Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop not booting windows

• 24-09-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Im trying to recover an old laptop but im not having much luck.

After it shows the toshiba splash it should start to load windows but nothing happens, it just goes to a blank screen. I've tried resetting the BIOS so the default settings which made no difference. I've tried to run the recovery cd but that wont load up either.

I've used ultimatebootcd to test the memory and hard drive several times and recieved no errors, so i cant seem to figure out where the problem lies.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Im trying to recover an old laptop but im not having much luck.

After it shows the toshiba splash it should start to load windows but nothing happens, it just goes to a blank screen. I've tried resetting the BIOS so the default settings which made no difference. I've tried to run the recovery cd but that wont load up either.

I've used ultimatebootcd to test the memory and hard drive several times and recieved no errors, so i cant seem to figure out where the problem lies.

Any ideas?
    In the bios try changing the SATA controller mode. Are you booting off the windows recovery cd, or trying to use the recovery partition? It could be the recovery partition is broken and thats why nothing is loading

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Thanks for the reply.

There is no option to change the SATA controller mode in the bios, theres very limited options actually. I had considered updating the bios but the .exe needs to be run from windows so thats no use to me.

I was trying to run the windows recovery CD but with no success, this is an old laptop and doesn't seem to have a recovery partition.

Edit: I should note that I've cleared the CMOS so the default bios should be loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

Best thing to do is run a live version of linux to copy any of the stuff you want & erinstall windows.

homingbird wrote: »
    Best thing to do is run a live version of linux to copy any of the stuff you want & erinstall windows.

As I've said, i've tried to run the recovery cd but it wont launch, just blank screen. I can boot from the ultimatebootcd fine though.

As I've said, i've tried to run the recovery cd but it wont launch, just blank screen. I can boot from the ultimatebootcd fine though.

It could be the Windows CD your using is damaged? Could you try another one? The disc drive could also be faulty.

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    It could be the Windows CD your using is damaged? Could you try another one? The disc drive could also be faulty.

Nick

Just after trying another XP disk now. It said "Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" and then a blank screen like before.

I had no problem running the ultimatebootcd so I don't think the disc drive is at fault.

Just after trying another XP disk now. It said "Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" and then a blank screen like before.

I had no problem running the ultimatebootcd so I don't think the disc drive is at fault.

At this point you may need to backup everything, completely wipe the drive, and then do a fresh install of windows XP. From Googling it sounds as though issues with hard disk partitions can cause this black screen (here for eg)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    At this point you may need to backup everything, completely wipe the drive, and then do a fresh install of windows XP. From Googling it sounds as though issues with hard disk partitions can cause this black screen (here for eg)

Nick

Thanks Nick, i'll investigate this now and get back to you

Just a quick update, managed to run testdisk and it reports that the MFT and MFT Mirror are bad. There's nothing of major importance on the hard drive so i'll try a format and reinstall tomorrow hopefully.

Just a quick update, managed to run testdisk and it reports that the MFT and MFT Mirror are bad. There's nothing of major importance on the hard drive so i'll try a format and reinstall tomorrow hopefully.

Yeah a fresh install will likely sort it :)

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement