Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying NFC Tag Information

Options
  • 24-09-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Hey

Is there any way of being able to copy my leap card and college ID card NFC information to my phone and use the phone instead of the bunch of cards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 billykwok

Would be a good idea. I would like to know too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Generally the tags are either encrypted or they just use the tag ID itself for identification. Which I believe can't be replaced to another NFC Tag.

Don't hold me to it, it's just what I have grasped from scanning my cards. It may in fact be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

We always swiped our cards for library books. This year we had to bring them in to get them updated. So I presume its just some extra code they added.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This may be technically possible, but I'm not sure. The tags are client devices, and the phone is a host, and while two phones can talk, I dont know if the phone can act as a client, which it'd have to do for reader points to accept them.

I was considering copying my luas smart card to a small sticker and put it on my keys or bag, but at one time using the luas when I was inspected they insisted I take my card out to show them when I held out my wallet to be scanned(which is normally fine). So just to be safe, I'd probably end up carrying the card too, so not a huge benefit.

Would be nice to have dublin bike and luas on two small tags on my keyring though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

We have only just got Intergrated Public Transport Cards i think NFC is a LONG way off lol:D

• Advertisement

We have only just got Intergrated Public Transport Cards i think NFC is a LONG way off lol:D

Well their using NFC already. Wish they would make an app to make use of the same system. Just without the hassle of having to top up your card or other crap.

Why not use the existing infrastructure. There might not be too many phones out there with NFC, but if things like this won't come, people won't see the point of a phone with NFC either.

As above, its NFC already! Any card that doesnt go through a slot to be read will be NFC.

Just got a new Visa Debit from the bank, NFC enabled and readable by my Xperia S.

Now to clone all my familys cards and become a millionaire €15 at a time :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Some NFC cards store the account information on them as well, and in some systems users have been able to copy the card and just keep resetting the balance.

I'm not sure what protection the Luas cards have, or how they work, but I'd bet there won't ever be an official way to copy them and use them from your phone.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Some NFC cards store the account information on them as well, and in some systems users have been able to copy the card and just keep resetting the balance.

I'm not sure what protection the Luas cards have, or how they work, but I'd bet there won't ever be an official way to copy them and use them from your phone.

The system will charge you for not tagging off, so it tracks balances, thus there would be no point writing to each card every time(would also increase the chances of card failure and decrease lifespan). I suspect its just an identifier or pair of such.

• Advertisement

I had forgotten tagging off. Thinking about it now you can top up online too.

You're right, the card itself must just store identifiers (though it might store some tagging on/off for the conductors who check them, unless they rely on mobile data)

I had forgotten tagging off. Thinking about it now you can top up online too.

You're right, the card itself must just store identifiers (though it might store some tagging on/off for the conductors who check them, unless they rely on mobile data)

Their pocket readers seem to have a small delay, so I'd hazard a guess thats the delay with them calling back to the system.

Gonna buy some writeable tags and try this when they arrive.

It looks like the Lumia 920 at least will have pretty flexible NFC:

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-windows-phone-8-handsets-will-come-with-nfc-reader-and-writer-app/

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-windows-phone-8-handsets-will-come-with-nfc-reader-and-writer-app/

All the android top level phones have NFC, WP7 has NFC, but iPhone 5 does not. This could get interesting, but Visa now doing contactless may mute the whole thing.

ED E wrote: »

All the android top level phones have NFC, WP7 has NFC, but iPhone 5 does not. This could get interesting, but Visa now doing contactless may mute the whole thing.

I would rather just have everything on my phone. (dreams of the day I can use my phone as my wallet and forget about cash)

Cash is expensive, like big bucks to mint and maintain. Thats the way we're headed.

Advertisement