Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLR Sport

Options
  • 24-09-2012 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know has anyone in WLR carried out any research into whether their sports programme going out from 3 till 5 on a Saturday is working or not. I have heard that people are giving a miss in their droves, as it starts an hour behind the likes of Today FM, Newstalk etc, Programmes people used to tune into when the WLR offering ended at 2pm.

Staying with WLR Sport, their coverage of the senior football championship on Saturday was nothing short of a disgrace. There was three senior football games played in Fraher Field. One of the games was without doubt the game of the year, and all we got from them is was it one live update in the sports show between 3 and 5, the result of the game was given out on the 5pm news and in the other two games there night have been one live update from the Nire and Kilrossanty game, and nothing from the An Rinn and Ballinacourty game until Sean Organ gave the results out on Sunday morning.

I was not listening on Friday evening to find out if they gave details of the Rathgormack and Clashmore game in Fraher Field but I could safly bet that up dates were given every 10 or 15 minutes from the game at the RSC.

The L in WLR stands for local. I think most people would prefer to hear how local games are going in the county regardless of what sport they are on a Saturday and Sunday, but WLR right now seems to think that it is results of games involving Birmingham, Middlesborough, Ipswich or some other lowly teams across the ponds that we want.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Nothing NEW about you complaining about WLR:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

In all fairness wlr should just focus on local sport because other stations do better sports coverage/sports shows. Local games would be the only thing that wlr has over them. I haven't listened to their sports show in years. Is it still just a music program with the odd score thrown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Agree with OP re the new time for the Sports Show - thought it was great from 12 - 2 but now I never hear it!

However, I do think they need to look at their coverage of local sport. I tuned in on Friday to find out how Waterford & Gold Coast were getting on in the All Ireland semi final in golf and heard a story about the Mayo team for the All Ireland on Sunday!!!

Also the reports from the RSC on Friday night were once at 8pm and a half time as well as once in second half and a full time!

Reports from the Fraher Field should be exactly the same!

I do believe they have to look at International Sport (i.e. Cross Channel Soccer) as well because they should want to hold onto their listeners.

However the balance needs to be right! I couldn't care less about a Mayo or Donegal story on Sunday (apart from the score) never mind the previous Friday. But I did want to see how Gold Coast were getting on and my LOCAL station didn't have the info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

In all fairness wlr should just focus on local sport because other stations do better sports coverage/sports shows. Local games would be the only thing that wlr has over them. I haven't listened to their sports show in years. Is it still just a music program with the odd score thrown in?
    A radio station with a sports show that doesn't report the Premiership and Champions League sports news? That sounds like a great idea. :rolleyes:

A radio station with a sports show that doesn't report the Premiership and Champions League sports news? That sounds like a great idea. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that is their main focus should be localised stories.
    Most people I know would not listen to wlr for premiership and champions league news. If they want those stories then they would listen to off the ball on newstalk nightly at 7-10 or today fm on a Saturday as it has actual coverage of a game or newstalk who do it on a Sunday. The only selling point they have over those stations is someone tuning in on the chance they will hear local GAA or soccer reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Black Suir I have to totally agree about Saturday nights reports from Fraher Field. Very few and far between compared to other times when very good coverage is given. I got onto Waterford Gaa Twitter which was fantastic to get the updates coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EDB66

scout353 wrote: »
    Agree with OP re the new time for the Sports Show - thought it was great from 12 - 2 but now I never hear it!

However, I do think they need to look at their coverage of local sport. I tuned in on Friday to find out how Waterford & Gold Coast were getting on in the All Ireland semi final in golf and heard a story about the Mayo team for the All Ireland on Sunday!!!

Also the reports from the RSC on Friday night were once at 8pm and a half time as well as once in second half and a full time!

Reports from the Fraher Field should be exactly the same!

I do believe they have to look at International Sport (i.e. Cross Channel Soccer) as well because they should want to hold onto their listeners.

However the balance needs to be right! I couldn't care less about a Mayo or Donegal story on Sunday (apart from the score) never mind the previous Friday. But I did want to see how Gold Coast were getting on and my LOCAL station didn't have the info!!

Funny reading this post you would think WLR are all over the Blues like a rash, at the expense of local GAA interests, some would agree to differ, I'm sure :)

Like a rash....ha! We get an interview on a Friday on the news and thats our build up for the weekends game. Hurling team plays and silly mcarthy and them all can't shut up about it, the blues play and they give no coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

If it wasn't for Matt Keane and Adrian Flanagan WLR wouldn't know where the RSC was and who played there!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Black Suir wrote: »
    Does anyone know has anyone in WLR carried out any research into whether their sports programme going out from 3 till 5 on a Saturday is working or not. I have heard that people are giving a miss in their droves, as it starts an hour behind the likes of Today FM, Newstalk etc, Programmes people used to tune into when the WLR offering ended at 2pm.

