Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Courses

Options
  • 24-09-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I have a Degree in Software Engineering. Nearly all my degree was done in Java. I finished in 2006 and worked in Java (only Java 1.4/1.5) for a year and a half before moving into C++ which ive been doing since. I also have a Masters so im not exactly starting from scratch here.

Im looking to try to get back into Java but Ive not used Java 5/6 and ive also never used things like Spring or Hibernate or Tomcat or them. I only used core java in my job.

So what im looking for is kind of a refresher course that will briefly go over the basics, teach me about Java 5/6 and if possible go into Spring/Hibernate/ or some of them.

So does anyone know anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Teach yourself?

There are plenty of great resources for learning Java, JEE and specific frameworks around the web.

I like http://www.youtube.com/user/koushks but also use the oracle docs/books and any other resources you can find. All the tools are free as is the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 discodowney

I had thought of it. But i know myself. If i dont have a deadline ill just fart about and get nowhere. If i have a hard deadline for getting stuff done ill work my balls off to make it. Its a stupid waay to be i know, but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I had thought of it. But i know myself. If i dont have a deadline ill just fart about and get nowhere. If i have a hard deadline for getting stuff done ill work my balls off to make it. Its a stupid waay to be i know, but it is what it is.

Well there is places like udacity and coursera but the closest to java they use is the new scala course (but that seems to be more about functional programming)

You can set yourself structured goals while learning from a mish-mash of sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Why not just make a couple of portfolio sites/projects using Spring?

If you've a year & a half Java, plus 5 years C++ experience, plus a CS degree & a masters, surely you'll walk into a job? If you talk a tiny amount of time showing you can write competent code in the framework — Shouldn't be hard for you to pick up.

Advertisement