Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can employee keep ph number after resigning

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all,

I'm looking for some information in relation to employee rights.

I have been working for the Irish company for nearly two years. I was provided with the mobile phone and a number. I handed my notice two weeks ago and will be leaving this company shortly. I obviously will be returning the mobile phone, as it is company's asset, however I got very used to the number, as you can imagine and was wondering if anybody knows, if there is a way I can keep it.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ask them if you can keep the number. You may be able to.

But, it is totally up to the company, if they want to release the number or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annake

Thanks Paulw,

I suspected that was the case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It is highly likely they would allow you to keep the number. They will not want a new employee being hassled by your friends continuing to ring the number. You could organise a new phone now and transfer your work phone number to it in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If customers and other work contacts know that number (its a work phone) then I could see situations where they would take the number back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Depending on how you use the phone, the number is probably a company asset and would be retained by them if you leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The OP already has the numbers of all the clients he dealt with so there's nothing to stop him/her calling those customers and informing them that he's now working for XXX. Keeping the number would be an act of pettiness on the part of his former employer though I can see how some paranoid companies might try to hang on to the number.

OP, you don't have an absolute right to keep the number if the employer was playing the bill but if you talk to the person in your company who looks after the mobile phone account, they will be able to advise you if the company allows it or not. You will need to open a new account with the existing network, get the number transferred to the new account and take it from there.

I did this a couple of years back, you will need to have the name of a contact in the network that the shop assistant can call to get the OK to move the number. The person in your existing company who looks after the mobile phone a/c will be able to give you the contact name in the network, without that name the people in the shop won't entertain the notion of moving an existing number to a new personal customer account because the number will be flagged as a corporate a/c.

Advertisement