Staying with WLR Sport, their coverage of the senior football championship on Saturday was nothing short of a disgrace. There was three senior football games played in Fraher Field. One of the games was without doubt the game of the year, and all we got from them is was it one live update in the sports show between 3 and 5, the result of the game was given out on the 5pm news and in the other two games there night have been one live update from the Nire and Kilrossanty game, and nothing from the An Rinn and Ballinacourty game until Sean Organ gave the results out on Sunday morning.

I was not listening on Friday evening to find out if they gave details of the Rathgormack and Clashmore game in Fraher Field but I could safly bet that up dates were given every 10 or 15 minutes from the game at the RSC.

The L in WLR stands for local. I think most people would prefer to hear how local games are going in the county regardless of what sport they are on a Saturday and Sunday, but WLR right now seems to think that it is results of games involving Birmingham, Middlesborough, Ipswich or some other lowly teams across the ponds that we want.
    Black suir, quick question for u - do you also post as deise tom? Agree with ure points re local coverage by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Brianne wrote: »
    Black Suir I have to totally agree about Saturday nights reports from Fraher Field. Very few and far between compared to other times when very good coverage is given. I got onto Waterford Gaa Twitter which was fantastic to get the updates coming in.

I have to agree with you. Emer Barry, the County PRO is doing a good job on it. It also seems that if she is not at a particular match she has someone that is tweeting updates to the county boards account.

Like a rash....ha! We get an interview on a Friday on the news and thats our build up for the weekends game. Hurling team plays and silly mcarthy and them all can't shut up about it, the blues play and they give no coverage.

Its a known fact that Billy McCarthy does not have much is any interest in sport and he depends on those in the station that are supposed to be in the know to fill them it. It is clear that some in the sport's department does not have any interest in the G.A.A.

Black suir, quick question for u - do you also post as deise tom? Agree with ure points re local coverage by the way.

no. Know him however.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

i see wlr are getting some stick on there facebook page because there not covering the waterford utd playoff game sat nyt live! bit shoddy from them i have to say considering the clubs future nearly rests on this game! "local station of the year" huh!:)

Very very poor from WLR even by their standards. It's an absolute disgrace. Bloody amateurs.

EDB66 wrote: »
    Funny reading this post you would think WLR are all over the Blues like a rash, at the expense of local GAA interests, some would agree to differ, I'm sure :)

If you read my post you'd see that the crucial words in the line about the coverage of the Blues is "were once at 8pm and half time"

Their coverage of Waterford United has been shambolic this year!

And the decision not to cover the playoff is disgraceful!

Were there no other entries in Station of The Year that they could win this award!

Has the coverage not always been at most regular updates from whoever is at the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EDB66

Has the coverage not always been at most regular updates from whoever is at the match?

Regular updates would be order of the day, I think WLR need/will only do a Blues game live, if a sponsor is in place. If the Facebook talk of several sponsors being willing to come on-board but the station deciding to only do updates, was to be factually correct then the station should hang their heads in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

There was sponsors lined up to for it but WLR chose to only do 'updates'
    Its disgraceful and they keep deleting posts on the Facebook page from disgruntled Waterford Utd fans and the general soccer community in Waterford. They only care about the Gah. Local station me arse.

Maybe they are just paving the way to cover Cork games next year, since they are owned by Cork people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

A radio show reporting on Premiership scores? How would they go about that, considering the Premiership hasn't existed since 2007...

They used to cover all the Blues away games live but this season there has been nothing! Many times they didnt even have updates from the away games and the coverage from the RSC has ben patchy as well. BUt wasn't the Blues Chairman paying for the sponsorship and now he is no longer willing to do that they decide not to! Even though according to other sites there were a number of sponsors willing to pay for the coverage!

Considering the club finished second in the league and are now involved in a playoff to try and gain promotion it should have been a no brainer for them to do the game live and in full!

They keep deleting peoples posts and are trotting our the mantra that the game will be covered - so 4 one minute reports over 2 hours is covering their only local professional team! And if they are sending someone to the game anyway, driving to Longford, what is the additional cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

There was sponsors lined up to for it but WLR chose to only do 'updates'
    Its disgraceful and they keep deleting posts on the Facebook page from disgruntled Waterford Utd fans and the general soccer community in Waterford. They only care about the Gah. Local station me arse.

It's not that they only care about GAA. They only care about the Waterford senior hurling team and John Mullne in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Looks like people power has won..after all the grief they got they have decided to broadcast it live and in full from 7:15

What a turnaround!!!

AdMMM wrote: »
    A radio show reporting on Premiership scores? How would they go about that, considering the Premiership hasn't existed since 2007...
    My simple mind calls the Barclays Premier League the Premiership. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

AdMMM wrote: »

You're not really that pedantic are you?! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Brilliant stuff. well done to all concerned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyone who attended the match, could they keep a copy of the match programme for me? Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So far a good night !!!!

Advertisement