Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colt 1911 .22

Options
  • 24-09-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting a cheapish .22 pistol to use for cheap practice and try not to develop a flinch while shooting my cf pistol.

I am interested in the colt 1911 .22 pistol as it is not very expensive, others I have considered were sig mosquito and walther p22 but I heard bad things about these.

Just wondering if anyone has a colt .22 1911 and how they get on with it.
    This is not the gsg version which is more expensive but probably better for that reason. I hear the trigger pull is fairly heavy on the colt???? but have not spoken to anyone who actually has one and shoots it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I'm having a lot of trouble at the moment with the Garda with licence issues I've a thread down further SIG/GSG 1911 , it's seems the 1911 frame regardless of maker is to police/military looking and is being restricted for its looks alone.
    I suggest you ring the FPU on this and see if the colt is in the same boat.

Cani ask on your thread that Colt1911 users post that they have one?
    I know that there are more than 10 GSG1911 out there but where I'm not sure.
    How many Colt1911 are out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kildarejoe

My local super seems very fair.
    I haven't had any bother with my other guns, my renewals for this year are back already.
    Which included a cf pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

kildarejoe wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting a cheapish .22 pistol to use for cheap practice and try not to develop a flinch while shooting my cf pistol.

I am interested in the colt 1911 .22 pistol as it is not very expensive, others I have considered were sig mosquito and walther p22 but I heard bad things about these.

Just wondering if anyone has a colt .22 1911 and how they get on with it.
    This is not the gsg version which is more expensive but probably better for that reason. I hear the trigger pull is fairly heavy on the colt???? but have not spoken to anyone who actually has one and shoots it.

Cheers.

If its for the reasons you have set out then get the colt 1911 and don't fork out the extra for the GSG.

I had the colt model and it was a fine gun for what it was designed for. You won't be winning competitions with it but I don't think anyone buying it is under that illusion.

The trigger is not that bad on them. I disassembled mine and did a little trigger job on it and it was far better then. Just polishing things up inside made a big difference, you don't want to get heavy with it and change angles on the sear.

The only reason I got rid of mine was that the pistol shooting disciplines available here were not my cup of tea and not what I'm used to.

My opinion: stay away from the mosquito and the p22. Absolute muck!

Colt 1911=Good gun for the money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kildarejoe

I know some lads that had p22's and sigs when they first came out and soon changed them for buckmarks and rugers because not only were they scatterguns but were very frustrating to use with jams, misfires etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hardly surprising as they are made by UMAREX.A company that makes all sorts of "guns" from blank firers to airsoft and low power cartridge arms.[IE.22] Apprently, the slides and bushings,and non pressure parts were or could be interchangeable with their blank firers and airsoft models. :rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzDWHOV3Lx8

Decent redneck review of the Umarex Colt. Other one to look at is Chiappa, in addition to the others, may be cheaper, may shoot ok most of the time but you get what you pay for. More and more choices available on the market.

Another one to consider if available, the Browning version if you can find it. Probably pricey, seems like a nice little gun. 85% size reduction of 1911.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg71Hdcdyvg

Some of these, like the Chiappa, cannot be dry fired without damage to chamber face. I think you can dry fire the Umarex, but needs to be checked out in advance of purchase. For a 1911 guy like me who is used to dry firing thats not good. So I just shoot a Ruger Mk II and am very pleased, and can dry fire all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Hi. I purchased a colt 1911 gold cup about 3 months ago and find that it has a very heavy trigger pull and it is not very accurate compared to the Beretta 87. I didn't have any difficulty getting a license. It helps if you are a member of a gun club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

BillBen wrote: »
    Hi. I purchased a colt 1911 gold cup about 3 months ago and find that it has a very heavy trigger pull and it is not very accurate compared to the Beretta 87. I didn't have any difficulty getting a license. It helps if you are a member of a gun club.

You have to be a member of a range...you can't get one any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Blay wrote: »
    You have to be a member of a range...you can't get one any other way.

Not quite strictly true.

Has anyone seen the browning version of the 1911 in .22lr ? Its scaled down to a smaller size though.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=028B&catalog_=B

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A 1911 Gold cup in .22lr????????????

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A 1911 Gold cup in .22lr????????????

Here, it's down near the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

rowa wrote: »
    Not quite strictly true.

how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Yes a .22 Colt 1911 Gold cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Yes a .22 Colt 1911 Gold cup.

Its the Umarex licensed version of a "Gold Cup". When shopping some years back, I picked the Kimber Target II over the real Colt Gold Cup for several reasons. However for some the Gold Cup is still their cup of tea and understandably so. If I was in the market for a .22 target 1911, this Kimber (or the conversion kit) would would get a hard look.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/rimfire

Advertisement