Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Any idea what the bike surface/gradient is like? Is the course as fast as they make it out to be? I certainly hope so!

Signed up for the double oly.. Last prep race before IM Zurich late July (my first) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

altercor wrote: »
    Any idea what the bike surface/gradient is like? Is the course as fast as they make it out to be? I certainly hope so!

Signed up for the double oly.. Last prep race before IM Zurich late July (my first) :eek:

When the original organiser came up with the idea for "Ireland's fastest Olympic distance" this was a euphemism for "shortest".

Its not that fast but the bike course is nice and mostly flat. Surface is typically Irish. Its fine./

Shortest? So... How shortest? :)

Great stuff. Really looking forward to it. Dreading the swim a bit but sure what doesn't kill you will only horribly or debilitatingly injure you.. ahem..

altercor wrote: »
    Shortest? So... How shortest? :)

Great stuff. Really looking forward to it. Dreading the swim a bit but sure what doesn't kill you will only horribly or debilitatingly injure you.. ahem..

Its not now as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Runner2012

Anyone have any luck in getting a response from the organisers? Several unanswered emails at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Runner2012 wrote: »
    Anyone have any luck in getting a response from the organisers? Several unanswered emails at this stage.

What are you trying to contact them about?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

They answered my Facebook message tonight.

I'm intrigued. What are we contacting them about?

Surely not another potential swim cancellation possibility?!!! :D:D

Really looking forward to this one now. Long long swim for me (Double Oly) but if I don't drown, a great confidence boost!

Too much to ask for some nice weather??!

AFAIK some of the organisers are out of the country at the minute.

Elvis any ideas of the entries left? Thinking of Olympic/Double(very expensive :eek:)

What's the bike like on the Double folks? Is it two laps of the Olympic? Is it boring? :)

3K OW may very well kill me but sure I might give it a whack...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Elvis any ideas of the entries left? Thinking of Olympic/Double(very expensive :eek:)

What's the bike like on the Double folks? Is it two laps of the Olympic? Is it boring? :)

Youre well able for that swim. Bike is 2 laps, its ok. Couple of 180 degree turns. Boring? Just the usual country roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Olympic is all but sold out i believe, double i don't know and about 80 places left between sprint & tri !

I need to contact them re changing my entry from oly to sprint. Do we reckon this will be problematic?

I need to contact them re changing my entry from oly to sprint. Do we reckon this will be problematic?

No, there's just a major backlog as there is every year with people contacting them.

Thanks for the heads up! Didn't get a sprint in this year yet with swim in valentia being cancelled, and don't fancy diving straight into oly distance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

No, there's just a major backlog as there is every year with people contacting them.

Tbh they have been super slow replying to people. Every event has there multiple emails about this and that but its clear athy has taken the biscuit witb getting back to people.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Tbh they have been super slow replying to people. Every event has there multiple emails about this and that but its clear athy has taken the biscuit witb getting back to people.

Thats nice. But it has nothing to do with me. I'm just passing on info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Thats nice. But it has nothing to do with me. I'm just passing on info.

Hi Elvis, any chance you could pass on the following?

On the outline schedule, it doesn't say transition opening/closing times. Only resgistration times. Could you ask for it to be added to the outline as it would be helpful for those registering the day before.

http://my.triathy.ie/index.php/triathy-news-2013/199-outline-triathy-2013-schedule

On the outline schedule, it doesn't say transition opening/closing times. Only resgistration times. Could you ask for it to be added to the outline as it would be helpful for those registering the day before.

http://my.triathy.ie/index.php/triathy-news-2013/199-outline-triathy-2013-schedule

I'm sure that'll be in the race briefing.

As said below it will be in the race briefing, i believe it will open 1st for Double Oly and then for Oly.

Afternoon will be for Sprint & Try.

As the set up had changed this year i can't give out last yrs info. I do know i'll be prob on site from 05:30 to 21:00:o

• Advertisement

Any mention of aid stations? Gels available etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I'm sure that'll be in the race briefing.
    As said below it will be in the race briefing, i believe it will open 1st for Double Oly and then for Oly.

Afternoon will be for Sprint & Try.

As the set up had changed this year i can't give out last yrs info. I do know i'll be prob on site from 05:30 to 21:00:o

When will the race briefing be made available?

When will the race briefing be made available?

Most races will send it out about 5 days before the race.

Yeah the week of the race.

As with any race final details are being confirmed with Garda, council, etc so you can't send out the briefing until everything is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

OK

I've entered the Oly distance. Regarding the swim I've not yet got too much training this year in OW. Have been swimming good in the pool though. Will get a few dips outside before the day. The water temp doesn't bother me as I'll be in my wetsuit and the adrenaline of the day normally negates the cold anyway.

At what stage do the organisers work out the waves - I wasn't asked for a swim time when registering!.

To the experienced, would you recommend giving a slower time than your normal "pool time" for the distance to avoid the washing machine of the early waves (or are all waves the same)?

So, are we all set for this weekend?

A few questions:

Is the flow of the river strong?? Some of the swim times last year look very very fast (well, compared to my ability anyways :D)!!
    Are there any aid station on the bike/run course?
    What will they be handing out? Gels? Just water?

Cheers,

AC

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

Waves are determined by age grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

Is the flow of the river strong?? Some of the swim times last year look very very fast (well, compared to my ability anyways :D)!!

Depends on rainfall this week. However, in theory, as part is upstream and part downstream, the organisers have some scope to make it close to a neutral course (I.e. unaffected by flow).

Are there any aid station on the bike/run course?

Don't think so, not certain about Double Olympic.

What will they be handing out? Gels? Just water?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm doing Olympic. Is it a far walk from Transition to start? Easy to do barefoot?

What time is transition likely to close?

Is the run on a road or cross country? ie what's the surface like?

Is there enough parking in Athy? Free?

Worst race I've ever done for communication.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm doing Olympic. Is it a far walk from Transition to start? Easy to do barefoot?

What time is transition likely to close?

Is the run on a road or cross country? ie what's the surface like?

Is there enough parking in Athy? Free?

Worst race I've ever done for communication.

It is possible to walk barefoot but preferable not to.
    Not sure on transition.
    Run is a mix of tarmac, paved and unpaved tracks and a grass covered tow path.
    Car parking is free but quite a distance from transition.

Advertisement