Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demanding Dog

• 23-09-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

My 4 year old Shih Tzu is getting more and more demanding. At night he sits in front of me and almost talks to me, giving out like an oul lad until I play with him. It's wearing me down, he is well walked (a good 40 mins every day) he has the best of toys and a sister to play with. I am guilty of letting the two sleep on my bed and lately he's not in his usual spot at the bottom of the bed he wants to be on my legs and he's actually interrupting my sleep. Where have I gone wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You'll hear from a lot of people that he is trying to dominate you and be head of the family but personally I dont believe in that sort of thinking, the dog knows hes a dog and isnt trying to be superior but he has figured what he can get away with and will push for more. By giving into his demands you are reinforcing the fact that if he does this he will get rewarded. Its like a puppy whining at night, you go down to see is he ok, pet him and leave. Puppy then realizes 'oh, if I whine she will come to me' sp next time he whines, if you ignore him he will just keep going and going because he knows you will give in. Its the same in your situation, doggy knows if I moan I will get played with, if I lie on this part of the bed I wont be moved. It'll be a tough behaviour to break if its been ingrained for so long but my advice to you would be to ignore him no matter how hard he tries, dont give any sign of acknowledging him, be it through talking or even looking at him, all this is giving him what he wants. Then when he goes quiet, give him a reward. Something like a stuffed Kong to keep him occupied. And in regard to the bedroom, having a dog in your bed is fine but if its disturbing your sleep something needs to be done. Get him a nice cosy bed of his own to sleep in, place it beside your bed so he is still near you but dont let him back up. If he goes back up, a firm no and place him back in his space. You may also consider getting a play pen or crate type set up that he cant get out of if he is a cereal bed jumper. There will be lots of whining and giving out but the only way to break the habit is persistence. Best of luck! He sounds like a right character!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

The dog is being dominant. Hes trying to control, that is the literal definition of dominance. I sometimes wonder what people think that word actually means. No matter what school of thought you come from, the dog is trying to control certain situations. It will only get worse if left unchecked.

Just be a little harsher when dealing with him OP. I dont mean beat the dog or anything ridiculous like that but be less emotional when dealing with him. Dont think you are hurting his feelings when you say no, you're not. He may or may not understand hes a dog (I dont think Ive seen anything that proves this one way or the other) but he certainly wont get upset over not being allowed on the bed.

Advertisement