Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athy, Galway and Beyond!

• 24-09-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just entered to the Athy Triathlon Olympic, 1 June 2013. Main problem as we stand today, can't swim more then 5 metres with out stopping to take breathe and don't own a bike. Apart from that should be fine.

Swim lessons started last week, so i feel i needed a goal to aim for. If i didn't enter it would be very easy to give up and and not see it through. The Athy Triathlon is that carrot, with the hope to following it on with a Half Ironman later in the year.

Would be reasonably fit, have done two marathons and i am training for the DCM again this year. Going well, and should break 3.30 hrs. Nothing amazing, but would please me.

Apart from swimming lessons and practise a couple of times a week, it will be all running till after the marathon.

Adventure starts here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Claude Harmon

Had my second swim lesson the Monday evening. Still working with the kick board. After i lose the momentum from the initial push of the wall, i stop moving. I'm kick frantically, but i'm just sinking!!

The coach just says when you feel the legs sinking, just lift them up - how do you do that????

Very frustrating. I know its all technique, but the harder i kick the quicker i sink. The furthest i have swam with the board is about 20metres, before i have to stand up to take a breathe. 1500metres seems a long way now!!

I'll hit the pool tomorrow before work for pratcise and hopefully it will improve.

On the plus side i ordered Triathlon Training Bible by Thiel from Amazon. It failed to come initially, so they sent me another copy, which also failed to come. I complained again and asked a refund. Which they did, with no complaints, and then the books arrived the next day. Free books - happy days!. Also go Chric McCormack Autobiography.

Total cost of Triathlon Career;

Swim Lessons 110
    Books (30)
    Total 80

Running still going well. Did 16 miles on Sunday, and 5 mile recovery run on Monday morning. Was in London yesterday, so have a good bit of running to do this week, aswell as practising my sinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

On the plus side i ordered Triathlon Training Bible by Thiel from Amazon. It failed to come initially, so they sent me another copy, which also failed to come. I complained again and asked a refund. Which they did, with no complaints, and then the books arrived the next day. Free books - happy days!.

Ha lucky you!!

With regards the swimming, I was in a very similar position to you not so long ago. My kick was so bad I was told my legs were acting as an antipropellant! I really focused on trying to keep them as high in the water as possible and kicking from the hip not the knee. I also try to keep my body almost pushing down into the water which raises my hips. Works for me anyway.

Best of luck with it all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I agree with Solobally8 - try and keep the hips high in the water and also kick from the hips, not from the knees. By slightly pushing down on your upper body you can slightly raise your lower body (to help elevate your hips). Also remember to point your toes when you kick....AND RELAX!! Kicking faster does not equal faster kicking.....and the strongest kick will be primarily underwater. I'd suggest you slow it down, relax, point toes, and kick from hips. Practice, practice, practice...and you will be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Claude Harmon

Went back to the pool on Thursday morning for practise, but still no real improvement. I'm obviously a real sinker! I find it very hard to keep the legs up a water level. Suppose I just need to keep working on it. Embarassing, as everyone at the pool at 7am in the morning seems pretty efficent. I might have to go when the OAPs have their hour.

Has any every done the back stroke for a Tri and would it take much longer? I am fine at the back stroke.

Running going well - knocked out 9 miles, 6 miles and 12miles over last three days. All done at different paces, with sprints VO2 max sessions. Have a 14 miler at RP on Sunday. My youngest girl's 1st birthday on Saturday, so will have to stay off cake and crisps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

No need to be embarrassed about sinking - when I was trying to work with my hubby on swimming, he would actually move backwards when he'd kick with the kickboard. :eek:

A couple of ideas for you - 1) get back with your swim coach for a little one-on-one...2) practice swimming with a pull buoy to get used to how it feels to be higher in the water since the pull buoy will elevate you (I know, this does not practice your kick, but it will get you used to proper body position)....3) get a pair of flippers and practice kicking/swimming with them. Good luck!!! Keep at it!!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement