Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short forest/river walks in Wicklow

Options
  • 24-09-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I was wondering does anybody have suggestions for short (1 hour) walks in wicklow? I am looking for walks that are similar in nature to Devils Glen/Knocksink Wood (near Enniskerry)/Masseys forest (opposite the Hell Fire Club) as opposed to ones that are more barren or exposed like around Sally Gap. If there are any good ones that aren't Glendalough or Avondale house I would love to hear about them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

There is some lovely walking beside the Avonmore river at Ballygannon woods.

See - http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=54&trail=82&no_cache=1

Or a circuit of Vartry lake - not a river walk but beauitful nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Clara Vale nature reserve. Glen of the Downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

dogmatix wrote: »
    There is some lovely walking beside the Avonmore river at Ballygannon woods.

See - http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=54&trail=82&no_cache=1

Or a circuit of Vartry lake - not a river walk but beauitful nonetheless.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Ballygannon Woods one looks exactly what im looking for. Do you happen to know is that the same walk as the Vale of Clara or are they just next to each other?

Very close to one another - opposite banks of the river I think. Ballygannon is a little further south and you can continue down into Rathrum village as part of the Jubilee loop walk.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »

Have used both these sites but they seem to list every walk. Sometimes when there all just listed like that its hard to know which ones are good. Thanks though.

Very close to one another - opposite banks of the river I think. Ballygannon is a little further south and you can continue down into Rathrum village as part of the Jubilee loop walk.

Cheers. Will defiantly try it out.

Ballygannon woods is at the southern end of the nature reserve, and the other side of the river.

From the bridge / church in Clara Vale, walk a short way back up the hill towards the Laragh - Rathdrum Road, and there's an entrance on the right.

Alun wrote: »
    Ballygannon woods is at the southern end of the nature reserve, and the other side of the river.

From the bridge / church in Clara Vale, walk a short way back up the hill towards the Laragh - Rathdrum Road, and there's an entrance on the right.

Brilliant thanks for the help :D Between Ballygannon Wood and Clara Vale which is more dirt paths compared to tarmac paths or are they both similar? Which do you prefer?

Ballygannon - the river section at least - is more of a light trail/track then Clara, which is more "user friendly" (i.e. gravel road). So Boots more useful on Ballygannon then clara.

I prefer Ballygannon for the river section, it is definitely more attractive - but Clara is best for the overall woodland walk / autumnal colours experience.

• Advertisement

Yeah think I will try Ballygannon first then anyway. I like when the woods aren't wreaked by big tarmac paths!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Yeah think I will try Ballygannon first then anyway. I like when the woods aren't wreaked by big tarmac paths!!!
    There's no tarmac paths in the nature reserve, don't worry :) Just gravel / dirt tracks.

Another great river and woodland walk is the Tinahely railway walk + Tomnafinnoge woods. They can be done together or seperatly (there are good car parks at both locations). The railway walk runs alongside a large stream for a lot of its length (the Derry river?) before joining the Tomnafinnoge wood car park. Tomnafinnoge is beautiful oak wood with the main trail running alongside a good sized river. I’d rate Tomnafinnoge slightly ahead of Clara but just behind Ballygannon. The above ratings are just for the river sections of the trails.

But it’s a bit of a trek down from Dublin if that is where you are coming from – car journey times can range from 1h 15m (Clondalkin to Tinahely via the N81) to 1h 30 (N11 and then via Glenealy/Rathrum/Avoca or Arklow/Woodenbridge/Augrhim).

Another great river and woodland walk is the Tinahely railway walk + Tomnafinnoge woods. They can be done together or seperatly (there are good car parks at both locations). The railway walk runs alongside a large stream for a lot of its length (the Derry river?) before joining the Tomnafinnoge wood car park. Tomnafinnoge is beautiful oak wood with the main trail running alongside a good sized river. I’d rate Tomnafinnoge slightly ahead of Clara but just behind Ballygannon. The above ratings are just for the river sections of the trails.

But it’s a bit of a trek down from Dublin if that is where you are coming from – car journey times can range from 1h 15m (Clondalkin to Tinahely via the N81) to 1h 30 (N11 and then via Glenealy/Rathrum/Avoca or Arklow/Woodenbridge/Augrhim).

Looked that up there and it looks lovely. Really appreciate the directions and everything. Have walked all the Dublin mountain/coilte walks so now am looking for ones in Wicklow. Prefer the quieter more remote ones that have trails as opposed to paths. All I need now is for it to stop raining :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

how long is the combined walk ?

Estimated times -
    1. 2.5-3 miles for railway walk only.
    2. 2.5+ miles for woods only.
    3. 6+ miles estimated for both combined.

Both walks are more of a out and back walk rather then a loop walk if you stick to the river only, The Woods walk only can be made a loop if you head out along the river and return by heading uphill through the woods.

Advertisement