Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bertie has to wait for Lord Mayor's job!

• 24-09-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Who is circulating these fantasies? Fancy letting him loose with the 'petty cash' key!

Bertie's mayor hopes dashed by cutbacks

By Michael Lavery
    Monday September 24 2012

ANY hopes Bertie Ahern may have held of becoming Dublin's directly elected Lord Mayor will have to wait until 2019.

Environment Minister Phil Hogan has shelved the plan -- first mooted by the Fianna Fail-Green coalition on cost grounds.

And the move could push some of the big names linked to the job out of the race on age grounds.

Mr Ahern will be 68 by the time the idea gets the go-ahead, as will MEP Gay Mitchell, who has also been mentioned as a possible mayor.

The elected mayor had been expected to be given powers straddling Dublin's four local authorities.

Hints

Former Environment Minister John Gormley announced the plan for an elected mayor in 2009 and Mr Ahern had given strong hints he would be interested if the mayor was given real powers.

"I think it would be a fascinating job for an experienced politician who would understand local government and understand local politics," he told guests at one book launch shortly after the announcement.

"And not mentioning myself, but I think it would be an excellent job."

Mr Ahern also said he would be against "celebrity" candidates and a directly elected mayor should be someone who has a proven record in politics.

It had been expected that the newly elected mayor would have a salary equivalent to that of a Government Minister, which was cut to €169,000 by the Government in March, 2011.

An internal report on local government reform has concluded that "a directly elected mayor for Dublin cannot simply be bolted as an additional layer of governance on top of the existing local government in Dublin".

For such an office to be meaningful, it would require a change in the current structures and the office would need to be given more far-reaching powers, functions and budget, the study concluded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheFruitarian

The only Lord Mayors job he'll get is as a lounge boy out in Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I saw Bertie the other day in drumcondra driving a 08 avensis.

he can't drive for ****.

he was coming out of a car park and had a woman tell him how close he was to the wall etc.

he was right in front of me turning onto the main road and I held a nice evil stare at him and he had the head down low and his face was as red as a tomato !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He should try for the Lord Mayor of Lagos job, as I understand he's quite popular there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

he can't drive for ****.

he was coming out of a car park and had a woman tell him how close he was to the wall etc.

he was right in front of me turning onto the main road and I held a nice evil stare at him and he had the head down low and his face was as red as a tomato !

Think he only passed his test recent enough, I mean he hardly had need for a car when he was chaffeur driven everywhere for yonks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I would love it if he ran for Office again. He is so delusional he probably thinks he would be elected by acclaim. he might finally realise how much people hate him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

vicwatson wrote: »

he can't drive for ****.

Think he only passed his test recent enough, I mean he hardly had need for a car when he was chaffeur driven everywhere for yonks !

sorry it was a mondeo no avensis !

he may have lost his driver but there are still gardai sitting outside his house !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Hopefully he'll die soon and he won't get to see 2019.

But then bad pr1cks like that will go on and live forever tormenting everyone.

Remember everyone, we're up sh1ts creek because of Berties economy policies. And FG are banging the nails in the coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

a directly elected mayor should be someone who has a proven record in politics.

So he's just ruled himself out then. Or else he plans to run against the only politicial with a worse record - Brian Cowan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I would love if he did run for Mayor.

Be some wake up call for the deluded cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Hopefully he'll die soon and he won't get to see 2019.
    Nasty piece of work (both you and him).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

sorry it was a mondeo no avensis !

he may have lost his driver but there are still gardai sitting outside his house !
    That's because he really does need protection these days. I'd have a few choice words for him if I saw him. As for the Mayor job. I suppose some fools might vote for him. But I doubt he could appear at a meeting without someone throwing rotten eggs and tomatos at him!

dvpower wrote: »
    Nasty piece of work (both you and him).

Bertie himself posting as dvpower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bertie himself posting as dvpower.

I thought he had 2 secretaries to do his posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

vicwatson wrote: »

Saw him giving an interview once about the cost of motoring being so dear in this country and the entitled prick had to admit he hadnt even owned a car since 1988!

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I thought he had 2 secretaries to do his posting.

One of Bertie's cock suckers so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

. Remember everyone, we're up sh1ts creek because of Berties economy policies. And FG are banging the nails in the coffin.

And because of the people who voted for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

One of Bertie's cock suckers so.

That's why he has a rain-hat sewn into his flies, so the cock-suckers don't get their head wet, he's considerate I'll give him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I honestly believe that he is delusional. Like his mentor, he created a personality cult for his brown nosers ......... all the time, like a Dickensian character, counting his hoard and looking for the next freebie. This emotionally void Machiavelli has now only got his pints of Bass to feed his, er, personal needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Stakeout now though, not close protection.

Advertisement