Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completed Undergrad, want to do a different undergrad

Options
  • 24-09-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I've completed an Undergrad course in Arts just over 5 years ago (oh my god time has flown!). I have since become really interested in nursing in particular midwifery.. But since I've already gotten my free fee's and grant these are not an option for me this time. Which i totally understand.

I'm just wondering has anyone else been in the same boat? From what I can see, there are no deferred payment loans which i could take and pay back after I'm qualified. I have some savings but not enough to see me through four years of college. What have you done? Have you given up the dream, have you found ways around this? I'm really interested to know.. Also, any suggestions people may have. I'm currently working in telemarketing/admin and hate it..

Thanks for any replies..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You might want to look into this further, but off the top of my head, I think the free fees scheme becomes available to you again after 5 years (I don't recall any stipulation about whether you dropped out or finished your degree first time around) however in terms of grants and BTEA allowance, again off the top of my head, I think you are only entitled to these if you are attempting a qualification at a higher level than previously obtained on the national framework.

Have a look at studentfinance.ie to double check those facts and email them with your queries, but you might be entitled to "free fees".

Other than that, perhaps there might be a shorter post-grad option you could take over 1 or 2 years which would help you move into the area you want?

Only other alternative I could suggest would be to do your course part-time and work as you go along to pay for it.

Sounds daunting, but I've done diplomas at night and know a few people who've done their undergrad degrees at night and did very well. It's a big commitment to take on though. (but so is giving up a wage to be a poor student - I've done them both, and neither is easier than the other)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Hey Jackass (not an insult just saying hello :))I checked studentfinance.ie and there is a stipulation I'm afraid, as long as you have a level 8 degree you aren't eligible for free fees.

The 5 year rule only applies if you say, completed two years and dropped out, but were seeking to return after 5 years as a second chance student they call it.

It sucks because I'm in the same boat as hairycakes, I've only received my calling after a year or so after university.

@hairycakes what I'd say is to just save save save for the moment.If you can stick out your job for the next year it'll also give you some extra time to plan everything you need to do to get into your course and even research some of the study material and what the course entails.

You could also look into doing some voluntary work to support your application (assuming you're going the mature route) into nursing.

I know that hanging around working in a job you don't like is undesirable but if this is something that will fulfill you career wise for the rest of your life then continuing on with work now can't be that bad can it?

Also you don't want to graduate in another 4 (?) years with massive debt over your head so save as much as you can for those terrifying fees!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

PingO_O is right. Under both the Dept of Ed 2nd chance rule and the tuition support available through SUSI you need to have no pre-existing qualification and be out of college for at least 5 years before returning.

The best option seems to be to keep working and save as much as you can.

Alternatively you could look into studying in the UK? The NHS has bursaries for Irish students to cover fees only but I don't know if they would apply to someone with an existing qualification. You also may unlikely to be eligible for the maintenance support there.
    More info on the bursary scheme here: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/816.aspx

Thanks for that link paperclip2 I've just had a glance over the website and there's a "Am I eligible for a NHS Bursary?" pdf loaded with info so I'll have to read it very carefully and do some more research but in the second paragraph it says

"If your course leads to a professional registration in one of these professions
    you may be eligible for an NHS Bursary, even if you have already had public
    funding for higher education"

Not sure how it works for an Irish national not living in the UK but I'll read through it as the UK would be an option for me anyway.

@hairycakes I just re-read your OP and I've thought about giving up the dream plenty of times purely because of the financial difficulty it would involve but I keep thinking there has to be a way you know? So if you feel that pulled toward nursing then don't give up for anything, not even money! Even if it takes another few years to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Thanks for the replies everyone!! I had looking into the second chance option alright Jackass but came up with the same result of not being qualified :mad:
    Good to know I'm not the only one in this situation PingO O.. It is tough but this is definately the route I want to take so save, save, save is the option for me it looks like. I find it crazy that there isn't more help for people in the same boat.. not even grants wise but some 'pay when you graduate' scheme. I'm not looking for a free trip back to college, just a way to facilitate me going back. Even a loan that would allow me to pay back the interest while in college and the rest at the end..
    Sticking with the job won't be too bad knowing I'm working towards something I'll enjoy. I've sent out letters to a few hospitals/nursing homes about voluntary care assistant work to help the application.
    Thanks paperclip2 for the link!

• Advertisement

Absolutely. There's plenty of people in the same situation as yourself and I. From reading the threads on this forum, there are many who did go back and are getting on just fine (I hope).

