Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poisoned cats in Cabra Park

• 24-09-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi there. Three days ago i found under my door notice from S.P.C.A info that in my area cats have been poisoned. I live here (Cabra Park in Dublin) over one month and at the moment I'm completely terrified because I have outdoor cat. Completely have no idea what to do. Does anyone can tell me something about this situation? maybe similar problems??? Any advice? It's very difficult keep him all the time at home, because he is taught to go out and when he can't go out he meows very loudly until he get what he wants:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

poisoned from eating mice/rats that have been eating rodenticide baits?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sandra0701

tin79 wrote: »
    poisoned from eating mice/rats that have been eating rodenticide baits?
    Tin I have no idea:(((but probably is worse..by people who hate cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do apart from keeping the cat indoor.
    You can't teach the cat to avoid the poisonous baits, all you can do is not allowing the cat out. I know that they can drive you mad with their meows, but after some time they give it up and get used to a new lifestyle.

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do apart from keeping the cat indoor.
    You can't teach the cat to avoid the poisonous baits, all you can do is not allowing the cat out. I know that they can drive you mad with their meows, but after some time they give it up and get used to a new lifestyle.

Really Irish Stones? this is new hope for me, that he will used to get to being indoor...did you try to do change your cat to it?

sandra0701 wrote: »
    Really Irish Stones? this is new hope for me, that he will used to get to being indoor...did you try to do change your cat to it?

I write from experience.
    I have two cats, they lived outdoor and indoor for almost two years, but after three quite bad accidents (one with a dog and two with cars) I decided to keep them inside all the time.
    At the beginning of this change it was a nightmare. They stood at the door and drove me crazy with their meows. Day by day they were less and less convinced they could obtain something and after, maybe one or two months, they knew that their life would have been indoor.
    Now, after 10 years, they are still here with me and they don't even remember that there's an outdoor world.
    The few times they sneak outside a door they freeze for fear and run inside in a matter of seconds ;)
    Good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, I love my cat more than anything else in the world and it would be the end of my world if something happen to him...can't believe that people are without feelings and are cruel to murder pets:(

You are very welcome!
    I hope you succeed in this task. You'll need patience and good nerves ;)

I also love my cats more than myself, I couldn't live anymore if they were harmed or injured, I always did anything for them and I will do my best for all their life.

Kiss your cat for me :)

Thank you Irish Stones:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Look up posts on this forum by the poster The Sweeper. She is very experienced in helping cats adjust to being indoor only and has written some very informative posts about how to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

There is a lot of cat love in this thread. It makes me quite happy to see the devotion we give our pets.

I think it will be difficult Sandra, at first your cat will cry constantly. Although it may feel cruel and you will certainly feel guilty, you must remain focussed and remind yourself that you are doing this in the best interests of your cat, even if at first your cat doesnt understand.

The next month or so will probably be more challenging for you than your cat as you struggle with the temptation to let him/her out.

Have you considered teaching your cat to walk on a lead? I have two bengals and they are also indoor cats, never having been allowed out on their own. I do however have cat harnesses for them and I take them for walks. Obviously you have to be careful around other pets and traffic as it may run up you scratching as it does. Fortunately for me, my cats dont fear dogs at all, and dont even care if a dog starts barking and running towards them. My male cat just looks puzzled at all the commotion from the dogs and tries to go towards them to investigate. Ive found most dogs get freaked out when the cat obviously isnt showing fear, and the dogs normally turn away and bark. If course Im ready for the dog and it would have no chance of getting past me to the cat, if I think the dog is dangerous, I will always pick the cat up.

I wish you well in your new adventure.

• Advertisement

hello CRM Ireland, thanks for your post. Yes I think about the lead, but I remember when I tried it few years ago, he didn't want to wear it. He lied down on the ground and that's it:)He doesn't afraid of dogs, he hates dogs and this is a problem.I'll try do my best in this case, because, probably it's funny for many people but my cat is like a kid for me, my best friend:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

<snip>

Further to our previous communications, Nachocheese, please do not post in such an offensive way to the users of this forum.
    DBB

<snip>.

I was thinking about this as well but I was looking very long time for flat, it was very, extremely difficult to find something cheap, when rent allowance is accepted, and what would look like a place to live...I put my money in this flat...God this situation is terrible for me:(and probably I wouldn't get my deposit back if I moved out after one month...And another thing cheap flats are in worse areas...I can't have certainty that next one in similar area will be ok...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi Sandra,
    Please don't get upset by what you have read in this thread. Remember that almost all other posters were positive and informative. You are clearly very dedicated to your cat, and won't let anything bad happen.
    Don't let one negative comment get you down!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

sandra0701 wrote: »
    hello CRM Ireland, thanks for your post. Yes I think about the lead, but I remember when I tried it few years ago, he didn't want to wear it. He lied down on the ground and that's it:)He doesn't afraid of dogs, he hates dogs and this is a problem.I'll try do my best in this case, because, probably it's funny for many people but my cat is like a kid for me, my best friend:)

hahaha I can just imagine your cat looking at you, wondering why it this strange lead attached to it. Your cat will most likely just need to learn to get used to the harness. Make sure it is a harness and not a lead attached to a typical cat collar. It could easily choke itself, or even manage to slip out of the collar.

Put the collar on the cat and just let the cat get used to it. Dont try and force it to walk, dragging it along, it will just resist. After a few minutes left to its own devices, the cat will start wandering with the harness attached and will become used to the feeling of it on its fur. Eventually you can work up to trying to walk with it. Id imagine if your cat is desperate to get out, it wont stay laying on the floor too long if you have it on the harness and show it an open door. You will probably have to hold it back!

Hi Sandra, my cats live indoor, but once or twice a week I take them aout on a lead and harness.
    At first they were a little worried and scared by this thing, but after some weeks they were completely trained and now I just need to show them the lead to have them ready at the door waiting for the harness to be secured in them, and they love to be out like this.
    I have bought this
    http://www.trixie.de/en/mk/Search,23?showDetail=13183&search=4188
    some years ago, the colour was slightly different and the quick locks were a little more user-friendly. I also removed the original lead that was too short and attached on of this retractable leads
    http://www.trixie.de/en/prod/Dog_flexi_CLASSIC_BASIC,11974
    that is 5 metres long, so I can walk them in a safe area and don't have to walk at their same pace or stay too close to them. If I keep a certain distance they can feel as they were almost free ;)

Advertisement