Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I have the size of an area, how many tonnes do I need?? Confused

• 24-09-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi there , I'm hoping someone can answer this .. I have a 45 sq metres of an area and I want to spread 804 hardcore , over this area of a depth of 6/8 inches.
    How many tonnes of 804 will I need?
    Any Carol vordermans out there ??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

You have 9.144 cubic metres to fill (using 8 inches as = .2032 linear meters)

You need all measurements in either metric or imperial, Ring the suppliers, they'll convert 9.144 cubic metres to tonnes based on the material you want to buy. I don't have volume to weight converters handy.

Oh and I'd prefer to be associated with Rachel Reilly rather than the substantially mummified Ms. Vordermann :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

mathepac wrote: »

You need to all measurements in either metric or imperial, Ring the suppliers, they'll convert 9.144 cubic metres to tonnes based on the material you want to buy. I don't have volume to weight converters handy.

Oh and I'd prefer to be associated with Rachel Reilly rather than the substantially mummified Ms. Vordermann :)

I really confused now:( where with the what now!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

mathepac wrote: »

You need to all measurements in either metric or imperial, Ring the suppliers, they'll convert 9.144 cubic metres to tonnes based on the material you want to buy. I don't have volume to weight converters handy.

What he said. We can break it down to calculate for one square metre.

Taking the depth you want as 8 inches. Convert this to metric which equals 0.2032 metres. So you need 0.2032 cubic metres of material for every square metre. Multiply this by 45 and you get 9.144 cubic metres. This is how many cubic metres of material is required to cover the area at a depth of 8 inches.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Ring up your local supplier of 804 and explain to them that you wish to fill in a area that is 9.2 cubic meters,ask how much stone would be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I'm guestimating a bit here, but if a full builders one tonne bag is about .7 of a cubic metre..... 13 x .7= 9.1.....therefore you'll be needing around 13 tommes [a good half load, rather than a full one maybe?]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'd be inclined to add 5% to your cubic volume to allow for low and soft spots in the dig, rounding up to 9.5 m3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,22 tonne should sort you out.

Thats approx a full tipper truck load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

For 32 sqm it took me 8 tons so using a little simple math i imagine

1 ton =32/8 = 4

So if you have 45 then you need 10-11 tons btw i went to the exact same dept. Bear in mind you will be wacking it down. but as said above any 804 provider will convert for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

45sq.m *0.2sq.m = 9cu.m

Conservatively take density as 2000kg/cu.m then;

9cu.m * 2000kg/cu.m = 18000kg or 18 tonne

The amount you use will of course depend on the level of compaction you specify.

Ok , I will ring my supplier but all the posts here have ranged from 9 ton to 22 ton!!! Someone has to be way off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Crushed aggregate, one-inch crushed concrete, recycled asphalt, 3/8-inch pea gravel, 2-inch sewer filter rock, and concrete and asphalt aggregate blends all weigh in at 1.07 tons. Pit run gravel follows at 1.25 tons per cubic meter, regardless of whether it is 2-inch or 4-inch. The heaviest of the crushed rock selections are Angular Rip Rap and white granite, weighing in at 1.34 tons per cubic meter.

If you weren't already confused...though did seem to work for me
    Pit run being 804

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Here is a handy sand/gravel/harcore calculator http://www.longwatergravel.co.uk/calc.asp just stick in your measurements and it will give you the quantity you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Hawklady - Going on Martin46585' s figure of 1.25 tonne per cubic metre -
    1.25 x 9.1 = 11.37 tonne....so a 'half load' should do you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cannyfradock

What do you call a Welshman with a stick up his ar*e?....a Taffy apple!!

Here is (A Welshman) my calculation ........

First off....go all metric or all imperial. You have 45 square meters x 6/8 inches. In metric.....45 square meters x (maximum) 20cms. This equates to 9 cubic meters. To find the mass of a cubic measurement you multiply the cubic measurement by 2.2. which equals 19.8 ton.......or perhaps I've just confused the issue?

Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,Look at the table here(Click on Sizes and Weights and scroll down to the bottom)
    It says for compacted 804 there are 2.3 tonnes in a cubic metre (m3) so therefore you would need approx 21 tonne,give or take.

http://www.roadstone.ie/commercial/product_details.aspx?id=267

Just letting you know that the answer is 18 ton. I got it in and it's the exact amount needed. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

harry21 wrote: »
    45sq.m *0.2sq.m = 9cu.m

Conservatively take density as 2000kg/cu.m then;

9cu.m * 2000kg/cu.m = 18000kg or 18 tonne

The amount you use will of course depend on the level of compaction you specify.

Yes :D

Advertisement