Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/Winter FI Charts 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

20th and potential for a nice autumn storm!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

In the last week of this month, the GEFS has been hinting a flood of cold air south over North America to bring an early start to winter there for some. Siberia too is affected.

Interestingly, it remains quite warm elsewhere in Russia and much of southern and eastern Europe.

224012.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

shocked.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1349299085818

224032.png

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

224032.png[/Quote]

Well... That would knock some leaves off the trees! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Check out the end of FI on the latest GFS. High pressure dominating the Atlantic. High pressure over Greenland. A northerly airflow bring snow into Scotland. -5 uppers on their way down to Ireland and the 528 dam line is already down over Ulster.

Wjo0t.png

hTAa1.png

Not bad for October 27th eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Right Maq, im banking that chart above, it better happen now ! :p

That would fit in nicely for my October forecast ;)
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    I shall get the ball rolling so! :)

IMT .... MAX .... MIN .... PRC .... SUN .... xx.x
    9.9C 19.2C -3.6C 88% 105% 29.0 mm ....

+ Snowfall on high ground in Northern areas ;)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    shocked.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1349299085818

224032.png

Made me think of my First proper storm chase! , I miss Winger_PL !

224078.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

224032.png
    Well... That would knock some leaves off the trees! :)

Might not be any trees to knock the leaves off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Might not be any trees to knock the leaves off :pac:

what sort of wind speeds would that weather system generate over Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Wouldn't be able to tell you myself, maybe one of the more informed members here could :P

Hard to tell without seeing a high resolution version of that. It would probably be sub 950mb in reality. 150kph gusts maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Storms are one thing I'm really going to miss this winter if it follows the recent trend, for whatever reason Donegal seems to have taken a direct hit from every single major storm in recent years. One of my favourite weather experiences to go up to the cliffs and face into the full force of a good storm, its about time one tracked further south though so hopefully we might get lucky yet

If this was on the operational run and we could see a higher res chart, we'd probably see this is actually down to around the 930mb mark.

i5bKp.png

LarryDavid-faint-CurbYourEnthusiasm-fall-passout-1348523706L.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Those vids you guys are putting up are hilarious!!:D This is a particularly good set of runs isn't it? I don't remember us getting these this time last year (and I know it's only FI) and look how the winter turned out - there wasn't one!

True leahly , last year was more of a northerly track with the jet stream much further north , this year though as i said alreadys reminds me alot like 2010 , with the chance of some strong lows hitting the west before hopefully a big northerly just before the end of the month with a brief mild spell then possible.

Certainly an interesting time for model watching .

With the AO in negative atm and due to recover a bit later on , ill be looking then for a reoccurrence of 2010 too of it diving then mid November to get the Winter started! :)

ao.mrf.gif

leahyl wrote: »
    Those vids you guys are putting up are hilarious!!:D This is a particularly good set of runs isn't it? I don't remember us getting these this time last year (and I know it's only FI) and look how the winter turned out - there wasn't one!

Well we are just cherrypicking for fun. For every one of those dramatic charts there are 20 other versions of the same run with nothing like that.

Around about the 16th to the 21st seems to be the time when we'll be dealing with low pressue, but whether it will be wet and windy or very wet and windy remains to be seen.

B848y.gif

Its always fun seeing graphs go off the charts :) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

A couple of weeks ago I heard Colm Hayes (I thinks that's who it was - came in mid sentence) reading out an article from national geographic about the jet stream being very far out into the Atlantic which was causing those terrible dust storms in Texas and if it didn't come back towards us by I think early October, we'd have a humdinger of a cold winter. Do you guys know anything about that? I have been searching for it but haven't come across it yet. I'd LOVE it to be true

More fun and games on the 12Z GFS.

hiM4A.png

0064_qaev.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

How are the other models in comparison with that chart? What kind of weather would we expect? (I know it's 7 days out, I want to learn what the chart would bring)

Would I be right in saying that we would get severe Gales and lots of rain because it's coming off the Atlantic? Cold air also being pulled down from the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

How are the other models in comparison with that chart? What kind of weather would we expect?

Would I be right in saying that we would get severe Gales and lots of rain because it's coming off the Atlantic? Cold air also being pulled down from the North?

IF that chart were to come off, it would have the capacity to do serious damage, probably violent storm force winds with a central pressure like that. However, its 1 single perturbation out of 20, all of which are run at low resolution, and it's 174hrs out, far off in FI. For those reasons I'd estimate the chances of it coming off at less than 0.1% chance.

edit: and it would bring mainly southerly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Thanks for that catch!

Where do you view that kind of chart?

Thanks for that catch!

Where do you view that kind of chart?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php

The closest decent CFS charts are in mid December. First off, brief -8 850's:

224271.png

Quickly disappears, but then followed by an easterly:

224272.png

224273.png

Unfortunately if this is anything to go by (which it isn't) there wouldn't be the depth of cold in the east to sustain it for any length. But it's nice to dream!

Interesting FI rolling out on the 12Z GFS. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Interesting FI rolling out on the 12Z GFS. :pac:

Ooooh yes! Good spot! Only 8 days away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pleasuredeath

Can we see the pic?

Funny-gif-excited-kid-baby-happy.gif

403734_359692224122383_524332211_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Snow on Luqnaquilla and no where else :rolleyes:

Advertisement