Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One big kennel or two separate?

• 24-09-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I'm having a kennel made in the next week or so for 2 8 month old gsd pups and I'm not sure should I get one big kennel or two separate kennels for them?
    I've been thinking that one big kennel for both of them would work out better as they'd keep eachother warm in cold nights?
    I can't really think of any cons to one kennel but that's what brought me here so I could find out other peoples opinions.
    So what do you guys think would be best option?

Another question, I've read that kennel size is very important and that the amount of room available to the dog mustn't be too big or too small over heat loss etc.
    So how do I judge how big the kennel(s) must be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

We have one very big kennel and another normal sized one to fit one dog. The size we made our smaller one was basically enough room for the full grown dog to stand turn and lie down flat out. The big kennel was great for them.....when they would share! but on the occasion that one of them was not happy to get in with the other to have the second kennel was great.

I suppose from a materials perspective you could make a big one to do them both with the option of putting a partition in it if they are not happy to share?

we also put a veranda on the front of ours to stop the rain going in.
    I should add that our dogs rarely if ever stayed out over night in the kennels so from an insulation perspective I could not be sure. I think if it is very cold people use heat lamps etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mine used to share but now they prefer their own kennels although in the same run, but that night we had the thunder and lightening (which normally doesn't bother them but aparently it was loud..himself is up at the crack of dawn) they shared a kennel so it's nice that they'll still will cuddle up but they actually in general prefer their own space I guess it depends on their mood sometimes I'll catch them sharing I think maybe it's best to give them the option of sharing if they want.

Advertisement