Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming/Digital Art build- Travel friendly.

Options
  • 24-09-2012 8:39am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

So my last thread stop getting responses for some reason. So let's try this again. Underneath is my current hopes for the build, and underneath that are the questions I still have.

bitfenix-prodigy.jpg
    Bitfenix Prodigy Midnight Black (not yet purchased)

Z77E-ITX(m).jpg
    P_500.jpg
    Motherboard- ASRock Z77E-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX or ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe, Sockel 1155, ITX (not yet decided)

intel-core-i7-3770k_851_detail.jpg
    Processor- Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core (Purchased- W360,000)

31AWLZPp%2BnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    GPU- ASUS GTX 660 Ti Series Graphics Card 2GB (Purchased- W390,000)

41cg3M4zuVL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg
    RAM- Corsair Vengeance LP Performance Memory Modules 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) (Purchased- $88.99)

41Wx0DJftBL._AA300_.jpg
    SSD- Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s (Purchased- $164.99)

PSU (Undecided- at least 500W-preferrably only 140mm long- not yet purchased)

Questions

1. I have no PC building kit; so if I need a screwdriver, spare screws, thermal paste, tie downs, anything else like that, I don’t got ‘em. Can anyone recommend a good one that has all the tools I will need?

2. I bought RAM that Amazon.com states is buffered. But if you look at the spec requirements of both the motherboards I’m looking at, they state the following: RAM Supported 2 DIMM slots - DDR3 , non-ECC , unbuffered. So, will this RAM work in my motherboard?

3. Will I be able to get away with using an external blu-ray drive for windows installation? I would only ever use a drive for blu-ray movies anyway, no point in having an optical drive clogging up the airflow. Are all blu-ray players 3D blu-ray compatible? Will a 6X USB 2.0 player be enough for 3D blu-rays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That RAM should be fine in any standard motherboards.

Do you need the 3770? What is this build for? Unless you're going to use the hyperthreading (for encoding etc.), a 3570K would be a better buy.

Yeah, an external drive will probably work. You could install from a USB drive instead. You'd need a 4GB+ drive. Instructions in the guide in my signature.

3D films depends mostly on the tv AFAIK rather than the drive itself. It should be okay. Oh yeah, the software is important too as the software support for blu rays is really crappy at the moment.

For 3D games, you need a 120Hz monitor* and nVidia graphics card and glasses. Or you can avail of polarisation technology and it probably works fine with AMD cards.

*Not a 120Hz tv!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Cheers for the reply.

I went with the 3770 cause I do a lot of 3D work too, simulating particles, hair, clothes, so I figured I would use the multi-threading for that and rendering images.

Will a 3D TV not work with the stereo that the 660ti outputs? Does it have to be a dedicated computer panel?

My bitfenix prodigy arrived today... broken :( Those squishy handles have that clip on mechanism, rather than being screwed on, and mine came with two or three snapped off, the tool that was delivering the box obviously just threw the thing cause they were on on the same end. Looking into send it back now. Ho hum.

If you've got some money to spare and you're thinking of the 3770, then also consider the 3770K.

3D tv (i.e., films) is not really dependent on the graphics card much at all. You need a 3D tv. The tv puts the two images (which can be stored in a variety of forms) together in a way that it's viewable as 3D.

Who sent you the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Im pretty sure he already has the 3770

Yah I already bought the 3770. I am actually trying to do this as cheap as possible but get as much bang for my buck as possible. 3770K is a bit more than I was willing to pay. Will probably just upgrade if and when the time comes that the 3770 doesn't cut it anymore (when we're all rocking 8GB GPU's :P)

A Korean re-seller sent me the case but god knows when it got damaged; there are many reports of the same thing happening to US customers. We are about to start a massive 5 day national holiday here, so I'll have to chase them down for a replacement after that.

Cheers for the replies guys. Would anyone recommend a PC building kit? How are those anti-static wristbands used?

I was perusing over my 660ti the other night and noticed on the back, which is a matte black, had a little chip on the top right corner where a screw had been put in, showing the copper underneath. Is that going to be a problem? This is my first build, I really don't know how delicate these parts are :D

• Advertisement

Don't bother with a kit. A few screwdrivers should do. Phillips.

About the 660ti: Best if you put up a picture to show what you mean.

I'll get a pic of the chip on the 660ti up ASAP :)

I also wanna say thanks to you Monotype, I see you in every thread helping everybody out :) You do great work.

What am I to do about windows? I hear that softwareforstudents has no more licences? Is there any other way to get a student licence? My sister is doing her masters atm, would be handy. What type should I get? I only plan on installing on this machine I think.

Unfortunately, you can't get the student upgrade licenses alright.
    Some colleges will offer discounted windows for students, so you'd have to send an email off to the computing department. Sometimes they can even be free if you're doing a computers course.

If you find no luck there you're only left with buying it for ~€90 from amazon.co.uk or somewhere or if you can't spare the funds, you can try the free Windows Server that you get on dreamspark. Check the windows guide in my signature. I'll have some free time next week so I'll update the guides if I can.

2012-10-06%2014.30.51.jpg

Here is that chip in the 'paint' job. It's that triangular orange (copper?) bit. Sorry that it isn't that clear, the card is still in its wrappings. Basically it looks like when someone was putting that screw in the went too far and some of the 'paint' chipped off. Should be alright though right? How delicate is all the stuff on the back of the card? Some of it does look s like the card shouldn't be handled too much.

It's hard to see exactly what is going on as I can't make out the texture.

