Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filter Dosage

• 24-09-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

I'm curious as to what dosages of freshly ground coffee you all use for your filter brews. A friend recently bought some relatively expensive coffee and the guide he was given was to dose at 26g for an 8oz cup of filter. Now thats the equivalent of 55g per 500ml. The general rule of thumb that I have followed is 500ml = 30g coffee - so the dosages he was advised seem to use 90% more coffee. Now I do dose up/down on occasion - but the advice above seems a bit extreme to me when playing with an already expensive coffee.

So my questions are:
    Would any of you dose as high as 55g per 500ml of filter?
    If so do you dose higher on particular varietals of coffee?
    Would you dose higher depending on the processing method of the coffee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I normally brew 60g/l and +/-5 to 10g based on how it tastes after the first 60g/l.
    55g/500ml seems just a tad excessive, but I suppose it gets you back buying more coffee sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Give the folks in 3fe on twitter a shout! At the mo on an aeropress I'm going with 14g of coffee with 220 grams of water. It's a very find grind and I give it 20 seconds pouring the water, 20 seconds agitation and 20 seconds plunging. Nice strength and no gungey crap.

Advertisement