Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal advice regarding discrimination

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Can a child be refused entry to a school, on the basis that he / she is openly gay / a lesbian. Due to the school's religious beliefs ?

***Please refer me to any cases disputing this matter, and / or any books / links that I could read regarding discrimination in work place / schools due to a person's sexual orientation.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Have you read the charter?

Go here:http://www.equality.ie/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Look at section 7 Equal Status Act 2000, if this is an essay question that would be a good start. If on the other hand this is a real situation seek legal advice from solicitor or FLAC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I think in the Irish education system, as far as I could see, there was a policy of 'Don't ask, don't tell'.

And that rule seemed to apply to teachers, pupils and Christian Brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I find the question to be a little odd. The age of consent for sexual activity is 17. The average age for leaving school is 17. How can a child be openly homosexual if they cannot legally engage in any sexual activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

MagicSean wrote: »
    I find the question to be a little odd. The age of consent for sexual activity is 17. The average age for leaving school is 17. How can a child be openly homosexual if they cannot legally engage in any sexual activity.

I assume a 14 year old who is openly straight may not be engaging in sexual activity. Same with a 14 year old gay boy or lesbian girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

MagicSean wrote: »

It is referring to sexual orientation as opposed to sexual history/activity.

I think this is an essay topic? Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Claire McCarthy Cork

The short answer is absolutely not. Has this happened?

Advertisement