Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology v Agricultural Science

• 24-09-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on subject choice. My son has just started 5th year and is doing biology. He's now on about changing from biology to agricultural science and said it still counts as a science subject when applying for college/university and that it's easier and less work.

I know my son is lazy and will try for the easiest option if allowed.

Opinions would be very welcome before I contact the school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

It does count as a science subject for college entry. If he's not from a farm or have some agricultural background, he won't find this subject easy at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

deisemum wrote: »
    I'm looking for advice on subject choice. My son has just started 5th year and is doing biology. He's now on about changing from biology to agricultural science and said it still counts as a science subject when applying for college/university and that it's easier and less work.

I know my son is lazy and will try for the easiest option if allowed.

Opinions would be very welcome before I contact the school.

Have a read through this thread and it should give you an idea of the content of the ag science course.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58687286

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thanks for replies, plenty to read up on.

We live in a city in the suburbs but I grew up on a dairy farm the other side of the country and went to a rural home economics college but that was 30 years ago. He wouldn't have a clue about farming.

I'm not impressed that his biology teacher decided to make Ag. Science an attractive option and wouldn't be surprised if she's just trying to reduce the numbers in her class. The time to have said it was during TY when they were deciding on subject choices.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

He should do Biology and Agricultural science. It's unreal!

I took Ag science up in 2010/2011 under a year, joined class late. Didn't have a clue and got a HL C3. Going for B1-A1 this year. Project is 25%. 75% written. Alot of crossover with Biology. And if he has Geography too...he'll be sorted!
    I really enjoyed Ag science and Biology because of the crossover, the topics are covered twice over between both teachers!
    I recommend it 100% :)

He should keep Biology on because he needs a grasp on it as Biology is in Ag science. Both subjects would benefit him!!!

If I didnt have Biology, would of been screwed tbh

Advertisement