Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban Jewish skullcap in public, says Marine

• 24-09-2012 12:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Far right politician Marine Le Pen has caused outrage across France by calling for the banning of the Jewish skullcap in public.

‘What would people say if I only asked to ban Muslim clothing? They would burn me as a Muslim hater’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2207486/French-National-Front-leader-calls-ban-wearing-Jewish-skullcap-public--equality.html#ixzz27O458h4r

Certainly. I agree with this. According to the Rabbi it is 'deeply deplorable'. It appears we have double standards in Europe. Its fine to ban religious regalia if its associated with Islam, its fine to even publish bigoted Islamaphobic cartoons. None of that is 'deeply deplorable'? Banning religious headgear only becomes taboo, apparently, when it comes to that other Middle Eastern culture.

I'm all for equality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The National Front hate Jews just as much as Muslims. They have been been keeping there Anti-semitism quiet these days, to focus more on Muslims , but as we can see from the link, its still there. This isn't about equality, its just a rather sorry attempt to hide there Anti-semetism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Well if you're going down that route you might as well ban people wearing crosses, turbans etc. But what gives any one individual or group of individuals the right to dictate what you can and can't wear in public? As much as I dislike the burka, for example, as it is very medieval, I'm not going to impose my own values on someone else and say "you can't wear that because it offends me!" Ditto for cartoons depicting Muhammed, if Muslims don't like it tough, they live a world among other people, many of whom don't share their values and people in the West shouldn't give into religious threats/intolerance, we've seen that happen before in our own histories. It just seems like arguments and conflicts over subjects like this are attributable to people's egos getting out of control. They want to impose their values on everyone else and they should be told where to get off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

wes wrote: »
    The National Front hate Jews just as much as Muslims. They have been been keeping there Anti-semitism quiet these days, to focus more on Muslims , but as we can see from the link, its still there. This isn't about equality, its just a rather sorry attempt to hide there Anti-semetism.

So should the National Front be banned, in your opinion?

Border-Rat wrote: »
    So should the National Front be banned, in your opinion?

I made no mention of banning anything.

However, to answer your question. There not engaged in any organised violence, so no, they shouldn't be. Just, because those clowns wish to ban things, doesn't mean we should stoop to there level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

I made no mention of banning anything.

However, to answer your question. There not engaged in any organised violence, so no, they shouldn't be. Just, because those clowns wish to ban things, doesn't mean we should stoop to there level.

I hope this ire is directed at the French centrists who banned the Burqa too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From my historical reactionary PoV perhaps a public ban on an symbolic item that had incited violence, intolerance and bloodshed that ran into the millions of casualties might be in order. I of course mean the French tricolor.

I hope this ire is directed at the French centrists who banned the Burqa too?

Yes, I did. If you read the threads from back then, you will see my post in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thought they didn't ban the Burqa, just the full veiled ones (the niqab?)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Another day, another anti-Jew thread by Border-Rat.

We've had such classics as the Holocaust described as 'the Jewish fairytale tradition', 9/11 was a 'Jew job' plus many more 'Jews did xyz' threads.

What's interesting to note is the regular users, who are usually defenders of minorities, are entertaining these last few threads started by Border-Rat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Certainly. I agree with this. According to the Rabbi it is 'deeply deplorable'. It appears we have double standards in Europe. Its fine to ban religious regalia if its associated with Islam, its fine to even publish bigoted Islamaphobic cartoons. None of that is 'deeply deplorable'? Banning religious headgear only becomes taboo, apparently, when it comes to that other Middle Eastern culture.
    I'm all for equality.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

It's more bigotry from a shower of bigots. I'm unclear where you're going with this.

• Advertisement

brimal wrote: »
    Another day, another anti-Jew thread by Border-Rat.

We've had such classics as the Holocaust described as 'the Jewish fairytale tradition', 9/11 was a 'Jew job' plus many more 'Jews did xyz' threads.

We have? Certainly I didn't see any such titles, and I'm fairly sure I'd notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

do you post in conspiracy theories much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2207486/French-National-Front-leader-calls-ban-wearing-Jewish-skullcap-public--equality.html#ixzz27O458h4r

I'm all for equality.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

This isn't an issue of equality, though. Marine Le Pen - like her father, Jean-Marie - is hard line racist cunt who wants to destroy what's left of French multiculturalism. Instead of campaigning against France's tradition of secularisation - particularly in the public sector - she's using this policy to handcuff another ethnic group.

This is nothing to do about achieving equality. If it was, Le Pen would argue from the other side saying, "Hey, the Jews are allowed x, y and z so the Muslims should be too." All this is is a sly way of getting "les bleedin' forr-ed-nurs ourra La France".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

humanji wrote: »

Come on now, dont ruin the rant with obvious questions!

humanji wrote: »

Burqa and the Niqab both cover the face. There just different style of the same thing, from different countries. So both were banned.

