Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car issue

Options
  • 24-09-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Unsure if i have any rights here,

I bought a 2nd hand fuel gauge for my car from a car dismantling company 30 euro, arranged to have it fitted by a mechanic for 80 euro's quote given was 60 but he said he was more work than i though.So after paying out 110 the fault is still there.

I rang the dismantler who told me they will refund me the 30 euro, once i give them the gauge back.Problem here is I'll have to pay for the gauge to be taken out again.

Is there any point contacting the garage or will i be told tough you gave us a faulty part?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

dave1982 wrote: »
    Unsure if i have any rights here,

I bought a 2nd hand fuel gauge for my car from a car dismantling company 30 euro, arranged to have it fitted by a mechanic for 80 euro's quote given was 60 but he said he was more work than i though.So after paying out 110 the fault is still there.

I rang the dismantler who told me they will refund me the 30 euro, once i give them the gauge back.Problem here is I'll have to pay for the gauge to be taken out again.

Is there any point contacting the garage or will i be told tough you gave us a faulty part?

Thanks for reading
    The garage did the work you asked them to do. Not sure exactly what you're asking. If I ran the garage, I'd have a giggle if you came in complaining...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

TBH, you have no come back here really. Take the hit and move on.

You see, when you are dealing with second hand parts from scrap vehicles, there is no guarantee or warranty or anything involved and generally, you buy the parts at your own risk with no comeback.

You get the part at a much reduced rate from a new one but the tradeoff is that it may or may not work.

I am really surprised that they offered you a refund. I tried to return a non working alternator to a breakers a few years ago and was laughed out of their office. Sold as seen. Your lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Thanks lads as i thought, tough **** :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Its possible the gauge is working fine and theres something else amiss. Maybe before sending anything back you try a new gauge and see if that solves it. The breakers may have given a working gauge and maybe your mechanic is wrong with the diagnosis. Not sure where that would lead with regards to refunds though. Should the mechanic refund his installation if he told you the gauge was gone originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There could be a problem with the electrics/float in the fuel tank, and nothing wrong with the gauge at all.

• Advertisement

It was actually the float/gauge in the tank that was replaced,fuel tank has to be taken off to get at it.

Can't work out where else the fault could be to honest, it can read full and in a minute it goes to red.

endacl wrote: »
    The garage did the work you asked them to do. Not sure exactly what you're asking. If I ran the garage, I'd have a giggle if you came in complaining...

They told me it's working fine now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

What car is it? I bet its a focus.
    Its rare something for measuring quantity internal in the tank goes u/s. Sounds like an electrical gremlin tbh. Google the car and specific problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

You can replace in cluster in Focus in less that 10 minutes DIY.

Zafira its a known problem, the spare i bought must have had the same fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I remember seeing a sign in a breakers yard years ago. It read;

Notice. If the part you buy turns out not to be the problem, that's your problem!

:)

Advertisement