisin and a currant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Currants are dried blackcurrants, they are smaller, drier and less sweet than raisins, which are dried grapes.

EDIT: Currants may also refer to a dried "black corinth" grape, as distinct from red grapes which are used to make raisins and white grapes which are used to make sultanas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I like to pour the porridge into a bowl then fuck the bowl

Jesus. Obviously a big porridge fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Currants are dried blackcurrants, they are smaller, drier and less sweet than raisins, which are dried grapes.

Currants are dried grapes too. The difference between them and raisins is that currants are made from seedless grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Save them pots boy :D

When I want to save on the pots or am in a hurry, I just fill a mug 50/50 with oats and boiling water with a spoonful of honey. Tastes like sh1te but staves off the hunger for a few hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would rather die from starvation than eat porridge. I know that doesn't answer the question but at least you know now that there are people who have a deep seated hatred for porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Witchie wrote: »
    Water and a bit of salt. Traditional way is the best.

And then off over the icy rock to school on the other side of the island in bare feet. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

yeah, well my porridge'll come round to your house, n eat yore porridge how you you like those sultanas then

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ohlalala

These are really good.

The OH mixes them 50/50 with plain porridge.

Highly recommended.

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=fruit-porridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

I make mine with water then add a drop of milk and some salt at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

bdoo wrote: »

It's a way of adding protein to it.
    And the slow cooker means I don't have to fecking stir it and we wake up to it being ready to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My uncle was killed by museli....:(

He got dragged in by the currant!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 blatherskite

When I eat porridge, it feels as though nutrients are being leached from my body. It leaves me with a craving to drink orange juice or eat some fruit or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

I make it with water then when it's cooked I add cream, maple syrup and a banana, delicious. But a couple of hours later I am starving again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I like my porridge in a bag, on a shelf whilst I'm eating a bacon and fried egg sambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Less calories.

You also have the option of eating less, as opposed to it tasting like a bowl of watery sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Oats + Milk + Sugar, all in the microwave.

Delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Suceed

I cook my porridge in a water/milk combo.

Lately I've been jazzing it up with a wee taste of honey and dollop of peanut butter.

Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Milk with a bit of honey, some raisins and a sliced up banana. That'll set you up until lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Milk of course. My wife insists on water though, so not resolving your argument. The almond slow cooker version sounds wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Christ, where do yous cünts get time to make all this fancy porridge shyte in the mornings??! I wake up and fall out the door to work, breakfast is a luxury. Its thanks to you Oliver Twist impersonators that this country is in the state its in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I tend to have a bit of this with my porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Used to love porridge with milk and loads of sugar. These days I can't handle that; I make it with water and raisins. Less fat and the raisins give it plenty of sweetness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Depends on my mood. Milk can sometimes be a bit too heavy first thing in the morning so water tones it down.

Apart from that it's sultanas and a bit of sugar. Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Love a bit of deep fried porridge and some battered brown bread of a morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My aulfella lets it soak in water the night before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Porridge is the breakfast that is a throwback to an earlier and more Christian time. It has a faint hint of misery and penance about it. It reminds the eater that through consuming this gloop there will be a greater prize in heaven. It's Scottish, and sombre and vaguely Presbyterian.

The Fry is a celebration of drinking to excess, hangovers, a special treat, hungover sex, and consuming the wonderful gifts of your labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Have always made it with water. Bit of honey or fruit mixed in.

Don't know why you'd make it with milk. You fat pigs.

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Christ, where do yous cünts get time to make all this fancy porridge shyte in the mornings??! I wake up and fall out the door to work, breakfast is a luxury. Its thanks to you Oliver Twist impersonators that this country is in the state its in!

2 and a half minutes in the microwave - sorted. I have it at work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

60 % milk, 40% water

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I love the fact that out of 88 posts about porridge, there are about 88 different ways to make it, lol. Obviously it's all a matter of personal taste :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Make the porridge with water then add in half a pot of yogurt. Add in strawberries and blueberries. Tinned peaches are yum in porridge, the juice really sweetens the porridge.
    Adding in the yogurt sounds fantastic.

In summer I make a kind of summer porridge with just oatflakes, yogurt and fruit. Well yummy.

I never 'cook' porridge as such; 1 scoop of oats, 2 scoops of boiling water, 2 minutes steeping and it's ready to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Soaked over night in 50 50 water and milk then add cinnamon to cook. Soaking it over night gives it a better texture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Ok guys, contentious issue here.
    Having a debate in the apartment here that needs to be solved.
    How do YOU make porridge and which is nicer; water based porridge or milk based? Personally I'm all for the purity of water, or whatever.

My flatmates say milk. fools. :D

Can't you make it with one and have it with another? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Porridge is for hipsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

soak the raisins overnight in whisky..a great start to the morning...just don't drive to work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

50% milk, 50% water and always cooked in the microwave

Spoonful of raspberry jam to serve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Milk or mostly milk (depending on how much milk is in the house) A good shake of cinnamon and a banana chopped into it at the end of cooking. In winter a wee nip o whiskey over the top when in the bowl is yer only man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Has to be microwaved, can't be doing with scrubbing saucepan. 3 parts water to one part milk. Hate the taste of milk, it'd make me gag first thing in the morning:(. A sprinkle of brown sugar, and some wheatgerm on top, and chopped banana, or berries. It's a myth it fills you till lunch though:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Skimmed milk with wheat bran bananas and pine nuts and drizzle of honey.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I like my porridge made with milk and a dollop of jam. I actually haven't had any porridge since the leaving cert, I may try it again. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

whirlpool wrote: »
    Porridge with water sounds like prison food.
    Its grand, just add a touch of milk for taste. I dont get this "cooking" porridge though. I just add boiling water stir it up touch of milk and sugar and away i go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

breffni666 wrote: »
    Its grand, just add a touch of milk for taste. I dont get this "cooking" porridge though. I just add boiling water stir it up touch of milk and sugar and away i go.

I seen someone else say this also and I just can't understand at all. The whole point of porridge is to warm you up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

I bought porridge in the shop across the road because it's cheap and I have no money, even though i don't like it. Turns out I still don't like it. So now, rather than throwing out good food, i'm mixing porridge (straight from the box), weetabix and cornflakes all in one bowl :cool: It's pretty good!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement