Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/Winter FI Charts 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Here we go again!
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    12 18 z rolling out now...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZo9Jx1nD18xx6e1OIxLk2J8SSARCxx5zDBjCPBrELxr7jSCCz_Ebq8gU5Bg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Here we go again!

If yer bitin yer nails on October 19th you'll have no fingers left by Christmas Ian. :D

If yer bitin yer nails on October 19th you'll have no fingers left by Christmas Ian. :D

Sure... theyll be frost bitten by then anyways!... :rolleyes: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just for fun, this evening's ECMWF 186hr (27th) forecast pattern for the greater NE Atlantic region is not overly dissimilar that which brought a brief smathering of snow to some central and northern areas on the morning of October 29th 2008.

27th Oct forecast chart:
    225135.png

29th Oct 2008:
    225134.png

(posted in wrong thread a few mins ago)

Bit of a hold back from this run but im still happy with it considering its the 18z . :)

• Advertisement

Bit of a hold back from this run but im still happy with it considering its the 18z . :)

It's over 120 hours away so will chop and change with every run anyway. Interesting early one to follow, but I'm not expecting anything really for us even if it does come off.

0Z ECM and UKMO will be interesting in the morning. :)

It's over 120 hours away so will chop and change with every run anyway. Interesting early one to follow, but I'm not expecting anything really for us even if it does come off.

0Z ECM and UKMO will be interesting in the morning. :)

oh god ye ill be shocked to see anything come down this far this early, im looking out for northern areas, Tyler Collins may have his first snow chase of the season! :pac:

Sadly im in work 2moro so wont be able to follow in with the fun only sneaking in for a min on my phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I thought immediately of this (sigh) after looking at the charts a few mins ago, shame it's months too early :mad: It wouldn't surprise if this winter will be as dismal as the last one.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2010/brack/bracka20101216.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I thought immediately of this (sigh) after looking at the charts a few mins ago, shame it's months too early :mad: It wouldn't surprise if this winter will be as dismal as the last one.

Straight from the Fram Strait...the Greenland Express!

Greenland+Express%25282%2529.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Overall a very positive GFS 12z run...continuous northern blocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

They were some good days:D:D

Who knows, maybe we will experience the likes of it more often!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

With ECM it looks decidedly colder at 96hrs up north but looking like it will be repressed on the next frames by the ridge of high pressure floating over us.

With ECM it looks decidedly colder at 96hrs up north but looking like it will be repressed on the next frames by the ridge of high pressure floating over us.

FI is looking interesting on this run...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

FI is looking interesting on this run...

GEM, UKMO and ECM all looking fairly similar at 144hrs, GFS not too far off either. What happens afterwards is interesting though, the low which initially looked like pushing into Scandanavia takes a swing south westwards towards the UK instead. A nice cold Halloween could be on the cards :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Uppers of -6 for some next weekend according to the GFS. Very respectable temps so early in the season.

225218.png

Time to see if the 18Z will provide us with some entertaining FI-ness.

Massive blocking showing again into deep FI on the 18Z.

If only it was winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Massive blocking showing again into deep FI on the 18Z.

If only it was winter!

To be honest it's just nice to see actual potential in the charts, even if it is too early. A few of these come off and we've then got a decent base for some even colder weather to come along later on, and the whole winter window for it to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A shame its happening 2 months too early, should still be an interesting setup but obviously it wont deliver in the same way as if it was late December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Harps wrote: »
    A shame its happening 2 months too early, should still be an interesting setup but obviously it wont deliver in the same way as if it was late December

Its not really 2 months too early- this is the type of pattern we need to setup as we start winter, Disrupted Pv and lots of Northern blocking is a good sign now and who knows, if it continues the pv may never get to set up properly. Im quite surprised at the charts at the moment- not typical at all.

We have most of the building blocks in place for a great winter (for Cold), all we need is the strat to play ball a bit more and we will be sorted! (strat isnt looking bad anyway) :)

Dan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

To be honest it's just nice to see actual potential in the charts,

That's all we had last winter. Potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Its not really 2 months too early- this is the type of pattern we need to setup as we start winter, Disrupted Pv and lots of Northern blocking is a good sign now and who knows, if it continues the pv may never get to set up properly. Im quite surprised at the charts at the moment- not typical at all.

