Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

• 24-09-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I recently started a FAS course and all my rent allowance has been taken off me.. Can anyone tell me if I can even get some rent allowance payment even if its a reduced rate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i'm fairly sure starting a Fás course should have no impact on entitlement to rent allowance. I'd say call into your signing hatch and find out what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I agree with above it shouldn't have any effect on your RA after all its not as if your getting anymore money doing the fas course, go to your CWO not the social welfare as its the CWO that deals with your rent allowance and not the social welfare.

Maybe it happened as when your payment transferred over to FAS everything gets cancelled but do go to the CWO and see, as if it is the case that it gets cancelled then really what is the point in trying to improve yourself for the jobs market if you cant afford the roof over your head....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Liv1991

Thanks for the replies but I actually do recieve a FAS payment of €203 and a reduced one parent family payment of €195 so im in total of €398. I understand I am recieveing nearly €400 but Im hoping to recieve RAS by February as I will be recieving rent allowance a total of 18 months by February, but if I dont recieve rent allowance consequentively I will not be eligible for RAS. Anyone have any advice??

Don't wanna be missing out on that free house now!

Jaysus.

As for advice - perhaps aim for getting a job at some point.

Thats the whole point of doing a Fas Training Course at least i'm not sitting at home just chancing my arm and completely living off the state but yet someone else in my position living at home with their parents earns the same money as i would and i've to now pay 650a month for the house.

There was no need for the smart comment i was only looking for advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

OP, you are well in excess of the income guideline ffor Rent Allowance. But have a chat with your CWO. There are some schemes where you can retain secondary benefits.

Thanks for your advice Kristoherus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Don't wanna be missing out on that free house now!

Jaysus.

As for advice - perhaps aim for getting a job at some point.
    Constructive posts only please

Advertisement