Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get internet WITHOUT wireless??????

• 24-09-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I just moved in a new apartment and i have to get internet, tv contract etc. I need internet to be pretty fast, as i use skype a lot.
    I don't consider getting wireless internet at home a particularly wise idea, as apparently it is not too good for your health.... in France wireless has been forbidden in all schools and libraries as it is considered unhealthy, so why should i get it at home, a place where i spend so much time???
    My question is: is there any internet provider offering the good old cable internet service, without imposing you a wireless service too??? UPC, Vodafone, and any other provider i looked up, they all offer wireless and you can't get internet without getting it wireless too...
    A bundle with tv would be ok too...
    Thanks for your advice!!!!
    :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is of course possible, just turn off the wireless on the router provided.

As for the rest of your post, seems a bit like tinfoil-hat syndrome. You know wireless works using radio waves right? So, if you can pick up 2fm, there is a wireless signal there already.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

There's no evidence that Electromagnetic hypersensitivity actually exists and is little more than loud hypercondriacs complaining because they can. If you live in an apartment block anything like my, your place will be awash with wifi signals from your neighbours. io9 ran a good piece about it all a few months ago: http://io9.com/5893671/no-your-wi+fi-signal-is-not-giving-you-allergies

To answer your question though, yes you can have broadband without wireless. I have a separate broadband modem and wireless boxes with UPC. If I wanted to restrict where I set up my laptop, I could bypass the wireless box and plug straight into the modem and access the internet that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU can run an ethernet cable to router,
    i had a router from smart ,no wifi, only got wifi router last year.
    it might be possible to turn off wifi on the router .
    buy 10 or 20ft ethernet cable in maplins, or pcworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ste76

Hi, thanks for the good advises + the opinions about my good self being a bit hypocondriac.... :-)
    What can i tell you? Maybe i am, but surely i am in good company as WHO classified wifi as a potential carcinogen, the Council of Europe recommended schools to remove wifi systems and this recommendation is being followed through in France and Canada....

Anyway i didn't want to open a debate about the potential harm of wifi, but only get an information....

Thanks a lot to you all who took the time to reply + does anyone else have further advise for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ste76 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the good advises + the opinions about my good self being a bit hypocondriac.... :-)
    What can i tell you? Maybe i am, but surely i am in good company as WHO classified wifi as a potential carcinogen, the Council of Europe recommended schools to remove wifi systems and this recommendation is being followed through in France and Canada....

Anyway i didn't want to open a debate about the potential harm of wifi, but only get an information....

Thanks a lot to you all who took the time to reply + does anyone else have further advise for me?

Turn off the wifi access point part of the router and move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You'll probably need a long cable + a spare one

http://www.cablemonkey.ie/acatalog/Booted_Leads.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

OP what are you gonne do about your neighbours WiFi ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Your ISP does not provide you with a wireless service, your router does and the fact that it does so is entirely up to you. Just switch it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

LOL
    Actually reading just the other day that it's being investigated again to see if it causes harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I respect your decision not to have wireless. I don't use wireless either, for health and security reasons. I use Ethernet to connect computers to the internet.

All you have to do is disable the wireless function on your router, instructions for this should be in the manual. Instead connect to the internet using a Ethernet cable, from your computer, into the router. There’s usually 4 ports (LAN ports) at the back of the router to do this, see below:

5wb5o6.jpg2u4j31s.jpg

Oracle wrote: »
    I respect your decision not to have wireless. I don't use wireless either, for health and security reasons. I use Ethernet to connect computers to the internet.

All you have to do is disable the wireless function on your router, instructions for this should be in the manual. Instead connect to the internet using a Ethernet cable, from your computer, into the router. There’s usually 4 ports (LAN ports) at the back of the router to do this, see below:

5wb5o6.jpg2u4j31s.jpg

You have been super-kind and helpful, thanks a million!!
    I am glad you understand my point + you support my luddist attitude :-D

Thanks to everyone else too, think of me every time you use your wireless device :-)

gctest50 wrote: »
    You'll probably need a long cable + a spare one

http://www.cablemonkey.ie/acatalog/Booted_Leads.html
    Thanks for this useful info!!

riclad wrote: »
    YOU can run an ethernet cable to router,
    i had a router from smart ,no wifi, only got wifi router last year.
    it might be possible to turn off wifi on the router .
    buy 10 or 20ft ethernet cable in maplins, or pcworld.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sunshine is a carcinogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

sunshine is a carcinogen.
    we do not get that in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

AlarmBelle wrote: »
    we do not get that in ireland

hmmm.

o_O

very very well played.

hmmm.

o_O

very very well played.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Actually reading just the other day that it's being investigated again to see if it causes harm.
    Never mind:rolleyes:, who funds these bulls*it studies.

Never mind:rolleyes:, who funds these bulls*it studies.
    It says
    There was no information on how the study was conducted
    Of course, the researchers suggest that they cannot be 100 percent right and there remains uncertainty in risk assessments
    However, that uncertainty is believed to be "small". For the future, it is recommended that "cancer registries should follow the development of cancer incidence in the future and research should not cease", despite the apparent lack of insight that can be gained.
    by who

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quinntan

Sorry to be pedantic, but when the WHO classifies something as a potential carcinogen, it's essentially them shrugging their shoulders and saying "I dunno, ask somebody else."

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭orwellg84

Without getting into the argument of WiFi health issues it's practically impossible to live anywhere that is not awash with wireless. Just get a loan of a smartphone with a wifi scanner and you will see just the visible networks, there will be many more not shown. However just because everyone in in on the game does not mean that some should still remain sceptical, that's a healthy balance.

As for your problem avoiding wifi in home. Have you though of using Powerline connectors? Basically this is where your incoming BB is linked by wire to the electric plug point and at the other end you have another connector plugged into another socket connecting to your computer? Cleaner than loads of long cable and you can move around as needed to computer, smart tv etc.

Advertisement