Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pay a "Church tax"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Would I fcuk! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Would I fcuk! :eek:

Took the VERY words out of my mouth.
    Like fcuk I would.

Its bad enough we are now likely going to pay a "Household media" tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

They can **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Eh no...TBH I can't see their even being a church in 200 years. The worlds evolving fast and they are being left behind. Like it or not science will eventually prove them wrong and that's already showing with numbers dropping all over the world.

Of course there will always be certain types of religion/extremeists etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Isn't it similar to paying tithes? And if so, wasn't that common enough here not too long ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what about us non catholics? i feel sorry as it is for people paying into the catholic cult but now the animals could force a tax on people.
    let the animal in the vatican sell off all the nazi gold and art

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Pay a tax to support one of the richest tax-free entities in the world ?

You wonder why the country is ****ed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wouldn't give the Catholic church the steam off my piss, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

TIL some people don't know what opt-out means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I'd pay it long before I'd pay the household charge / property tax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

mike65 wrote: »
    I find the very concept bizarre but several European countries have one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/german-bishops-church-tax_n_1903038.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

In Germany the Catholic Church is getting worried by the numbers who are opting out and so are threatening to withdraw all privileges, which includes work in Catholic run bodies like schools and hospitals.

How are Churches funded here? Is it just by passing the plate, donations and maybe sales of land/property?

Would you prefer an official tax with an opt out/in that carries sanctions/privileges?
    I do not believe that it is the role of the State to collect fundsw on behalf on third party organizatios, particularly organizations with such a dubious reputation as organized religions.
    I would be oppossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It isn't mandatory to pay in Germany, and is also collected by the regional authorities on behalf of the various Protestant denominations. If you don't believe or want to pay then you do not need to, however you also lose the right to get married in a Catholic church, have your children christened by the church, be buried in a graveyard ran by the denomination in question and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

A Cult tax ? No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Call it, 'the collection of compensation for victims of paedo priests tax'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How are Churches funded here?

Priests rape kids, taxpayer pays the compo, bishops who facilitated the raping get off scot free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd like to see the church pay tax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Who will it go to?

What about other religions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Sergeant wrote: »
    however you also lose the right to get married in a Catholic church, have your children christened by the church, be buried in a graveyard ran by the denomination in question and so forth.

Never paid a cent (or pfennig as it was back then) in Church tax, but I still got my daughters Christened in Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pay to pray. And here was me thinking they'd stopped selling indulgences.

The Catholic Corporation is undergoing some turbulent financial times, give them your money or go to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Pay a tax to support one of the richest tax-free entities in the world ?

You wonder why the country is ****ed ?

We dont pay it here and we are still fooked.

It seems fair to me, if your avail of the services provided by the church funerals, weddings etc. you should pay for them.
    There would also be a lot more financial acountability as the gov. would know what income the churches take in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thing the RCC should be taxed to cover the compensation that they wriggled out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It seems fair to me, if your avail of the services provided by the church funerals, weddings etc. you should pay for them. .

And you do. Anyone getting married or buried in Ireland will have to hand over a brown envelope of cash to the priest. Often you have to pay the priest and pay for the church hire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'd wish they'd introduce this here, it would quickly sort the religious from the non-religious and allow those of us who truly hate the evil church to get excommunicated for one and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd love if they brought it in. I wouldn't pay it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd be buggered, if they tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Id love if it came in, lets see how many "Catholics" are actually in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cheers for that :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Father O' Malley answers the phone.

'Hello, is this Father O'Malley?'
    'It is'

'This is the Revenue, income tax department. Can you help us?'
    'I can.'

'Do you know a Ted Houlihan?'
    'I do'

'Is he a member of your congregation?'
    'He is'

'Did he donate €10,000 to the church?'
    'He will.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would quickly see a drop in the number of people claiming to be Catholic in the census if this was brought in

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

TIL some people don't know what opt-out means

Wouldnt it be easier for the people who want to pay to just donate to their church...some form of a benefit, an entitlement, a "collection" if you will.

And now the means to do this...hrm would have to be wide to ensure the money doesnt fall off, and flat too....so some form of a planar object..a "plate" if you will pardon my terminology.....

Taxpayers also have to pay for the compo to victims of the church, whether a member or not, thanks to FF and alleged opus dei member micheal woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The very fact that the Church is not taxed at the moment, means we are already paying a Church tax in the form of unlimited tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Here in Austria, there is a church tax.

