Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting really angry

• 24-09-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

I was watching the Liverpool-United game with a couple of mates yesterday.

One of them, a Liverpool fan, started to get really p*ssy when they went one down. He was alright at 1-1, but he really started to lose it when they were getting beat.

Cursing under his breath, slamming his pint glass down, kicking the leg of the table, seething, gritted teeth, wouldn't talk to us or his girlfriend.

It struck me as being really childish, and also quite pointless - why get so angry about something over which you have absolutely no control?

Far as I know he's never been to Anfield, but has supported them since early teens.

As a Spurs fan I've had my fair share of disappointments, but I'd never let such a thing totally ruin my mood for the day, and I'd never start acting out and behaving like an eejit over it.

What are your thoughts peeps? Ever really lose the rag over a poor performance by your team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

He should be used to it by now.
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Liverpool didnt go 1 down so thats the first problem with your post

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Does screaming at the ref count? Because if so I do a lot of that.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Your 'Pool mate sounds like a bit of a loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I lost the rag once in Athlone when the referee, whilst walking backwards, stood on the toe of a Shels player, then sent the player off.

I was apoplectic with rage, the guy who gave me a lift down didn't want to bring me back.

Nearly every Shels fan there that day was the same though. That referee had an awful game.

I've never understood people who lose the rag in the pub though, to the extent where they stop talking to their girlfriend.

Your mate has serious mental health issues I think. That is mental behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Football fan in anger at teams performance shocker!

So long as he chills out after the game and gets back to normal life - i don't see the issue here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Des wrote: »
    I lost the rag once in Athlone when the referee, whilst walking backwards, stood on the toe of a Shels player, then sent the player off.

I was apoplectic with rage, the guy who gave me a lift down didn't want to bring me back.

Nearly every Shels fan there that day was the same though. That referee had an awful game.

I've never understood people who lose the rag in the pub though, to the extent where they stop talking to their girlfriend.

I can imagine that a raging old man (from your profiler) would be quite scary and I certainly wouldn't fancy bringing yis home.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Melion wrote: »

81st minute, according to the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Melion wrote: »
    I'm sure he meant at 1-2 Liverpool were one down, post seems a bit pedantic for what is a reasonable post.

I know I get pretty disappointed, not angry but what makes it worse is every time I go to a game we lose I'm an actual human jinx on the team now I'm so superstitious I try and go to sure things only to see us in a shock loss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yes, I can be a raving lunatic when watching sports I care about. Are there more important things in life? Absolutely. Does holding a strong emotional attachment to hobbies or interests make you mentally unhinged? No. Or, at least, if it does then so what? Life is very short. Allowing yourself to feel things to the core and be passionate about your interests can't be a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'm quite lucky in that a really good performance or result puts me in a good mood, but I try to shrug off the lows. I get ridiculously nervous, maybe a bit hyper, but don't think I'm a bother to be around.

It's normal to get kinda glum if the football's not going your way, or even mutter obscenities about players/the ref if things are particularly frustrating. But getting in a right snot about the result of a football match and being ratty to your mates/gf is really immature. It's not their fault that your players/the opposition/the ref/all three are a shower of d**ks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It happens, losing the UCL Final to United in Moscow, I was annoyed for about an hour but got over it.

Same thing happened when we lost to Barca in THAT Semi Final a few years ago.

Depends on the circumstances and performance and a few other variables involved really.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Hi, first post on soccer,

I'm a Spurs fan, Spurs losing a game would affect how my week would start off when i was young teenager, so coupled with school and been a spurs fan i was usually pis*ed off:D, I think it was when Klinsmann did a runner to Bayern Munich when I began to grow up. I'm still a fan and if in London I'll try to get to a game if possible.

But getting worked about their result, I've not done that for a long time, I think the Champions league has helped in this, I can now watch the best football every week without having to get to attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

he probably had a few liverpool players in his fantasy football team or realised his mates had rafael and RVP in theirs..or else he had money on with a paddypower special.

that seems to upset people more these days than the football itself the clowns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have felt this way to some extent ever since I started following football.