I read somewhere here, sorry I can't remember which thread, about someone who managed to get through medicine as a mature student by saving up for the first three years and taking out a loan from their credit union for the last two. Also don't forget that you can claim tax back on your fees,that info is available on www.revenue.ie I think so it would be worth having a look if you haven't already as it differs depending on the type of course you do etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shive25

Hi, I was in the same boat - I have an Arts degree which I completed in 2008 and wanted to go back and study Physiotherapy. I started Physio this week in RCSI and am delighted so it is possible - don't give up hope. You aren't eligible for free fees, I have to pay full fees and also because you already have a level 8 degree and are completing another level 8 degree you aren't eligible for any type of grant etc (very annoying!!!!).
    Getting a loan was almost impossible - no bank would give me a loan and in fact kind of looked at me like I was crazy. The best response I had was from Ulster Bank and you need to have an account with them already - just something to bear in mind.
    I ended up getting a loan from the Credit Union (when I say me, my parents had to take out the loan in their name). But the Credit Union was extremely helpful etc so my advice would be to talk to them just to see what your options are.
    Once you know where you stand at least you can begin to figure out a plan.
    You do get tax back on your fees, not on the full amount but its still something - am in the process of claiming that at the moment!

Also perhaps the option of studying in another country in particular England as although you will still have to pay fees they have a really good loan scheme in place so just another option to look in to.

Good luck with any future studies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

hi there :) i am in the same boat as you. i graduated in 07 in n.ireland and decided to come to the south and study id nursing. now here is the thing i was terrified of having to pay the fees and the college i attend told me in no uncertain terms that I DO NOT have to pay tuition fees. sure i have to pay the registration fee but thats it every year.
    i have no idea why i dont have to pay them but when i was inquiring about them the lady in the fees office in college asked me when i graduated and what my degree was in. she then very quickly replied that all i needed to pay was the registration fee. asked was she 100% sure and she replied yes. too afraid to ask if she has made a mistake in this decision because every single piece of info i have read on here tells me i should be paying the tuition fees.
    by the way my previous degree is a level 8 hons degree, 3rd class honors dont know if this had something to do with it

Wow oc are you sure? What do you mean when you say id nursing excuse my ignorance if it's something obvious.

Is the course you're applying to now a level 8 undergrad as well?

Any government website will tell you that you're not eligible once you've already completed a level 8 undergrad but I've no idea what exceptions may be (if any) for your case.

I'd say that's brilliant for you and I'd be delighted but I'd look into it some more in case you commit to this course and have your life planned for the next few years and then all of a sudden they tell you a mistake was made and you do have to pay!

I'm not trying to scare you but be 100% sure, and let us know! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

__oc__ wrote: »
    i was terrified of having to pay the fees and the college i attend told me in no uncertain terms that I DO NOT have to pay tuition fees.

I'm in the same boat. I got my Giro and I was only charged the registration fee.
    Not gonna open my mouth to them about it just in case it's an error:D

OP have you thought of looking at any part time or online courses which might give you advanced entry into an undergrad.

Might be useful as you won't be out of a job for as long and you get a taster of the course before you have to commit yourself fully.

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat. I got my Giro and I was only charged the registration fee.
    Not gonna open my mouth to them about it just in case it's an error:D

OP have you thought of looking at any part time or online courses which might give you advanced entry into an undergrad.

Might be useful as you won't be out of a job for as long and you get a taster of the course before you have to commit yourself fully.

WHAT!? :eek: Do you mind filling us in on what you did and what you're doing now course-wise, because if you went from level 7 to level 8 then that's normal, but are you saying you repeated a level 8 course and didn't have to pay fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

PingO_O wrote: »
    Wow oc are you sure? What do you mean when you say id nursing excuse my ignorance if it's something obvious.

hey its intellectual disability nursing and yes its a level 8 degree i have no idea why they arent charging me the tuition fees as i did ask twice before i actually enrolled and the fees office said no and that i didnt have to pay. massive relief as i dont qualify for any other help and struggle to get enough hours in work to cover my petrol in the week :rolleyes:
    the only thing i could think of is that the degree wasnt obtained in ireland as such. however i really dont think thats the case but its all i can come up with at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

PingO_O wrote: »
    WHAT!? :eek: Do you mind filling us in on what you did and what you're doing now course-wise, because if you went from level 7 to level 8 then that's normal, but are you saying you repeated a level 8 course and didn't have to pay fees?

Finished one level 8, now Im doing another :D

I applied for the grant and told the college this, but I didn't get it in the end. So far the college hasn't even asked me to pay fees yet.

I know it'll be coming soon, but it's given me time to save a bit more money so I'm in a better position to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've nothing constructive to add to the discussion, but would love to nominate 'It sucks because I'm in the same boat as hairycakes' as sentence of the day.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 réaltóg

In the same boat guys. Going to try out the North and see if I can get in there as I've only finished paying off my first trip to college which I graduated from in '08. Haven't been in touch with anyone up there since but asked them if I'd be eligible for anything having a RoI degree and received the following in an email from someone in Student Support in University of Ulster last January:

The fees for nursing course are covered by the Dept of Health regardless of having a degree already. The bursary is received monthly and the standard at the moment is £6055 for the year. There is a means tested element for anyone with children.

Worth a shot anyway! :D

Advertisement