Assuming any circuitry isn't damaged, it's probably okay. You could always test it unless you thought it was a serious hazard that could damage the rest of your components.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I cant see either, but I imagine it should be ok, if i doubt, just be ready when you first power on the pc to kill the power incase something abnormal happens. Components can take a fair bit of abuse (although its not advised of course !) in my last build I almost knackered the motherboard by putting a backing plate for a custom cooler on the wrong way and screwing it on too tight. Moral of the story.. take your time and look carefully !

Thanks yeah. I guess because this is my first build Im just paranoid about a dead component. I took my ssd out for a look today, theres not one but two static electricity warnings! Could static kill an ssd through its casing? Im very prone to gathering static :P

Through the casing? No, that's not really going to happen. Just don't run your fingers along the contacts etc.

What extra cables will I need when I have everything all together? Judging off the components up top? The SSD didn't come with any cabling for example. Still scratching my head over where I'll get a cheap windows licence...

Also if I want to capture 360/PS3 games using my PC in HD, what are my options?

Motherboard might only have two SATA cables, so you'll need a third if you have HHD + SSD + DVD.

Depending on where you buy the PSU, you may need a cable. Kettle plug type you see in all PCs. I hope you bought a good PSU!

Don't know about capturing games from consoles but I'm pretty sure most people would use capture cards though. Since you'll have a graphics card, you'll have to find a USB capture card instead.

This is the PSU I am going with.

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=256877739&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=zalman+power+supply

I know you don't read Korean hah but is seems decent, and operates on a few voltage levels so I won't have to swap it out if I move country.

Have decided on the Asus ASUS P8Z77-I for my motherboard, but goddamn it is expensive here >:( About $100 dollars more than in the states and Europe!! Can anyone recommend any other mobos that will fit in the Prodigy? Not keen on the ASRock at all, lacks features/slots and that wifi antenna is just hideous, not to mention the extremely awkward placement of the processor slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Andy!! wrote: »
    Not keen on the ASRock at all, lacks features/slots and that wifi antenna is just hideous, not to mention the extremely awkward placement of the processor slot.

Don't know what you mean by lack of features or slots?? They have a few different features all right (asrock-msata slot, asus-2xEsata slots), but most things are the same.

I agree the wifi antenna looks cheap :o but it's sturdy and functional, you could always go aftermarket if looks are that big of a deal, should be able to pick up a nice antenna for cheap on fleabay.

I have the ASRock and would recommend it over the ASUS any day.
    I have used many boards from both makers and there is only one winner for me. Not much between them other than the ASRock being a good bit cheaper!

Kitguru Must Have

The CPU socket placement can be a killer blow for some people though.

Water cooling negates that problem, but that may not be possible if you are travelling with the system.

Air cooling will have limited options but I will run you through a few good ones.

All of the below will enable use of the PCIe slot.

I'm using the Cooler Master Geminii S524
    Others include
    Prolimatech Samuel 17
    Noctua NH-L12
    Thermalright AXP-140
    Scythe Shuriken Rev. B
    Xigmatek PRAETON LD964
    Zalman CNPS9900 MAX

Some are easier to use and have better performance than others, one or two need slight mods (slight bending of the heatpipes), and some are expensive but you have choices. :D

If you would rather a decent tower style cooler than the ASUS would be the better board hands down, you would have no limitations really.

Hope that helps somewhat. :cool:

Have you bought that PSU or where are you buying? It's an okay budget PSU, but you might be able to find a better deal if you look around.

Nah Ive still not found a PSU or motherboard. Gonna hunt for a PSU tomorrow, try to find one that works with several voltages. Then gonna have to make a hard call on what mobo to buy.

If I dump my whole steam library on my SSD, will it slow down bootup etc.? Would there be any point in getting a 60Gb ssd just for Windows?

Most of them work on several voltages automatically now.

SSDs don't slow down the more you fill them up... well aside from a few of them like the Vertex 4 or ones with asynchronous NAND (Agility 3, Force3).

• Advertisement

Replacement Bitfenix Prodigy arrived in one piece today :) Ordering motherboard and PSU today hopefully... but damn that ASRock has its CPU slot so close the PCIe!! What the hell were they thinking?? Not even sure if the stock cooler will fit...

Replacement Bitfenix Prodigy arrived in one piece today :)

Not even sure if the stock cooler will fit...

Good news about the case! Here is the stock cooler fitted

stock%2520hsf%2520%25282%2529.JPG

superneat wrote: »

Good news about the case! Here is the stock cooler fitted

stock%2520hsf%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Aye but I meant with a discrete on :) I reckon it will though ... gonna stick with the stock cooler. Handy that they even have cooling goo on them these days.

Aye but I meant with a discrete on :)

There will be no problem using the stock cooler and a graphics card. Very little space between them but there is no contact made.

Cheers neat :)

How do I make a Windows USB? I read Mono's guide, and followed all links, but can't seem to find a way. Can't use wintoflash, it freaks out over the fact that the language on my work computer is set to Korean. I have the right ISO, and a formatted 16GB USB ready to go.

Cheers neat :)

How do I make a Windows USB? I read Mono's guide, and followed all links, but can't seem to find a way. Can't use wintoflash, it freaks out over the fact that the language on my work computer is set to Korean. I have the right ISO, and a formatted 16GB USB ready to go.

Are you trying to make the USB in a windows OS?
    If so use the Windows USB Tool
    Info HERE

If the tool fails or doesn't complete the installation, afterwards open the ISO file with any program that can access the files or mount it, and copy over the install files yourself, the tool will have already made the USB bootable.

If you can't get through with that there is the manual method using a elevated commands.

Apparently I need Image Mastering API v2... but can't find a direct link to that. So so conveluted, damn MS. Can I not just extract the ISO to the USB?

Yeah where is the download link? When I hit continue it doesnt work.

• Advertisement

Try another browser. Maybe internet explorer.

Advertisement