Alot of expats moving here do not realise that, and when you register to live here, there is a religion box. Alot of people tick catholic out of habit, especially Paddys or Brits, then 10 % of your wage is automatically billed to you or taken directly out of your wages.
    Its very difficult to opt out once you´ve signed up and they will chase you for the money, employing debt collectors etc....

Luckily I was warned and ticked no religion, but I have friends who have 1000´s of Euro debts racked up this way....

Its a fooking sham, and it disgusts me that its dealt with this way.

Religion should play no part in the running/ taxing of a nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Here in Austria, there is a church tax.

Alot of expats moving here do not realise that, and when you register to live here, there is a religion box. Alot of people tick catholic out of habit, especially Paddys or Brits, then 10 % of your wage is automatically billed to you or taken directly out of your wages.
    Its very difficult to opt out once you´ve signed up and they will chase you for the money, employing debt collectors etc....

Luckily I was warned and ticked no religion, but I have friends who have 1000´s of Euro debts racked up this way....

Its a fooking sham, and it disgusts me that its dealt with this way.

Religion should play no part in the running/ taxing of a nation.

just like religion then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

In most of those cases, its a membership fee. Non members don't pay.
    If I understand the German system correctly, everyone has to pay their tithe but you get to nominate an organization (from a list?) to send yours to. This includes non-religious organizations.

The very fact that the Church is not taxed at the moment, means we are already paying a Church tax in the form of unlimited tax credits.
    They operate a business, charge for their services, make profits. The RCC is nothing more than a foreign multinational operating in Ireland, surely they (and all other cash-for-god outlets obviously), their employees and shareholders should be taxed accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It sounds like something that should have been buried under the sands of time. They can start asking for tithes when they start actually paying taxes!

P.S. - I can't wait until the "LEAVE THE CHURCH ALONE!!!"-types come across this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I'd pay a tax to outlaw the bast*rds

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

LOL. Can we just tax the church instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

the government atm are a bit like how the catholic church used to operate :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

They're the last people I'm going to bend over for.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

Gurgle wrote: »
    They operate a business, charge for their services, make profits. The RCC is nothing more than a foreign multinational operating in Ireland, surely they (and all other cash-for-god outlets obviously), their employees and shareholders should be taxed accordingly.

"...cash-for-god..."

That's very good. I like that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

What's with all the outrage? There are plenty more religions in Ireland than the RCC-

You don't pray, you don't have to pay. It's hardly rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

In most of those cases, its a membership fee. Non members don't pay.
    If I understand the German system correctly, everyone has to pay their tithe but you get to nominate an organization (from a list?) to send yours to. This includes non-religious organizations.

You don't have to pay any kind of tithe unless you are a member of an organisation, especially if you're earning under 19, 000 a year. I just ignored the box completely :pac:, though I was tempted to put down snake-worshipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Eh no...TBH I can't see their even being a church in 200 years. The worlds evolving fast and they are being left behind. Like it or not science will eventually prove them wrong...

Umm no it won't, given that a) most things are only rigourously provable in certain abstract/logical systems, e.g., types of logic and maths, not the physical world, and b) even when these logical systems get marginally complex, there still usually remain fundamentally unknowable/unprovable statements, e.g. the halting problem in computation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Wasn't Enda Kenny gone off to rome or the vatican or somewhere, just this weekend gone to visit the pope. And after his almighty speech issued last year and all.
    Off topic, I know, but god knows what he's scheming up.

As for a church tax, I was raised as a catholic but have very little faith. I do believe that there is something there and some sort of an afterlife but I will not and do not want to support the catholic church or anything to do with them because of the past and what they are known for.

Priests raping boys

Women placed in madaline laundries and the nuns who were supposed to care for them, abusing them and humilating them.

Sheer fcuking sadists.

An idea has just come to me. Move to austria start religion call it Not Applicable then when all the non believers thick the box i get 10%. mmmwha haaa ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

OneArt wrote: »
    though I was tempted to put down snake-worshipper.
    The Germans being who they are, I suspect your tithe would have been directed to the nearest municipal zoo without a blink :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It'd sort out the census catholics

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They operate a business, charge for their services, make profits.

The catholic church makes nothing even close to "profit" in Ireland.

It's run at a massive loss in the vast majority of parishes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement