Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this phrase grammatically contradictory?

• 24-09-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

"a benign affliction" I would really appreciate some help here.. I want to use it in a piece of slam poetry. Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There isn't enough of it to be correct or not. It's how you use the phrase that makes it correct or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

yo momma's a benign affliction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Nope, it might depend on context, but a benign affliction is definitely possible. What are you referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

I have a small wart that is a benign affliction.

However, I found "gramatically contradictory" quite humourous, so that phrase is a keeper.

"Is this phrase an oxymoron" may have been a better title, as your title sounded like an oxymoron itself. I clicked it because I thought you were having me on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it's a paradox. An affliction, by definition, is painful and compromising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

It's a bit of an oxymoron, but how successful it is depends on the context you're using it in. Think of that famous example from Romeo & Juliet:
    O heavy lightness! Serious vanity!
    Misshapen chaos of well-seeming forms!
    Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health!
    What's the poem about? Would the contradiction work for what you're trying to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

grammar schmammer

it's poetry for crying out loud

if it sounds good use it...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think it's a paradox.
    Yes. One that is usable.
    alfa beta wrote: »
    grammar schmammer

it's poetry for crying out loud

if it sounds good use it...!
    There is more to poetry than sound.