Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea kitchen - yes or no??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,467 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

paddy147 wrote: »

PS-Hope all goes well with your Ikea kitchen,dont forget to try your luck with the vouchers too.Let us know how it goes for you.:)

Quick update, got the units, got the appliances elsewhere except the oven and built in microwave.

Vouchers were no problem.

Waited 4 hours for them to pick the stuff from stock though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Quick update, got the units, got the appliances elsewhere except the oven and built in microwave.

Vouchers were no problem.

Waited 4 hours for them to pick the stuff from stock though.

Thats the 1 bad thing that I dont like about Ikea.

They are very very slow to actually get an item out of stock,where you have to pay for it in advance.

I had to wait 40 minutes just for a bloody sink strainer and sink plug.:(

They could take a leaf out of Argos,es book on how to get things out of storage fast and get it to a customer who is waiting at the desk.;)

Glad to hear it worked out for you,in the end.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

RachWatch wrote: »
    Have spent the last two weekends visiting kitchen showrooms - prices are varying between €7k and €10k excl apppliances and fitting. Went to Ikea yesterday and price is in region of €7k incl appliances. Quality seems fine but just wondering if anyone has an Ikea kitchen - did it work out ok? Any reason why we shouldn't consider one?

Thanks!!

Hi op
    Got an ikea kitchen there last month. The cabinets and the doors are very solid and good quality. It's MDF but it's not just any old chipboard, it's dense and similar to wood. The doors and drawers are also very solid.

It's not the same as a real wood kitchen obviously. But i wouldn't think it would give you problems either as regards build quality. It also looks very well and we didn't go for the most expensive one.
    We assembled the cabinets ourselves - it's not too hard and the fitter has less to do (less time they spend the better:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thats the 1 bad thing that I dont like about Ikea.

They are very very slow to actually get an item out of stock,where you have to pay for it in advance.

I had to wait 40 minutes just for a bloody sink strainer and sink plug.:(

They could take a leaf out of Argos,es book on how to get things out of storage fast and get it to a customer who is waiting at the desk.;)

Glad to hear it worked out for you,in the end.:D
    Sounds like an IKEA Ireland problem. I bought a kitchen from an IKEA in Germany and had it in about 20 mins.

I also dislike the lack of void space behind IKEA kitchens. I've also installed 2 B&Q kitchens and I feel the quality is very similar-it is after all just flat pack chip board for the most part and this has been pretty much perfected now.

I have to say I was very surprised at the lack of a void having installed B&Q ones before, I just assumed IKEA would have this too. Our dishwasher pipes have to come in from the adjacent unit and you see them. It's done to save a few mm in smaller continental apartments IMO.

I'm gonna throw a few of the carcasses together today, I did one the other evening and it all seems straightforward.
    Must throw up a print screen of what it's supposed to look like.

Went with a sink unit from ikea too, weird non standard drain pipe too. Can an adaptor be got for these I wonder?

• Advertisement

I'm gonna throw a few of the carcasses together today, I did one the other evening and it all seems straightforward.
    Must throw up a print screen of what it's supposed to look like.

Went with a sink unit from ikea too, weird non standard drain pipe too. Can an adaptor be got for these I wonder?

Should be able to get some adaptor pieces.

CDV Plumbing Supplies in Coolmine Ind Estate,Davies bathroom/plumbing centre in Harmanstown,or any good builders providers should be able to help you.

Jast make sure you have a U-Trap there under the sink,to prevent foul smells comming back up out of the sink and half sink bowl too.;)

murphaph wrote: »
    Sounds like an IKEA Ireland problem. I bought a kitchen from an IKEA in Germany and had it in about 20 mins.

I also dislike the lack of void space behind IKEA kitchens. I've also installed 2 B&Q kitchens and I feel the quality is very similar-it is after all just flat pack chip board for the most part and this has been pretty much perfected now.

I have to say I was very surprised at the lack of a void having installed B&Q ones before, I just assumed IKEA would have this too. Our dishwasher pipes have to come in from the adjacent unit and you see them. It's done to save a few mm in smaller continental apartments IMO.