These days however, the disappointment is certainly far smaller then when I was a kid and has been replaced with disproportional abjection when I lose my own games on a Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Never really get that angry but get a bit pissed off now and again watching Ireland playing, did however punch a hole in my wardrobe when Dublin lost a seven point lead to Mayo in 2006, I know one lad that whenever united lose he gets into the ultimate pisser and just acts like a spoilt child throwing his toys out of the pram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

A guy who I know gets very upset with people if they are out in the pub for a game and his mates are not paying enough attention to the match. Gets put out if the topic is not about one of the teams playing, or the game itself. I would say it is great fun to wind him up. Easy too.

Most annoyed I have been in recent times was when CCFC let an undeserved lead go in the 94th minute which I thought would cost us promotion. Just went home and went to bed instead of going out as I had planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liverpool losing the other champions league final to ac milan, i was in foul form for about 30minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Looking back on it, it was one of the funniest things that I've ever seen.

At the time however, I may have questioned the ref's parentage loudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

You have to control yourself and remind yourself it's only a game. Yesterday reminded me of that.

I can feel extreme nerves, frustration, anger etc... and when you look at it rationally it's ridiculous. I try now to keep a lid on it as much as possible.

I've tried to be more mature about it over the years because it's absolutely retarded to allow sport to dictate your mood and to get stressed about.

There are more important things and you have to make some effort to prioritise.

I remember a heated drunken argument between 2 friends of mine (a United fan and a Liverpool fan) getting very aggressive when we were 19 or 20 or so, and I think after a few of us realised that it was ridiculous to get so worked up, and that football certainly shouldn't be affecting any of your relationships with people.

I think if football seriously affects your relationships, your mood or your life you need to take a step back and look at it for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Don't get me wrong, but I can understand the guy's behavior to a certain extent. It's a big match, loads of tension, maybe some slagging from United fans as well. Not everybody is able to deal with that, imo

Was roaring myself, because I'm still convinced, JonJo would have got away with a Yellow in any other match :(

And I say United fans behaving in the same manner...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I saw a few Mayo men say and doing a lot worse and being bitter yesterday it goes with sport. Some of the things I've seen and heard a GGA matches are worse than anything I heard at a soccer match across the water. Passion is a good thing being upset is also ok but. Singing songs about people dying or about ref's dying of cancer now that is just plain wrong!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

markesmith wrote: »
    I was watching the Liverpool-United game with a couple of mates yesterday.

One of them, a Liverpool fan, started to get really p*ssy when they went one down. He was alright at 1-1, but he really started to lose it when they were getting beat.

Cursing under his breath, slamming his pint glass down, kicking the leg of the table, seething, gritted teeth, wouldn't talk to us or his girlfriend.

It struck me as being really childish, and also quite pointless - why get so angry about something over which you have absolutely no control?

Far as I know he's never been to Anfield, but has supported them since early teens.

As a Spurs fan I've had my fair share of disappointments, but I'd never let such a thing totally ruin my mood for the day, and I'd never start acting out and behaving like an eejit over it.

What are your thoughts peeps? Ever really lose the rag over a poor performance by your team?

Your friend is an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

As my mother says, "I don't see why everyone gets so worked up over a bunch of grown men running after a ball"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

. Some of the things I've seen and heard a GGA matches are worse than anything I heard at a soccer match across the water. Passion is a good thing being upset is also ok but. Singing songs about people dying or about ref's dying of cancer now that is just plain wrong!!!

So what did you hear from GAA lads that was worse than that, or are you just anti GAA?

So what did you hear from GAA lads that was worse than that, or are you just anti GAA?
    I heard black and tan songs I've heard ira songs. plenty of sick songs north and south. Plenty of sectarianism songs going on. Also the abuse shouted at anyone of colour that plays gga anywhere in this country is just as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Louth fans attacking the ref probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Just to be clear nobody sang any songs about anybody dying of cancer yesterday, it was just some comments on twitter which could have been from anywhere or anyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Some people are just too attached to the sport and let it dictate their moods. We all do to an extent but some people over do it.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Just to be clear nobody sang any songs about anybody dying of cancer yesterday, it was just some comments on twitter which could have been from anywhere or anyone.

Twitter...same ol story. I just don't know, who is more stupid. The one, who posts, or those, who believe those 'stories'

niallo27 wrote: »

Your right. SorryI should have been more clear about that one on twitter not in song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

When Nani missed that penalty against Galatasaray, I hurled my prawn sandwich at the telly in disgust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I can't see how getting 'apopletic with rage' at a Match is explainable because the Ref had a bad game, whereas someone who behaves similarly in the Pub can be dismissed as having 'serious mental health issues'.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    When Nani missed that penalty against Galatasaray, I hurled my prawn sandwich at the telly in disgust.