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Alan_Curry

So am I but Islam doesn't offer equality to gays and women. This is a contradiction. I'm all in favour of banning oppressive clothing and religions. Let's just face facts, Islam is nasty religion and I'm glad I was born in the West. As much as I hate Catholicism, at least we're able to drink here and our women are not treated like second class citizens because political leaders believe in a non-extant God and a paedophile prophet.

All countries should follow in France's footsteps and start clamping down on Islamofascism, it will help inspire and more modernized , up-to-date version of Islam like the Christians did in the 20th Century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Alan_Curry wrote: »
    So am I but Islam doesn't offer equality to gays and women. This is a contradiction. I'm all in favour of banning oppressive clothing and religions. Let's just face facts, Islam is nasty religion and I'm glad I was born in the West. As much as I hate Catholicism, at least we're able to drink here and our women are not treated like second class citizens because political leaders believe in a non-extant God and a paedophile prophet.

All countries should follow in France's footsteps and start clamping down on Islamofascism, it will help inspire and more modernized , up-to-date version of Islam like the Christians did in the 20th Century

Is there a major religion that doesn't discriminate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

So am I but Islam doesn't offer equality to gays and women. This is a contradiction. I'm all in favour of banning oppressive clothing and religions. Let's just face facts, Islam is nasty religion and I'm glad I was born in the West.

Oh god...here we go again!

And who would usher in this "modernised" and "up-to-date" version of Islam? Idealistic tosh.

EDIT: I just noticed this gem of yours: "I'm all in favour of banning oppressive clothing and religions."

So you are in favour of banning religions? I think you and Mao Zedong could have a nice chat over a meal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Alan_Curry wrote: »

Ahhhhh....minor flaw there......the old Catholic Church isn't too fond of gay people either, nor do the promote equality by championing female priests. It's not necessarily the religion that's the problem, it's the amount of power given over to gun wielding twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

Alan_Curry has been banned for a month due to antics in a different thread involving Muslims, so he won't be replying anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Nodin wrote: »
    We have? Certainly I didn't see any such titles, and I'm fairly sure I'd notice.

Yup they are there. In fairness this post is pretty tame compared to Holocaust denial and "Jews did 911" and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Don't catholic clergy also wear the skullcaps, so will they also be banned from wearing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Its fine to ban religious regalia if its associated with Islam

It wasn't fine.

Many people were against the ban.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Yup they are there. In fairness this post is pretty tame compared to Holocaust denial and "Jews did 911" and all that jazz.

Not in Politics though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

I'm all for equality.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Based on your posting history it might well be argued that you are all for anything that is anti-Jewish since you seem to be unable to seperate you open hostility to the state of Israel from Judeism in general.

Frynge wrote: »
    Don't catholic clergy also wear the skullcaps, so will they also be banned from wearing them?

Muslim men sometimes wear something similar as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nevsky

Not in Politics though?

I don't post that much, but had to reply to this one. The amount of anti-Jewish (Not Israeli but Jewish) posts and threads on this forum and others is quite ridiculous at times. Sure the guy who started this thread is banned, but the thread is still open.

Leincar quit boards because of a thread started by a guy who is still not banned, yet the thread was closed. He got 'Invader Zimmy' bang to rights over his racist postings about Jews, Muslims, and black people. He got no backing that I could see on this forum. In fact you said you couldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 peil

Most countries have freedom of religion, France has freedom FROM religion. You're not even supposed to wear a cross, although I somehow doubt if it's a crime and I'm sure no one will stop you.

nevsky wrote: »
    I don't post that much, but had to reply to this one. The amount of anti-Jewish (Not Israeli but Jewish) posts and threads on this forum and others is quite ridiculous at times. Sure the guy who started this thread is banned, but the thread is still open.

Leincar quit boards because of a thread started by a guy who is still not banned, yet the thread was closed. He got 'Invader Zimmy' bang to rights over his racist postings about Jews, Muslims, and black people. He got no backing that I could see on this forum. In fact you said you couldn't see it.

In the politics forum? You've a link or two, I trust?

• Advertisement

In the politics forum? You've a link or two, I trust?

Just look back at some of the threads. Its not just anti-Jewish, there are anti-Islamic threads as well.

Just look back at some of the threads. Its not just anti-Jewish, there are anti-Islamic threads as well.

Examples of anti-jewish threads, please. And this "invader zimmy" thing you're on about as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056684067

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056761273

Thats just two that spring to mind. Other threads that mention Israel quickly descend in to anti-semitism and well you know it. Also there is a thread in Golden Dawn thats skirted pretty close.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056684067

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056761273

Thats just two that spring to mind. Other threads that mention Israel quickly descend in to anti-semitism and well you know it. Also there is a thread in Golden Dawn thats skirted pretty close.

Two. Ones from AH. The other is recent and locked.

And don't tell me no-one advocating a far right position got a hard time in the golden dawn thread.

Anyhoo, if you see an anti-semtic or racist post or thread, report the thing.

MOD NOTE:

I think the discussion over anti-Semitic (and for that matter, anti-Muslim) threads is worthwhile, but belongs in the the 'Discussion of the Rules' thread in this forum, or the Feedback forum for the entire website. I will say, however, that both of the OPs in the links above have been banned (and that includes the OP of this thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Any ethnic group that makes chicken soup that good can't be all bad, as far as I'm concerned.