I avoided B&Q as I was told a 6-8 week waiting tome for the kitchen,from time of order/purchase.

No use to me,when I wanted the kitchen within 2 weeks,due to builder and carpenter on a tight timescle.;)

I went with In House for my kitchen.Paid for the kitchen on a Tuesday afternoon,and it was all delievered very next morning.
    Now that is service.

I got all my appliences from a factory warehouse clearence sale.

Saved a fortune this way.:)

Should be able to get some adaptor pieces.

CDV Plumbing Supplies in Coolmine Ind Estate,Davies bathroom/plumbing centre in Harmanstown,or any good builders providers should be able to help you.

Jast make sure you have a U-Trap there under the sink,to prevent foul smells comming back up out of the sink and half sink bowl too.;)

This is what I got

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20215523/

The large grey plastic tub part is the U-Trap.:)

You may need a reducer/adapter to mate the flexi pipe up to standard 40mm white waste water pipe.

I bought an Ikea bathroom sink trap kit,and it was to much fcuking around with it to get it work on a normal bathroom sink and 32mm waste pipe.

I just used a normal adjustable U-Trap instead.

It should work out handy enough. The dishwasher is to the left of the sink, went for one that isn't nearly as deep as the ikea one so it'll just mean running the waste out the side of the cabinet and no need for much hacking.

Got a carousel for the corner unit. It's a serious bit of heavy duty engineering.

• Advertisement

It should work out handy enough. The dishwasher is to the left of the sink, went for one that isn't nearly as deep as the ikea one so it'll just mean running the waste out the side of the cabinet and no need for much hacking.

Got a carousel for the corner unit. It's a serious bit of heavy duty engineering.

Does the waste outlet from the dishwasher plumb into that Ikea under sink trap system??

Does the waste outlet from the dishwasher plumb into that Ikea under sink trap system??

Apparently so. There's a PDF in the link there. Not sure if that will work in my case but it would be handy if it did. It'll take a dishwasher and a washing machine (no washing machine in this case), not sure if the waste pipes on an irish spec machine are compatible with those connections. PDF suggests they have rubber hoses with jubilee clips. I'll have to wing it and see what happens.

If all else fails I'll just do the dishwasher the old fashioned way (shove the hose down the waste pipe)

Apparently so. There's a PDF in the link there. Not sure if that will work in my case but it would be handy if it did. It'll take a dishwasher and a washing machine (no washing machine in this case), not sure if the waste pipes on an irish spec machine are compatible with those connections. PDF suggests they have rubber hoses with jubilee clips. I'll have to wing it and see what happens.

If all else fails I'll just do the dishwasher the old fashioned way (shove the hose down the waste pipe)

Yep,my dishwasher waste outlet pipe has a flexi rubber house and fit on with a jubilee clip.:)

I would be surprised if the Ikea unit didnt work with a dishwasher outlet pipe...in this modern day and age.;)

Ah sure it probably will fit just fine, I'll let future colm figure that one out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The reducer/adaptor for the drain is in the top right of that picture, so you shouldn't need anything else.

The lovely girl in ikea said I needed to buy an adaptor though and that they don't sell them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hmmm, I know I was worried for a while as the house I was putting the kitchen into had really old plumbing in odd non-metric sizes, but it worked out in the end without buying anything extra. My memory is not great, but I'm pretty sure that's the reducer alright.

Mind you, the design has sod all going for it and it was tricky enough to figure out what went where.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Hmmm, I know I was worried for a while as the house I was putting the kitchen into had really old plumbing in odd non-metric sizes, but it worked out in the end without buying anything extra. My memory is not great, but I'm pretty sure that's the reducer alright.

Mind you, the design has sod all going for it and it was tricky enough to figure out what went where.

You would need a solvent weld or compression adaptor to fit onto the existing kitchen wate pipe.

I would never just slot on a pipe and hope that it stays in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Also when putting your carcases together use wood adhesive on ALL joins. Don't rely on the supplied screws - joiners alone. ;);)

Did this with B&Q kitchen carcases when I put my kitchen in about 7 years ago and nothing has come apart / sagged so far.

Advertisement