At least, it was not a Doner Kebab :D

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I have a friend who does this. He will get angry at results. He supports Arsenal but he has anger managment issues in general.

Whenever we watch a Spanish game and Ronaldo comes on the screen he will stick his fingers up at him. If I say Ronaldo is better than Messi he flies off the handle. He hates UTD with a passion, hurry up and die Fergie was muttered once. I don't understand how much ppl hate Utd either apparently.

He stomps around and slams stuff to. He's a glory hunter also, except with the gunners of course, and a big sports nut in general but supports the most successfull teams and people in their respective sports. Barca are his Spanish team, he loves Milan, Federer, Alonso & Schmacher in the F1, Sébastien Loeb in the rallying etc etc

"I love it when one person dominates and is constantly the best" he would say. When Djkovich started winning a lot he got an intense dislike to him and now hates him. He hates Lewis Hamilton now also for daring to be good, Alonso not doing to well isn't helping matters either.

He loved Jose when he was at Chelsea. "He's a genius". When he went to Inter he wanted Inter to do well even though he is a Milan fan? When Inter did the treble his justification of Mourinho being good was complete and he became some sort of footballing expert.

Before Pep, Barca were hardly a blip on his radar, Now he has "fallen in love with them" I'm told. The season Utd knocked them out of the UCL and Ronaldo went onto to win player of the year was a joke, apparently. "He was the top EPL and UCL scorer and won both trophies though?" I offered as an argument. "Giving it to him because he is top scorer is just wrong" I was told. Years later the same argument is used but in reverse, "Messi deserved the award for his 72goals last season and it doesn't matter if he didn't win La Liga."

When Jose went to Madrid he had a dilema. If Barca would lose he was annoyed but "happy for Jose".

If I beat him in FIFA he goes nuts, Mid game if losing he will throw down the pad.
    "I dont like losing"
    "Who does? Have the decency to finish the game"
    "No, load of bollocks,"

People who beat him at FIFA are then thinking they are better than him, that's what annoys him the most, apparently.

The worst thing is due to the tough financial times I have to live with him now. I have rented a room in my house to him.

He can go days without talking to me if I give him a lesson in fifa. It seems we are always choosing opposite sides on all topics too. Recenlty we had an argument about whether the Samsung Galaxy 3 (I recieved one as a gift) was better then the Iphone 5. My arguments of better data speeds, battery life and price plans were ignored in favor of "Its better because its an Iphone"

If I don't post for a while and turn up dead someone please point the cops towards him.

He scares me.

• Advertisement

I'm known to lose the head watching matches. Standing up right beside the tv roaring abuse, sticking up fingers at the tv, punching the chair, throwing things etc would all be quite common occurrences with me when watching a game.

I do tend to tone it down a fair bit if watching a game in the pub as obviously throwing things etc wont be tolerated. But I'm still known for being a bit mad watching by the locals and its been said to me a few times :pac:, they find it funny though.

I tend to lose the head at matches too (mostly GAA games though) and have got into many shouting matchs with rival supporters along with roaring abuse at the ref and rival players. Its a running joke among my family and friends about me going mad at matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I can get angry at a game, but tend to sing songs and get behind the team much more, then blame ref or some player.

I would never take it out on family and friends. If I feel down I go somewhere for bit and just get over it. Though once game is over I generally just forget about it if its bad result and just not watch replays. For instance I never saw Aguero goal that won the league, until Sky showed it before new season. So by that stage it was fine.(ish)

I tend to find that when im at game I find it easier to take disappointment then if I was watching it at home.

Although saying that I dont think I have ever felt as low as I did after Scottish Cup final last season. Worst journey home ever, but dont take it out on anybody. Tend to just be in my own world.

thankfully my family and friends are pretty good although one used to go pretty far sometimes, but has cooled down with age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye, THAT game against Cyprus, when we lost 5-2.
    I swear I was in a mood the whole day. Left the pub (and me girlfriend) and went home to cool off. Came back about an hour later, but I've never been so pissed off at a match before or since!

