Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track my mobile

Options
  • 24-09-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone out there ever used track my mobile when their phone was stolen?

Are the guards amenable to you turning up at the station and saying, "here's where my phone is, let's get it"

I just tracked my phone and it places it in the middle of the busy road going by my house. Close, but not close enough to get it back. Maybe it is more accurate sometimes.

What about big brother watching you and knowing where you are at all times? Any Jim Corr fans want to chime in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

A friend of mine had the Gardai call to his door telling him to return a stolen phone which they had tracked to "his house", when really it was anywhere within a 100M or so radius. He didn't steal it, so they went next door and said the same. And to the next house, and the next, and the next, etc. I believe this was because the location info wasn't accurate enough and was only based on mast triangulation rather than GPS. (GPS often won't get a lock indoors). Must have been something important.

Contrary to that story though, was a poster on here a week or so ago who tracked his stolen phone with much better accuracy to a specific house. Gardai didn't want to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It may work in a busy city centre with lots of cells but cell information in rural areas is very thin and the tracker ( AVG Android is free ) could 'locate' it anywhere within 20 miles.

Advertisement