Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you know how attractive to the opposite sex you are?

• 23-09-2012 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Do you go out to pubs/clubs and see how many people try to hit on you etc?

Or so you judge it yourself by comparing the way you look against others?

If nobody has ever asked for your number,tried to talk to chat you up or gave you a second glance does that mean you are ugly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

<
    Society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I dont really care, 90% of your attractiveness comes from self belief not.. You can be an attractive person but be so negative in attitude that people start to find you unattractive :)...

I think attraction is 10% looks 90% smiles confidence and attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I stare at every woman I pass and see if they make eye contact with me. If they do they fancy me.

I also post pictures all over the place online and obsessively check how many thanks/likes etc they get.

In your case Tom, I'd probably just check the various "Sexiest Men of the Year" lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Difficult to know to be honest. Beyond keeping your body in good condition and dressing reasonably well, looks are extremely arbitrary. An awful lot comes down to individual taste and preference. It is the reason why your average happily married parent believes their spouse is special and their children are intelligent despite this generally not being true.

So yes. Sexiness is a LIE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

They often tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

After seeing this man hook up with Charlize Theron I have new found hope for my average myself

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2207320/Charlize-Theron-happy-new-man-Eric-Stonestreet-adopted-son-Modern-Family.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Snowie wrote: »
    are you a Fudge Packer

No not at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm just a fcuking beaut, it's that simple to know.

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    No not at all!

I was just checking i saw you on south park packing fudge I was just curious if i was true or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

If I see them getting them a big sweatie hard on I know they're very attracted to me.

Oh the opposite sex? Er, yes, thats a bit more tricky to recognise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Never approached by the ladies.. they just know they have no chance with me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I find that the quality of my girlfriends increases over time.

I must be getting better looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I never question whether people find ME attractive or not, the more pertinent question in my mind is-

"Do I find THEM attractive?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I find that the quality of my girlfriends increases over time.

I must be getting better looking!

either that or your eye test is overdue

I'm sorry but that's just not true.

I'm sorry but that's just not true.

Really?

Care to back up your theory with some sort of evidence? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Well if you're a virgin at 26 and never had a girlfriend like me, you kind of already do know....

But I think the key is learning to live with such matters tbh, I mean some people like me are just born unlikable within society (for whatever reason), so I suppose learning to live with it is the best you can possibly do. :)

Really?

Care to back up your theory with some sort of evidence? :)

http://www.livescience.com/7023-rules-attraction-game-love.html

I'd rate it a more 80/20 split in favour of looks for the average person, if there is no sexual attraction then the emotional attraction is unlikely to come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

mikemac1 wrote: »
    After seeing this man hook up with Charlize Theron I have new found hope for my average myself

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2207320/Charlize-Theron-happy-new-man-Eric-Stonestreet-adopted-son-Modern-Family.html

Considering her ex is extremely sexy..she has seriously downgraded!

So maybe it's 20% looks 80% personality for Women and 80% looks 20% personality for Men :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'd rate it a more 80/20 split in favour of looks for the average person, if there is no sexual attraction then the emotional attraction is unlikely to come along.

Ok, what i just read there has absolutely no viable grounding proof or findings its wishy-washy journalism at best... each hyper link links another page on the site its a summery with no real or credible findings theres even no source to where he gained all this valuable insight, into what is attraction...

Its reads like he's just trying to feed people with something interesting to read, thats all it is, Interesting to read if I was being nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

My aunts and mother say that I'm a lovely fellow.

That counts, doesn't it?

(And if ye disagree, then yer still wrong!:P)

Ok, what i just read there has absolutely no viable grounding proof or findings its wishy-washy journalism at best... each hyper link links another page on the site its a summery with no real or credible findings theres even no source to where he gained all this valuable insight, into what is attraction...

Its reads like he's just trying to feed people with something interesting to read, thats all it is, Interesting to read if I was being nice...
    Ok how about a BBC link saying basically the same thing based off of experiments published in peer reviewed journals? You can't just dismiss evidence out of hand because it doesn't agree with your own hypothesis. At least refute with some evidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/love/attraction.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Lad I know looks like Justin Bieber, never pulls. I never pull! Just proves even some great looking blokes don't pull easy ;) But being serious with the other JB looking guy, he's not some rugby player or whatever(which u seem to have to be and he's a bit of a hipster) and in clubs I'd say girls wouldn't think they have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Lad I know looks like Justin Bieber, never pulls. I never pull! Just proves even some great looking blokes don't pull easy ;) But being serious with the other JB looking guy, he's not some rugby player or whatever(which u seem to have to be and he's a bit of a hipster) and in clubs I'd say girls wouldn't think they have a chance.

Usually you'll have to buy these guys a few drinks first before they give you a pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

I judge it by the amount of sh*t I have to put on the end of a stick to beat them off with.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Thinly veiled I'm a savage looking lad post huh? But seriously either ye're too full of yerselves or else ye're doing something horribly wrong...

OP: Well there's lots of ways. From looking in the mirror or at pictures of yourself to having the opposite sex stare and smile at you or whatever...you could compare yourself to other lads if you want (it's not gay, every straight guy should be able to say another guy is good looking or not without being labelled a f*g by everyone around)... Honestly looks aren't everything when trying to pull. Sure they help but theres alot more too it. I'm not ugly but I'm not a magnet either by any means but I focus on my personality and attitude and I think that it's more important than how I look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Justin Bieber is a short ass runt kid that hasn't yet learned to shave his face.

The mystery of why your friend can't pull has been solved.

• Advertisement

He's clearly a good looking dude though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

He's clearly a good looking dude though.
    He's good looking but he's also a little metrosexual boy.

Seriously, how ghey :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If he looks like Justin Beiber he might look under-aged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I get called UGLY almost on a daily basis just from passing by strangers. I lie to myself by thinking maybe they called me lovely or anything else that rhymes with ugly LOL. The general stares and literally laughing in my face usually gives that theory a kick in the teeth though. Yet I haven't done too bad with women over all... maybe looks really are subjective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

nocoverart wrote: »
    I get called UGLY almost on a daily basis just from passing by strangers. I lie to myself by thinking maybe they called me lovely or anything else that rhymes with ugly LOL. The general stares and literally laughing in my face usually gives that theory a kick in the teeth though. Yet I haven't done too bad with women over all... maybe looks really are subjective

Are you joking?

oK so what creates sexual attraction? Is it looks and just looks? or does real attraction, base on attitude confidence self belief looks and the ability to engage with a person confidently?

My lifes small experience has taught me an average looking girl can become more attractive with a little charm and a little bit of cheekiness, flirting and playfulness is nine times more attractive then any dolly bird you put in front of me.....

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

How, you mean when ... when they're swarming all over me.

When I resemble a cluster of women; a clump of muff. A writhing mass of ecstasy

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

When women uncontrollably find them selves upside down, legs akimbo. Gravitating toward my face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

When I pass women, it looks like their water has broken.. but they're not pregnant. When they're wearing leggings, a wet patch forms and a froth starts appearing from the exit points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

1ZRed wrote: »
    Justin Bieber is a short ass runt kid that hasn't yet learned to shave his face.

The mystery of why your friend can't pull has been solved.

Yeah and he looks about 12.

If I was that guy I wouldn't be broadcasting the fact that he looks like Bieber.

oK so what creates sexual attraction? Is it looks and just looks? or does real attraction, base on attitude confidence self belief looks and the ability to engage with a person confidently?

My lifes small experience has taught me an average looking girl can become more attractive with a little charm and a little bit of cheekiness, flirting and playfulness is nine times more attractive then any dolly bird you put in front of me.....

What creates sexual attraction is a persons looks, smell and general demeanor. The instigator of love is what comes with personality.

Of course someone becomes more attractive if they are sound, but a girl who you are not sexually attracted to will not suddenly become attractive by being sound, she'll become a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

He obviously gives them a personality test before finding them attractive.

People who say attraction is all about personality are full of ****.

I have never ever seen a good looking girl and thought to myself "wow, she's such a charming, funny, intelligent person."

That stuff comes afterwards, that stuff reinforces the initial, physical sexual attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

personally i always thought attractiveness is like job hunting.

You always seem to get job offers when your happy and have one.

You always seem to attract women when your happy and have one.

Perhaps in that lies the answer. The trick is not to be looking. Just talk to people like you want to be friendly. Rather than being cocky and thinking your gods gift or like wise on the opposite end being shy and talking to no one.

But then again. If you keep on buying drink for all these friends. You will be broke very quickly and if you dont.... Welll

Yeah and he looks about 12.

If I was that guy I wouldn't be broadcasting the fact that he looks like Bieber.

ohrly?

http://www.selenamariegomez.net/Album/Media/Selena_Gomez11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The litmus test for me is to act like a complete asshole.

If girls say that you just lack confidence or aren't understood then you're good looking, if they say you're an asshole you're not.

(Mostly robbed from Catcher in the Rye)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

When we see a person we find physically attractive we give them a quick glance up and down. Watch a woman's/man's eyes when you first meet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I always attract girls who then want to be my friend. Damn my niceness and complete and utter lack of confidence:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Bipolar Joe? Fooking, how about Bipolar Snowie?!!

All insightful and John Motson here:
    I dont really care, 90% of your attractiveness comes from self belief not.. You can be an attractive person but be so negative in attitude that people start to find you unattractive :)...

All Jimmy Carr here

Eh, what's the story, Snowie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Usually if they put your willy in their mouth it's a good sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm not a mind reader, have you a point you want to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I think he finds the chipmunk child attractive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement