Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good death notice RSS feeds?

Options
  • 24-09-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

My mother's at that unfortunate age where most of the news among her friends is that another person they know has died.

As such she's trying to get more active with checking death notices online, but she's not great with computers or the internet so I'm trying to set things up for her in a convenient manner.

What would be most ideal would be a free RSS feed of death notices, but I haven't been able to find that.

rip.ie is recommended in this forum's sticky, and seems quite good, but doesn't seem to have a feed of any kind.

The Irish Examiner death notices seems to be the most highly regarded by my mother's age group, but is a paid subscription service.

The Irish times obituary feed seems to focus only on "famous" deaths, and isn't really what I'm looking for.

Anyone know of any good free rss feeds for local and/or national deaths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Snobbles100

I was thinking of doing much the same thing for my dad, did you find any rss feeds for rip.ie or any other obituary sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I was thinking of doing much the same thing for my dad, did you find any rss feeds for rip.ie or any other obituary sites?

I tried a few, but was ultimately unhappy with all of them, I chalked the project down to a failure.

The only reply I got here was the person above you, who clearly stopped reading after the subject line.

Since you've reminded me about it now though, I'll look back into this topic over Christmas. Since google reader has ended and the world of RSS feeds is a different place, it's possible there are some options I didn't know about before.

I'll bump the topic if I find anything good.

Please feel free to do the same :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A lot of older people still consider The Examiner to be predominantly a Cork based paper, and many people wouldn't consider putting an announcement in it, for that reason.

The Irish Times is seen as a more 'upper class' type paper- which is reflected in the prices they charge for notices. Many people might view it as a badge of honour to have their death notice there.

The Indo is where most undertakers habitually place announcements (unless specifically requested to place them elsewhere).

More people don't bother placing announcements- relying instead on word of mouth.

I genuinely don't think that its worth your while trying to do up an RSS feed from the various different sources- but if you are going to do something- the one commonality to all the different sources- is they all post the details in RIP.ie

Moving away from an RSS feed- you could do up a simple SQL query on their database (which remarkably they seem to allow)- and extract the data yourself. You could automate it- it is doable- but its nowhere near as neat and tidy as setting up an RSS reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Reviving this topic again in the hope someone has come up with a simple solution in the meantime.

If not I'll have a look at what The Conductor suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You can now sign up to rip.ie and once signed up you can set email alerts for different counties,towns/villages within a county and surname. Be warned though. If you set it for somewhere like Dublin or Cork you could be getting 20+ emails a day. I've mine set for Kildare and Carlow and I get 5-6 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

Out of curiosity, where does rip.ie get its feed from? Or is it all manually added from a variety of sources..

I have this image of man on a horse delivering a letter during the night and an old woman inputting the names by candlelight!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jacksn wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where does rip.ie get its feed from? Or is it all manually added from a variety of sources..

I have this image of man on a horse delivering a letter during the night and an old woman inputting the names by candlelight!

Information submitted by verified undertakers- normally after its cleared with the family first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Stopped Clock

Information submitted by verified undertakers- normally after its cleared with the family first.

Correct. When my mum died, the undertaker sat down with us and helped us work out the wording of the death notice. I distinctly remember him mentioning RIP.ie. The rest is a blur, though I see her death notice is also on the Irish Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Is she on Facebook or could you set it up for her. There's a Death Notice page by county. I find it great. So she could like the page of counties that are of interest or Dublin areas and it would show up on her newsfeed.

ETA the notice links to the rip.ie death notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement