Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea kitchen - yes or no??

• 24-09-2012 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Have spent the last two weekends visiting kitchen showrooms - prices are varying between €7k and €10k excl apppliances and fitting. Went to Ikea yesterday and price is in region of €7k incl appliances. Quality seems fine but just wondering if anyone has an Ikea kitchen - did it work out ok? Any reason why we shouldn't consider one?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Got one earlier this year and very happy with it. Did the installation ourselves with a little help.

Didn't get any of their appliances so can't comment on them. We got cheaper appliances from Powercity or DID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I installed one in our utility last December..
    The quality overall is definitely good.
    I would however say that the doors would be considerably lighter than the equavlent from a kitchen supplier, I'm not sure if this is a potential problem or not, just something I noticed...
    The carcasses seem very sturdy and are easy to assemble...

When your comparing prices I'm sure you've been checking if the carcasses are MDF or Chipboard.. It has an effect on the price overall..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 RachWatch

Thanks bbam - I'm fairly sure my OH has been comparing MDF vs chipboard but it's a point worth noting!

Thanks curiosb - will do a price comparison on the appliances :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

We have one in our family home which I put together about 5-6 years ago, it's still in very good condition and they seem to be very sturdy.

Once I put the freestanding kitchen units together we got someone in to attach to the wall to make it extra secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

After putting in my Ikea kitchen and then comparing it to a friends'one, that had been made by locall fitter - his one looks far sturdier [thicker carcassing and solid backs,rather than tacked on hard board].
    Also, the Ikea floor units fit right up, flush with the walls so any pipe work is restricied to the 16 cm gap ,under the units- which might pose a problem to you. Other brands/independent fitters leave a void at the back,to accomodate pipework,wiring.

If, in the future,I was to re-fit - I wii definately be getting at least a quote from the local kichen maker, before enduring another return to Ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The Ikea kitchens are sometimes harder to fit,due to the way they are built andkitchen waste pipes and fittings.

A carpenter friend of mine also told me that Ikea kitchens are a slightly diffferent size to Irish/Uk kitchens,so you cant fit standard size kitchen doors to the carcas,if you ever want to change doors and the colour scheme.

I dont know how true that is though??

I priced with 6 different kitchen companies for my new kitchen,and Ikea were only 3rd cheapest out of the 6 companies.

paddy147 wrote: »
    The Ikea kitchens are sometimes harder to fit,due to the way they are built andkitchen waste pipes and fittings.

A carpenter friend of mine also told me that Ikea kitchens are a slightly diffferent size to Irish/Uk kitchens,so you cant fit standard size kitchen doors to the carcas,if you ever want to change doors and the colour scheme.

I dont know how true that is though??

I priced with 6 different kitchen companies for my new kitchen,and Ikea were only 3rd cheapest out of the 6 companies.

Hi paddy147
    Thanks! Who did you go with in the end? I've also shopped around about five places and am still shopping!!

RachWatch wrote: »
    Hi paddy147
    Thanks! Who did you go with in the end? I've also shopped around about five places and am still shopping!!

After a good bit of battering and haggling with all companies,I eventually went with "In House".

But only after 3 trips to them and some serious haggling on my part.;)

My carpenter mate fitted the kitchen for me,he did a bit of one off work too to integrate every applience into the kitchen.

PS-This is just my own experience,so dont be put off by Ikea.

Everyone has different tastes and styles that they like.

I also saved a small fortune by buying all my appliences from "warehouse clearence events".

Queing up/siting on a deck chair for several hours on an early Saturday Morning to get the pick of the crop when the warehouse clearence event starts.

If you shop around and haggle hard,then you can get very good bargains indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 barfold

Hi
    The Ikea kitchens are not as solid as say in-house/ panelling centre, backs are just hardboard and the units do not have service space at the back which also means that walls have to be perfectly straight and plum, not possible to scribe to walls. If price difference was not huge would go for in-house or similar, get a fitter with trade discount and get it supplied and fitted for same as supply only price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

barfold wrote: »
    Hi
    The Ikea kitchens are not as solid as say in-house/ panelling centre, backs are just hardboard and the units do not have service space at the back which also means that walls have to be perfectly straight and plum, not possible to scribe to walls. If price difference was not huge would go for in-house or similar, get a fitter with trade discount and get it supplied and fitted for same as supply only price

In my opinion, any competent DIY'er or kitchen fitter would have no difficulty fitting an IKEA kitchen. Yes, the quality of the In-House kitchens is beter but the price is significantly greater.

Cerco wrote: »
    In my opinion, any competent DIY'er or kitchen fitter would have no difficulty fitting an IKEA kitchen. Yes, the quality of the In-House kitchens is beter but the price is significantly greater.

In House had a deal on that was the following.....

"Buy half,and get the other half for free".

They had large full page ads in the Herald and Northside People newspapers recently.

Im not too sure if that deal is still active?

PS-In my own case In House were alot cheaper than Ikea.Tierney Kitchens were 2nd cheapest,and then Ikea was 3rd.You CANNOT haggle with Ikea,so thats a stumbling block right there straight away.

Your kitchen is fab paddy147 - we're going for cream too. Have been to In House, and they were dearer than Ikea, but might go back and haggle :)
    will also shop around for appliances

Anyone any recommendations re work / counter tops? Granite is crazy money but looks great. Most providers are recommending laminate. We like the glossy one but again, keen to find best prices!

tks

Your kitchen is fab paddy147 - we're going for cream too. Have been to In House, and they were dearer than Ikea, but might go back and haggle :)
    will also shop around for appliances

Anyone any recommendations re work / counter tops? Granite is crazy money but looks great. Most providers are recommending laminate. We like the glossy one but again, keen to find best prices!

tks

Thanks.
    I dealt with the "trade counter".We did the painting ourselves,so that saved even more money.;)

Thanks Paddy147 - I googled 'trade counter' but they seem to be about commercial vehicles - did you mean the trade counter in In House or a separate company? thanks

Thanks Paddy147 - I googled 'trade counter' but they seem to be about commercial vehicles - did you mean the trade counter in In House or a separate company? thanks

Trade Counter in In House.;)

Aha - doh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Lovely kitchen Paddy. Well designed too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've fitted an IKEA kitchen a few years ago, and I have to say I'm very happy with it. The quality is good, and it came in at about a third to a fifth of what most other places were quoting price-wise. I didn't go with their appliances as they didnt do them at the time, but I've heard they are good.

If you are going to go with IKEA, download their software and design the kitchen on your PC before you go near the place. Makes life much easier. Also, do not go near IKEA on a weekend, it's mental!

Gaspode wrote: »
    I've fitted an IKEA kitchen a few years ago, and I have to say I'm very happy with it. The quality is good, and it came in at about a third to a fifth of what most other places were quoting price-wise. I didn't go with their appliances as they didnt do them at the time, but I've heard they are good.

If you are going to go with IKEA, download their software and design the kitchen on your PC before you go near the place. Makes life much easier. Also, do not go near IKEA on a weekend, it's mental!

Yep,lunchtime on a Saturday or Sunday is not the best time to go there.

Its absolutely stuffed full of people and prams and buggies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,467 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kitchen looks great paddy, about to get an ikea kitchen.
    The appliances aren't overly cheap in ikea but they have a 5 year warranty and I know it'll fit 100% and all the lines will match up.

Will post up pics in 2 weeks when I start it

Ikea are doing a €100 voucher when you spend over €1000. Can you be cute with this and divide your kitchen into a few transactions, or do they give you €100 for every €1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

I have installed 5 kitchens now, 4 of them being Ikea ones. I like them and the quality is good.

The problem with them is that there is no space behind them for the pipework. Consequently the pipes have to be routed underneath the carcasses. Depending on what type of sink unit you get you may have to take the pipes up through the cupboard. in our last kitchen, built last year, we had an old fashioned type of sink which fitted into a cupboard which had no back, so it wasn't an issue.

I've got hole saws ;)

Did you use ikea appliances?

Not normally as their appliances are often dearer than you can get elsewhere. Although we did buy a cooker hood that was in a sale there and cheap. When we got it home we used paint remover to take off the Ikea label ! :D

I'm assuming everything is a standard size these days, the fridge is the only thing I'm wondering about, assume the doors are a selection of standard sizes too?

Must investigate the warranty thing, looking at all the appliances combined, there's a good bit to be saved by going with mid range brands.

Yes the applicances are all standard sizes, usually 60cm wide, but you can get some, such as fridges that are 50cms if you need them. You can also get matching doors to put on the front of the appliances so that they are built in to the kitchen units. That's a standard whichever kitchen you get and you're right you can save a lot of money by shopping around for your electricals, the internet is often substantially cheaper. However, if you are buying more than one you may be able to haggle for a bigger discount.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Thanks Roynie for your comments - am still 'dithering' about Ikea vs kitchen supplier - decisions, desicions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

We put in an Ikea kitchen last year and got the appliances from them too

At the time they had an offer on for buy 3 appliances get one free so with that they worked out cheaper than other places plus they also had bigger cabinet sizes which we needed for storage space, much bigger than your normal size

The appliances have worked perfectly, I think they are all made by Whirlpool just not branded so no real worry there

Very happy with it so far given what we paid for it

The disadvantage with Ikea, as someone else has said, is that you can't haggle - but they do sales and occasional offers as The Recliner says. The units also come flat packed so they can be very fiddly to build and install.

On the other hand they are very flexible and the ranges they do have been around for quite a long time so you can usually buy an extra unit or two to match ones you may have previously installed.

As the saying goes, you pay your money and make your choice.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Kitchen looks great paddy, about to get an ikea kitchen.
    The appliances aren't overly cheap in ikea but they have a 5 year warranty and I know it'll fit 100% and all the lines will match up.

Will post up pics in 2 weeks when I start it

Ikea are doing a €100 voucher when you spend over €1000. Can you be cute with this and divide your kitchen into a few transactions, or do they give you €100 for every €1000?

Thanks.

Im not too certain on whether you could split the ikea kitchen cost up to get lots of vouchers.

You could allways play dumb and try it though.;)

I managed to get 6 x 7 feet tall large Kentia Palm Plants off Ikea for a mere 25 euro each.

They were on a trolley with 25 euro price tag on the trolley.

They should have been 50 euro each.

So I played dumb and went with 6 of them to the cash till.

When it came up at 50 euro each,I said "no way,they are 25 euro each".

Shop floor manager had a "quiet chat" with me (away from other customers),and she gave me them for 25 euro each.

RESULT.:D

PS-Hope all goes well with your Ikea kitchen,dont forget to try your luck with the vouchers too.Let us know how it goes for you.:)

Advertisement