We have most of the building blocks in place for a great winter (for Cold), all we need is the strat to play ball a bit more and we will be sorted! (strat isnt looking bad anyway) :)

I have to disagree with you. In Dec '10 we all thought we were in for a '47 or '63 didn't we. Even when the thaw came just after xmas I thought the cold would return but it didn't. Things don't work out the way we want most of the time unfortunately.
    This is what we ended up with Jan, it must have been 12-14c on this day.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2011/brack/bracka20110116.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

So folks are we going to see sub zero
    Tems from
    Friday on to the 4th of November as some weather channels are predicting?

Sappa wrote: »
    So folks are we going to see sub zero
    Tems from
    Friday on to the 4th of November as some weather channels are predicting?

Probably low single digits for Friday, a chance to go sub zero next weekend, but its too far away to say for certain and not possible yet to know if it will last a couple of days or a bit longer.

I have to disagree with you. In Dec '10 we all thought we were in for a '47 or '63 didn't we. Even when the thaw came just after xmas I thought the cold would return but it didn't. Things don't work out the way we want most of the time unfortunately.
    This is what we ended up with Jan, it must have been 12-14c on this day.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2011/brack/bracka20110116.gif

End of November/December 2010 was an excellent spell of Cold weather that very few would be dissapointed with- If you are saying things arent looking good because we may end up with a spell like December 2010 then you're expectations are way way too high. In alot of ways 1947 was similar- the cold didnt start properly til the end of January- meaning only about 5 weeks of exceptional cold/snow, yes march was also baltic but it isnt a winter month. We almost achieved 5 weeks of solid cold in 2010 with only the second week in December being remotely normal. 1947 definitley beats 2010 for snow depths though.

1963 was in a different class altogether when it comes to extreme Cold- only 2 winters colder In the UK in the past 300 years! Ireland was under very similar conditions.

I think I speak for almost everyone on this forum when I say a repeat of November/December 2010 would be very welcome!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really want a repeat of the winters of 2009/2010 but if we could be spared the snow and ice for the 2 weeks leading up to Christmas that would be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

I like the snow prediction for the 06Z GFS charts for 264 hours

06_264_snowdepth.png?cb=17

srmambo wrote: »
    I like the snow prediction for the 06Z GFS charts for 264 hours

06_264_snowdepth.png?cb=17

Wooo home from work! Finally can relax!

Roiiiight , I will be genuinely surprised to see any snow at low levels from current models . The 528 dam line is still too far to the east according to the gfs,

Any talk from uk papers or weather sites of snow will be mostly for only Scotland and northeastern england. NI might see some at low levels perhaps but nothing considerable... then again , ANY snow in October id imagine is considerable :rolleyes:

225288.png

Still, i agree with Blizzard, best to see some cold at things shaping up for more chances of colder snaps further down the line . :)

Im looking forward to frosty , hopefully icy mornings with clear skies for some astro shots! :)

Off to make a nice cup of tea and then back for the 12z ..... so... who takes milk ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

I just want to say that if we do get a cold spell this early I think there is the chance that we could end up with a mild and reasonably dry November, December and January in most parts and in February we might see some snow develop as these cold conditions seem reminiscent of those in October 2008 (I remember there being some pretty bad hail showers at that time).
    27th to 31st: A cold front moving
    southeastwards across the country on the
    26th introduced a very cold Arctic
    airstream over Ireland. Wintry showers,
    some heavy, were recorded each day, with a
    band of rain over all areas on the 29th
    falling as sleet or snow as it moved
    eastwards across the country; snow
    accumulated in some northern and upland
    areas. Both daytime and nightime
    temperatures were between five and eight
    degrees below normal, with widespread
    ground frost, severe in places. Strong
    north to northwesterly winds veered to a
    more northeasterly direction later.

Source: Met Eireann's past weather archives: http://www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/oct08_lores.pdf

• Advertisement

srmambo wrote: »
    I just want to say that if we do get a cold spell this early I think there is the chance that we could end up with a mild and reasonably dry November, December and January in most parts and in February we might see some snow develop as these cold conditions seem reminiscent of those in October 2008 (I remember there being some pretty bad hail showers at that time).

Source: Met Eireann's past weather archives: http://www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/oct08_lores.pdf

Past weather patterns do not repeat eachother identicaly and at the same time of the year... what happened in 2008 has no bearing on what happens this winter...

Advertisement