Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduates - time to act

Options
  • 23-09-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Let me know what you think!

OK - the questions:
    how many unemployed graduates are there in Ireland?
    how many graduates will be coming out of college in the next 5 years and will join the above?
    how many graduates are taking up unpaid jobs from companies exploiting free labour and what are the realistic chances of getting a job from this?
    how many graduates taking up minimum paid jobs just to get by?
    how many graduates leave the country to get work?
    next question:
    WHY DO GRADUATES LET THIS HAPPEN?

I know that a lot of you will have your own strong opinions of the above but I think that graduates should pull their weight, along with the student unions and show what power they actually have.

In Ireland, we have a simple system - a old boys club that take care of themselves - this includes all the large companies, politicians, multinationals and smaller companies that use their contacts to increase their own wealth. They will use graduates at low rates or unpaid job experience, just to let them go and bring in the next batch. Hate to say it but graduates give them that power.

Now it is estimated that there are between 60-70K graduates unemployed in Ireland, but in reality it is probably nearer 100k. Now work the numbers:
    every graduate has parents, brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles, partner, friends, etc - so think of the numbers that increase the power.

Graduates are clever, bright, want to succeed - you have to be as you graduated!!
    You have together a combined set of skills that when combined are far more powerful than any business in existence.

I have a vision, you may call it mad, silly, crazy - but it will make the old boys club tremble in fear and create a new system for growth.

You are free to rip this post apart, I don't mind it's your right but this will confirm that the old boys club will always win!
    But if you can see beyond trying to get a job with the old boys and instead use all your academic skills and knowledge to create your own job, together we can unite and shift the power!!!

private message me if you want to find out more - this will test the water!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

What are you calling for? Some sort of revolution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Let me know what you think!

OK - the questions:
    how many unemployed graduates are there in Ireland?
    how many graduates will be coming out of college in the next 5 years and will join the above?
    how many graduates are taking up unpaid jobs from companies exploiting free labour and what are the realistic chances of getting a job from this?
    how many graduates taking up minimum paid jobs just to get by?
    how many graduates leave the country to get work?
    next question:
    WHY DO GRADUATES LET THIS HAPPEN?

I know that a lot of you will have your own strong opinions of the above but I think that graduates should pull their weight, along with the student unions and show what power they actually have.

In Ireland, we have a simple system - a old boys club that take care of themselves - this includes all the large companies, politicians, multinationals and smaller companies that use their contacts to increase their own wealth. They will use graduates at low rates or unpaid job experience, just to let them go and bring in the next batch. Hate to say it but graduates give them that power.

Now it is estimated that there are between 60-70K graduates unemployed in Ireland, but in reality it is probably nearer 100k. Now work the numbers:
    every graduate has parents, brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles, partner, friends, etc - so think of the numbers that increase the power.

Graduates are clever, bright, want to succeed - you have to be as you graduated!!
    You have together a combined set of skills that when combined are far more powerful than any business in existence.

I have a vision, you may call it mad, silly, crazy - but it will make the old boys club tremble in fear and create a new system for growth.

You are free to rip this post apart, I don't mind it's your right but this will confirm that the old boys club will always win!
    But if you can see beyond trying to get a job with the old boys and instead use all your academic skills and knowledge to create your own job, together we can unite and shift the power!!!

private message me if you want to find out more - this will test the water!!

That's exactly what we need. Good luck with that batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 graduatetimes

It seems that we as a nation allow ourselves to be controlled, and have no desire to make changes.

In 12 days nearly 300 views and only 2 posts!

Are we that low in self esteem that we don't want to make a better future for ourselves!

No one is calling for a reveloution but instead use the brains and common sense that we have and start to make our own future - because we are the future.........

Dig deep and really think how you can make a difference - do you want to be one of the next batch leaving your country because you can't get a job in a country were politicians have no clue in how to create employment.

prove me wrong - 2 posts out of 283 views - wow 0.7% have a view...............unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

It seems that we as a nation allow ourselves to be controlled, and have no desire to make changes.

In 12 days nearly 300 views and only 2 posts!

Are we that low in self esteem that we don't want to make a better future for ourselves!

No one is calling for a reveloution but instead use the brains and common sense that we have and start to make our own future - because we are the future.........

Dig deep and really think how you can make a difference - do you want to be one of the next batch leaving your country because you can't get a job in a country were politicians have no clue in how to create employment.

prove me wrong - 2 posts out of 283 views - wow 0.7% have a view...............unbelievable

Here's one more post saying your ideas are nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 graduatetimes

Ah Red Wake - this comes from a person of one line posts/comments who doesn't even have an idea to offer up......reply with substance and imagination Red Wake.

ps - it says feel free to rip my post apart but a silly one liner is just so typical and a sheer lack of imagination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Do you not take the lack of response to equate to the lack of effort and ingenuity of a sizable proportion of grads...grads with pass degrees at that in a lot of cases...pass degrees that have been subject to grade inflation.....after August repeats...again.

The dominant interest and efforts amongst grads are drinking to excess and facebook and drinking to excess- then some more drinking to excess.

Advertisement