If I'd been around people when someone (can't remember his name) got sent off for Arsenal against Barcelona when he got a second yellow card for kicking the ball after the whistle I definitely would've had to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

You should have seen this same fella around the time of the Henry controversy - now we were all angry, but this lad just started to hate France and everything about it.

Broke a toe kicking something once while in a blind rage over Henry, broke his wrist a couple of times punching a wall over soccer-related injustices.

I don't know but it's not healthy to feel that angry about these things!

Maybe, being a Spurs fan, I've just got used to those creamy middles :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

**** all wrong with your mate I'd say, it's called having a passion. The way the game went too is obviously a big factor. Liverpool much the better side but losing due to incompetent refereeing is probably the most frustrating way to lose a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Joekers wrote: »
    Never really get that angry but get a bit pissed off now and again watching Ireland playing, did however punch a hole in my wardrobe when Dublin lost a seven point lead to Mayo in 2006, I know one lad that whenever united lose he gets into the ultimate pisser and just acts like a spoilt child throwing his toys out of the pram

Sport is meant to add to my life so even when Rangers were still alive and they beat Celtic I wouldn't let it get to me.

However, the worst I've been after any game in any sport was the Dublin v Mayo game which you mention. It took me about an hour after the game to be able to speak with anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

NSFW, but this is absolutely hilarious. Any fan of any club - my own included - who gets this upset, I genuinely pity them. Why do it to yourself? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I heard black and tan songs I've heard ira songs. plenty of sick songs north and south. Plenty of sectarianism songs going on. Also the abuse shouted at anyone of colour that plays gga anywhere in this country is just as bad.

And were the Black n Tans around you offended at the song?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This guy takes some beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pretending that this lad is watching the football on TV rather than playing Football Manager, this video sums up a regular Saturday afternoon for me between the years of around 2002-2006:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

A couple of years ago I went to Salamanca to watch them play Valladolid, a local derby that is massive for Salamanca fans. I went with a friend who is a huge Salamanca fan, most conversations with him will either end up with him telling some story about when Salamanca beat Real Madrid, or if the conversation is virtual with him sending links to various videos of Salamanca winning at some point in the past.

Salamanca lost 5-0, and as each goal went in my friend changed from anger to devastation to depression back to anger and finally just a kind of shocked emptiness. I like Salamanca a lot and have been to see them play in various parts of Spain, so I was quite upset by the result, but the general mood in the stand that day was at another level.

To make matters worse I'd been invited to Sunday lunch with his family. His dad had also been at the game and as someone who'd had a season ticket for at least 30 years was clearly distraught, but he tried to make conversation, as did the mother. Eventually my friend just snapped and started giving out to his dad for not being angry enough and coming quite close to calling him a traitor. I've never wanted to get out of a place quicker, and I'm sure my mate cried as soon as I left.

The funny thing about the story is that I would happily trade places with him. Yes, his reaction to bad results is over the top and the poor guy is a bit of a state at the moment as Salamanca are on the brink of going out of business. But the sheer joy he experiences when they win is something that I will never truly feel (maybe if Ireland won the world cup), no matter how hard I try to convince myself otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I won't even go into detail about my reaction when Aguero scored that goal...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everyone turns into a weird person at a game. Shouting for handball that you know are not or at least had no view of either way, criticising an assistant for a 'doubtful' offside, mocking the ability of the league's best player..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I used to be a nightmare watching games and and after a loss, my bird made me realise this when she told me straight out and i copped on to how much of a clown i was being. I suppose it was a case of being immature too, early 20's and all that. It's good to be passionate but it's only a game and if it starts affecting your personal life you should have a look in the mirror and cop on.

Another thing which made me cop on to keeping my emotions in check was an incident a couple of years ago. I was over in Belgium visiting my bird who was on erasmus studying in Ghent. The merseyside derby was on and i went out on my own to watch it. The boozer was fairly packed but i had a nice seat at the bar and view of the game. Liverpool were 1-0 up iirc and Dirk Kuyt had scored a 2nd to put the game out of reach for Everton, when he scored i hopped of the stool to celebrate(forgetting i was on my own) slipped on the floor and produced the most theatric fall of my life right out on my ear. The whole pub erupted with laughter at me and rightly so.. i made a fcking tit of myself. Safe to say i swamped my drink and slipped out the door not long after that.

Moral of the story is, football can make us look like right clowns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement