Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a jerk (chicken)!

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Going to try a jerk chicken recipe this weekend, methinks. But what portion of chicken goes best with jerk? I'm thinking a half dozen drumsticks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think thighs and drumsticks are good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The answer to the question "what cut of chicken is best for ..." is always thigh.
    Always.

no exception.

Ever.

Thigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seaneh wrote: »
    The answer to the question "what cut of chicken is best for ..." is always thigh.
    Always.

no exception.

Ever.

Thigh.

I agree, though I don't turn my nose up at drumsticks either.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I like a nice leg...

I've been known to enjoy a breast at times as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I like a nice leg...

I've been known to enjoy a breast at times as well :pac:

Yeah, and I love a nice wing! Wait...

On a related note (not to this quote), anyone know where I'd get some scotch bonnets? Never seen em in Tesco (would the tiny little chillies they sell be as good?) and my choices are limited outside of that. What sort of a shop sells good strong chillies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

corblimey wrote: »
    Yeah, and I love a nice wing! Wait...

On a related note (not to this quote), anyone know where I'd get some scotch bonnets?
    Never seen em in Tesco (would the tiny little chillies they sell be as good?) and my choices are limited outside of that. What sort of a shop sells good strong chillies?

Lidl and Aldi do packets of chillies with birds eye, jalapeno, habanero and scotch bonnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

longshanks wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi do packets of chillies with birds eye, jalapeno, habanero and scotch bonnets.

The Aldi packets are like russian roulette, they're a little bit vague as to what is actually in the packet, there's just a generic picture and you can get bland with two or bumblowing hot with only one. The little ones in Tesco's are usually Thai birds-eye and are (usually HOT but I did get caught out once) i think they are more predictable heatwise but scotch bonnets will give a more authentic taste for west indian dishes. Do you have access to any ethic shops?

Cedrus wrote: »
    The Aldi packets are like russian roulette, they're a little bit vague as to what is actually in the packet, there's just a generic picture and you can get bland with two or bumblowing hot with only one. The little ones in Tesco's are usually Thai birds-eye and are (usually HOT but I did get caught out once) i think they are more predictable heatwise but scotch bonnets will give a more authentic taste for west indian dishes. Do you have access to any ethic shops?

Not easily, but I think it might be worth the effort for authenticity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I know this is about chicken, but for me it has to be pork, in the oven or on the BBQ until the fat is crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Anyone got a proven recipe for Jerk ckicken?

• Advertisement

Guill wrote: »
    Anyone got a proven recipe for Jerk ckicken?

I'll let you know on Monday :D

I recommend getting Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Its incredible. Apperently it can be picked up in Ireland but I had to order it online from the UK but shipping wasn't too bad. I got some jerky and ghost chillis from the same place so it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Always.

no exception.

Ever.

Thigh.
    +1 to this. i can't imagine why anyone would ever use anything else. :)

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I recommend getting Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Its incredible. Apperently it can be picked up in Ireland but I had to order it online from the UK but shipping wasn't too bad. I got some jerky and ghost chillis from the same place so it was worth it.

Can you pm me where you got it online? It's too late for this weekend, but good to know for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Cedrus wrote: »

Got a packet in Aldi in Tullamore with three Scotch Bonnets in it. All the rest of them had two.

I used birds eye chillies (doubled the amount) and while there was a good bit of heat, it occurred to me half way through eating that I've never had jerk chicken before, so I don't know if a self-made rub was the best idea - I had no idea if the taste was any good, I found it pretty salty. :rolleyes::p

If anybody wants to try, I used Gordon Ramsay's recipe here . For the next go around, I'll see if the packet stuff from Walkerswood is better or worse.

corblimey wrote: »
    I used birds eye chillies (doubled the amount) and while there was a good bit of heat, it occurred to me half way through eating that I've never had jerk chicken before, so I don't know if a self-made rub was the best idea - I had no idea if the taste was any good, I found it pretty salty. :rolleyes::p

If anybody wants to try, I used Gordon Ramsay's recipe here . For the next go around, I'll see if the packet stuff from Walkerswood is better or worse.

The walkerswood jerk rub is very salty, delicious spicey, salty, goodness.

You only really need to use a small bit per chicken breast/pork chop to get great flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Walkerswood is good but nothing beats eating jerk chicken in Jamaica. The real secret is that the charcoal is made from pimento wood and gives the meat a flavour that is impossible to replicate.

Here's a recipe I got from a friend who is the chef/owner of a successful Jamaican restaurant in Florida.

Dry Ingredients

Onion Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Ginger
    Dehydrated lime zest
    Pimento
    Dehydrated scotch bonnet pepper .
    Thyme
    Sea Salt

Wet Ingredients:

Worcestershire Sauce
    Soy Sauce
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Olive oil

Method:

Combine all dry ingredients in blender and blend to a fine powdery consistency, then add small portions of wet ingredients, add oil last. Remember this is a paste, not a rub or marinate. Final product should not be too watery or too dry. To prep meat, apply generous portion of paste to meat and let sit for minimum two hours prior grilling. Grill meat using indirect heat. Have fun!

You'll notice that he didn't specify any quantities. That's because he assumed that I, as a West Indian, should instictively know how much to use.

I've seen many other variations in Jamaica as every family seems to have their own special recipe. The only constant is the use of pimento berries (allspice) and pimento charcoal. I saw one person add pineapple juice to their jerk mix and it was absolutely delicious as apparently pineapple contains an enzyme that tenderises the meat.

There are videos on YouTube that teach you how to make jerk. The ones by Jamaicans are authentic.

Advertisement