Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Rifles Light/Inexpensive

Options
  • 24-09-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

A retired neighbour of mine called around yesterday. He has decided to get back into shooting as when the fishing season is over he has nothing to do. He was keen on something he could use for rabbits and take to the range the odd time. So I steered him in the direction of a .22lr.
    He told me he has a bad shoulder so I advised him to get a CZ Style as it is way lighter than my 10/22T and just as accurate.

I was thinking today though. Are there any alternatives in the same price bracket/weight as a CZ Style? I like the stainless barrel and how light they are. Also a new price of £400 and a re-sale of £320 is not to be sniffed at...

Obviously something like an Annie would be lovely, but really for the novice you would want your whole package to be coming in at under £550. I’ll be keeping my eye out for a SH Bushnell 10x40 for him. I’ve had a fetish for one for a long time, but never actually used on in the flesh...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

IMO you are right there already with a CZ anything. Failing that, a Ruger model 77 in .22might do the job if you can find one.

My local gun dealer has around 50-60 s/h .22 rifles in bolt-action for waaaaaaay less than you want to pay, including models from Anschutz - give me a PM if you need any help from this side of the water. The dealer happily sends stuff over to the North, and I can pretty much guarantee that if I like it, so will your pal.

A wide sling would also be a great help whilst cavorting around the glens, helping to spread the weight.

Good luck

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

tac foley wrote: »
    IMO you are right there already with a CZ anything. Failing that, a Ruger model 77 in .22might do the job if you can find one.

My local gun dealer has around 50-60 s/h .22 rifles in bolt-action for waaaaaaay less than you want to pay, including models from Anschutz - give me a PM if you need any help from this side of the water. The dealer happily sends stuff over to the North, and I can pretty much guarantee that if I like it, so will your pal.

A wide sling would also be a great help whilst cavorting around the glens, helping to spread the weight.

Good luck

tac

Thanks Tac!
    I don't think I can agree on the Ruger 77... I had an all-weather and it was a Lot heavier than my mate's CZ Style- but by God I loved that gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

A S/H anschutz 1422 ...pick a good one up for around the same price as a S/H CZ .

Glensman wrote: »
    Thanks Tac!
    I don't think I can agree on the Ruger 77... I had an all-weather and it was a Lot heavier than my mate's CZ Style- but by God I loved that gun!

Well, I was thinking about the £££ rather than the lbs...:D

tac
    vcrai.com

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭franknrol

how bout a cz american with 16 inch barrel, got one last month. wouldn,t know yer carrying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

If you looking for a light and extremly accurate gun i would suggest an anschutz 1417 i have one for bunny bashing and id never use anything else..14inch barrel never know you had it on you shoulder.

ruger1894c wrote: »
    If you looking for a light and extremly accurate gun i would suggest an anschutz 1417 i have one for bunny bashing and id never use anything else..14inch barrel never know you had it on you shoulder.

I'll have a look at the annie's alright. I'd say it would have to be SH though...

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

franknrol wrote: »
    how bout a cz american with 16 inch barrel, got one last month. wouldn,t know yer carrying it

Second..

Mighty gun that.

'hdz

hedzball wrote: »
    Second..

Mighty gun that.

'hdz

The Style is the same only lighter and has a stainless barrel...

You might just run into problems with barrels that short in the Republic of Ireland......

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

My understanding of that law Tac is that once it comes out of the factory with a short barrel, below 50cm, things are ok.
    If you get a barrel shortened back to below 50cm that's when things get interesting.

dev110 wrote: »
    My understanding of that law Tac is that once it comes out of the factory with a short barrel, below 50cm, things are ok.
    If you get a barrel shortened back to below 50cm that's when things get interesting.

Thank you, Sir.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

This is also my understanding of the law as my fo inspected my rifle before issueing my license

Advertisement