Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed?

• 24-09-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

''However due to the distance from the exchange (in terms of how the telephone lines are laid) is "up to 1MB".

I checked a few neighbouring lines who have eircom broadband from the same exchange and they are getting between 600 - 700kbps.''

What do you think of this broadband speed as I am a Novice about broadband speeds?

I live outside a town.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

to be expected at 4 miles out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

600 - 700kbps

What can I expect to do with that speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Awful! To be expected but awful. You would be better off (faster and much cheaper) with a dongle from Meteor or one of the other telecom companies, assuming you have good mobile phone signal in your area.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Awful! To be expected but awful. You would be better off (faster and much cheaper) with a dongle from Meteor or one of the other telecom companies, assuming you have good mobile phone signal in your area.

Agree, didn't think it would be that bad:mad:.

What other broadband companies could I use?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

local wireless company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is not worth paying for.
    Try Digiweb/imagine or your local wireless provider ,if that fails then try an o2 or meteor dongle. Try to avoid satellite.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Jesus Christ does that count for broadband these days? :eek:
    Mobile providers tend to be well faster than broadband in eircom areas like that so as the others suggested, you're better off looking into mobile providers. How good is your mobile phone signal?

My phone signal is okey/decent Nimrod 7.

Any of you's have any experience with using Dongles or USB Broadband modem sticks that you put in a laptop or other devices from mobile companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭djh2009

My phone signal is okey/decent Nimrod 7.

Any of you's have any experience with using Dongles or USB Broadband modem sticks that you put in a laptop or other devices from mobile companies?

I use a Vodafone dongle in the Swords area, get around 6 to 7 mb speed. € 20 per month for 5 gb of traffic. Very rarely have any bother with it

Advertisement