Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove

Options
  • 23-09-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I was thinking with the cold weather just around the corner of getting a solid fuel stove with a back boiler,i have 8 rads to heat,have an open fire which is always on,i do have oil but would rather heat the house with the rads,does anyone know of who fits/installs them and roughly how much it would cost ?
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

Gordon's in Kilkerrin will be hard beaten on price, bought an insert stove from them this year. They will then recommend one of their independent installer, or if you know your own plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Agnes1975

I am in a same shoes, just i dont have the stove yet. :)
    Can i ask how much was the stove? and where did you buy that?
    I have 8 radiators also. thankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

We upgraded an old Rayburn Oil range to a Stanley Erin solid fuel in March and can heat 8rads no problem. Bought from Gordon's. Think it was about 1600euros.

We also bought a small insert stove for the sitting room where we had and open fire. We picked this up in Gordons on special for 280. Great piece of kit for a the slightly chilly nights when the big stove isn't lit.

Got a load of turf delivered on Saturday, much more pleasant/cheaper to see a tractor and trailor rather than an oil truck turn up. Plus plenty of exercise putting the turf away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

We upgraded an old Rayburn Oil range to a Stanley Erin solid fuel in March and can heat 8rads no problem. Bought from Gordon's. Think it was about 1600euros.

We also bought a small insert stove for the sitting room where we had and open fire. We picked this up in Gordons on special for 280. Great piece of kit for a the slightly chilly nights when the big stove isn't lit.

Got a load of turf delivered on Saturday, much more pleasant/cheaper to see a tractor and trailor rather than an oil truck turn up. Plus plenty of exercise putting the turf away.

We have an open fire in the front room and were thinking of putting a stove in instead, does it make much of a difference? Our front room is a bit draughty and I'm wondering if the chimney is part of the prob and if a stove would improve it? We have a stove in the kitchen/diner and the heat is unreal, don't find the open fire that great, especially with turf, it's better with briquettes but they're too expensive!

The difference is unbelievable. Plenty more heat and uses a lot less turf than an open fire. We have the flue out the back of the stove and then up 90degress into the chimney so the front of the stove is about 9inchs out from the front of the fireplace which means more heat into the room.

Best investament we made in years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

got it done in the spring total cost
    Stove ,heats 12 rads 1000 euro
    Materials 800 euro
    Plumber 600 euro
    if you hot press is fairly near you stove it will be a lot cheaper and easier to do watch out for the plumber trying to make a big job out of it only 2 days work for a good plumber got a quote off 1 lad looking for 950, another tip is get the stove big enough, some lads selling stoves haven't a clue, if it says it will heat 8 rads that is 8 single rads or 4 doubles so be careful there

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goatboy1

I am currently looking at installing a non boiler solid fuel stove in my house, I have looked at various models and through my browsing i have seen stoves being advertised on donedeal. The stoves they are advertising seem alot cheaper than other suppliers. I am just wondering if anybody has purchased one of these stoves that are being supplied by stoves direct. The one I am looking to purchase is a 4 - 5 kw one and they have it priced at €185.00, where other suppliers are in around €300.00. Any advice on what to buy would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hession

Right got a stove now need a plumber to give me a quote on getting it put in,anyone know of any good plumbers thats not going to charge an arm and a leg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

maybe you should have posted this in the heating and plumbing forum they are very helpful there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

where are you situated ?

• Advertisement

red bull wrote: »
    where are you situated ?

Tuam area

hession wrote: »
    red bull wrote: »
    where are you situated ?

Tuam area
    I'm also in Tuam but have yet to find a plumber who I would recommend. The lad I used was a little bit of a nightmare but eventually got the job done.

sorry to hear that,i just want a good job done not a mess made lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

goatboy1 wrote: »
    I am currently looking at installing a non boiler solid fuel stove in my house, I have looked at various models and through my browsing i have seen stoves being advertised on donedeal. The stoves they are advertising seem alot cheaper than other suppliers. I am just wondering if anybody has purchased one of these stoves that are being supplied by stoves direct. The one I am looking to purchase is a 4 - 5 kw one and they have it priced at €185.00, where other suppliers are in around €300.00. Any advice on what to buy would be greatly appreciated

Merging stove threads.

Plumbing and heating might be a good bet too, as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Murphy heating in Kinvara are top class and they will arrange to have it fitted.The amount of staff they have shows how busy they are and that must be a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Agnes1975

I had a plumber for pricing: material: 600 euro, plumber 900 :/ quite expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Alan152

I got a stove installed today, bought it on the long mile road, I can see it getting a lot of use!

Alan152 wrote: »
    I got a stove installed today, bought it on the long mile road, I can see it getting a lot of use!

what kinda stove you get how many rads it heat ?what kinda price

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Alan152

it wasnt a back boiler stove, just a standard solid fuel 8kw, it has nearly been going 24/7.....bought for 329 but paid a lot extra to have the old fireplace Kango'd out to fit it in nicely. Be careful when buying a back boiler stove, if it says it will heat 6 rads then that only means 6 single rads(they dont make this too well known that it is not double rads)

Would love to have a back boiler one for even hot water but would cost me a good bit to have the plumbing done. Money well spent though in my opinion.

Advertisement