If only we judged ethnic groups on their cuisine - of course then, we'd be a lot less popular...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wasn't the burqa banned because it disguises someone's identity? A skull cap does not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭rockclover1

in fairness though i dont see how the skull cap obstructs the face in anyway or even the hairline like some scarves wrapped around the side of the head can do..i dont think it is practical to say lets ban it,im beginning to think she is a racist for that.

i can understand the practicality of asking muslims to stop obstructing their faces with a full on burka or head gear,the skull cap though is a different story,it doesnt even interfere with the hairline around the face,its literally on the back of the head the cap is placed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Banning religious garments is almost as idiotic as wearing religious garments.

no i dont agree i think banning certain religious garments like lets say a cloth covering the face or a scarf hiding half the side of your face and hairline,for obvious reasons,so people can be ID'd,i think that is very important,it is what makes our societies as safe as they can be.If any anti social activity were to occur and it was seen as acceptable to wear a burka,or full on head gear,how can that person be ID'd?It could even be a guy under there,could be someone with murdereous intentions,someone physically hiding something,or shoplifting,its our right to know as a public who is there and what they look like.You just never know..

no i dont agree i think banning certain religious garments like lets say a cloth covering the face or a scarf hiding half the side of your face and hairline,for obvious reasons,so people can be ID'd,i think that is very important,it is what makes our societies as safe as they can be.If any anti social activity were to occur and it was seen as acceptable to wear a burka,or full on head gear,how can that person be ID'd?It could even be a guy under there,could be someone with murdereous intentions,someone physically hiding something,or shoplifting,its our right to know as a public who is there and what they look like.You just never know..

So in the name of ID, you pretty much want to ban all and any items which can cover/partially cover the face.
    So scarves, caps, hoodies, sunglasses, Halloween masks etc should all be banned - or do you really just have a thing about Muslims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Burqa and the Niqab both cover the face. There just different style of the same thing, from different countries. So both were banned.

what about a ski mask and a west cork shawl

So in the name of ID, you pretty much want to ban all and any items which can cover/partially cover the face.
    So scarves, caps, hoodies, sunglasses, Halloween masks etc should all be banned - or do you really just have a thing about Muslims?

NO.I dont have a thing about muslims,you just added that in yourself.Just to clear things up.

Halloween items are seasonal,a burka i believe is all year around,as long as men are looking etc.

Hoodies are also seen as a problem or did you not hear politicians also having discussions about the anti social behaviour surrounding hoodies?Caps can also be used to obstruct and sunglasses if worn together.

Would it be acceptable to walk into a bank with a full on biker helmet or would people get suspicious and bankers fingers linger near the alert button?

Its perfectly reasonable to ask the question is the burka or can the burka be used in a criminal situation,you see by normalising the burka you make it more acceptable and a crime could even go unnoticed until it is too late..

Think about that for a change ,instead of hysterically pointing the finger and touting racist or i must have something against muslims.

Sorry to dissapoint.

So you think hoodies and sunglasses should be banned too?

in fairness though i dont see how the skull cap obstructs the face in anyway or even the hairline like some scarves wrapped around the side of the head can do..i dont think it is practical to say lets ban it,im beginning to think she is a racist for that.

i can understand the practicality of asking muslims to stop obstructing their faces with a full on burka or head gear,the skull cap though is a different story,it doesnt even interfere with the hairline around the face,its literally on the back of the head the cap is placed..

They want to ban the skull cap because they're - a lot of of them - anti-semites. Don't listen to that "even handed" crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

They want to ban the skull cap because they're - a lot of of them - anti-semites. Don't listen to that "even handed" crap

They want to ban everyone and anyone who is different to their ickle tribe.

If they did not have skin or religion they would pick on gingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Apples and oranges. You CANNOT have someone in a Burqa go through security in airport. That's just ridiculous.

Now the skullcap should be remove in the same situation just like a baseball cap or hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Zamboni wrote: »
    Hoodies definitely. Add the public wearing of pyjamas or Nike tracksuits to the list.

MOD NOTE:

Per my previous warning, this thread is not the place to discuss anti-Semitism or Islamophobia in this forum or on this website.

If you have concerns about these issues in this forum, there is a "Discussion about the Rules" thread here.

If you have concerns about these issues across the website as a whole, you can start a discussion in Feedback here.

I know that this is a sensitive issue for some posters, so I deleted a few posts rather than infracting them, but from here on out please be advised that I will be infracting them for ignoring moderation and/or dragging a thread off-topic.

If they are worn together it is a purposeful effort to obstruct viewing of the face,so i would say it would be appropraite to remove them for security reasons,just like anybody wearing a full on burka would have to do the same thing,i think it is a reasonable request to expect people to act with a certain decorum in those situations and comply.Wearing full burka or headgear is a deliberate attempt to obstruct the face,it is important also in work situations to not fully obstruct your face..

Advertisement